• Aug 7th, 2021 3:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
901 posts
162 upvotes
Montreal

Ikea efficancy?

Did some shopping at Ikea Montreal yesterday. Bought numerous small items and a bulky one. Scanned everything including the bulky one (most expensive at $40). Replied yes when asked if we scanned all items. On the way home, wife was looking at bill because it felt weird and we noticed that the bulky item did not scan.

We immediately returned and talked to the people at the cash we used and were told to go to returns because the camera has to be checked? Spoke to the person handing out the numbers and were told to go outside and wait our turn and then come in. I did and after explaining the situation, I was given a number and told to wait my turn. I explained and paid the amount. The whole episode took 1 hour to correct.

I thought Nordic efficiency would be better than this.
27 replies
Mar 28, 2011
985 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto
You are a good person and seems they don’t want your money…ideally they could have just scanned the item and you pay right there at the cash register
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6929 upvotes
The NORTH
redflag5050 wrote: Did some shopping at Ikea Montreal yesterday. Bought numerous small items and a bulky one. Scanned everything including the bulky one (most expensive at $40). Replied yes when asked if we scanned all items. On the way home, wife was looking at bill because it felt weird and we noticed that the bulky item did not scan.

We immediately returned and talked to the people at the cash we used and were told to go to returns because the camera has to be checked? Spoke to the person handing out the numbers and were told to go outside and wait our turn and then come in. I did and after explaining the situation, I was given a number and told to wait my turn. I explained and paid the amount. The whole episode took 1 hour to correct.

That's a lot of steps to try and correct an error. Not a lot of people would have jumped thru those hoops, good on you.
Dec 4, 2013
668 posts
293 upvotes
Mississauga
Good karma will find you for this. Don't you worry, my son!!!
Nov 22, 2018
134 posts
130 upvotes
Brampton, On
After the 1st roadblock, I would have just saved the trouble and walked it through the cash like I was buying it for the 1st time again. Even if you sent your wife through the checkout while you waited with the bulky item at the end of the checkout area just to make it look like you didn't try to buy another one.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2417 posts
1519 upvotes
Vancouveresque
I've never really understood why the returns desk at Ikea takes so long. Even before the pandemic, it's always been a huge hassle.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2821 posts
1484 upvotes
B.C.
GeeCee wrote: I've never really understood why the returns desk at Ikea takes so long. Even before the pandemic, it's always been a huge hassle.
I assume it's like Costco and they try to discourage returns without challenging them. My Costco has a line out the door and around the corner for returns. They have to part it so it doesn't block the tire centre!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2417 posts
1519 upvotes
Vancouveresque
lennyandcarl wrote: I assume it's like Costco and they try to discourage returns without challenging them. My Costco has a line out the door and around the corner for returns. They have to part it so it doesn't block the tire centre!
I mean, sure, Costco's one thing, but that's mostly because they're trying to keep the line out of the building for covid reasons. Ikea had you taking numbers before the pandemic, then they had people booking time slots and waiting in several hour lines..

it's absurd how much these companies make, but they can't be bothered to pay their employees a proper wage or have enough of them on shift to help their customers.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Banned
Jun 28, 2021
3 posts
4 upvotes
If you were a millionaire/billionaire chain owner wouldn't you make the return process lengthy to lines your pockets with a few extra shekels?! It's a victimless crime man! Leave those rich executives and CEOs alone!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22091 posts
8468 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Their systems are slow for returns, sucks in this case that you didn't even have to go but they didn't expect your scenario and make it difficult because you missed paying for an item, its just that their return system is slow and they don't have a dedicated cashier for people returning to pay for items that they accidentally didn't scan.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23341 posts
18798 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
redflag5050 wrote: We immediately returned and talked to the people at the cash we used and were told to go to returns because the camera has to be checked?
This makes no sense. If you didn't pay at original checkout then paying at the cash makes everything even. If you did pay originally then you're double paying. IKEA loses nothing either way and may even get some free money. So why the need to put an honest customer "through the grinder"?
1, Where did you learn this stereotype? [Germans are also considered efficient. Check out the history of BER airport. Ask a German about the efficiency of Die Bahn. Ask a German Canadian to compare our bureaucracy with Germany's. Etc.]
2. Even if true, the vast majority of people who work at IKEA Canada stores aren't Nordic.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
901 posts
162 upvotes
Montreal
bylo wrote: This makes no sense. If you didn't pay at original checkout then paying at the cash makes everything even. If you did pay originally then you're double paying. IKEA loses nothing either way and may even get some free money. So why the need to put an honest customer "through the grinder"?

1, Where did you learn this stereotype? [Germans are also considered efficient. Check out the history of BER airport. Ask a German about the efficiency of Die Bahn. Ask a German Canadian to compare our bureaucracy with Germany's. Etc.]
2. Even if true, the vast majority of people who work at IKEA Canada stores aren't Nordic.
As mentioned, we bought many items amongst which were 12 hangers that had to be scanned individually, We scanned the the item in question and we thought it went through but obviously it did not. We went back to the same cash because that's where we were originally. Logically, the person in charge should have just let us scan the item again, pay for it and be on our way. Instead, she panicked and told us to go to returns etc.etc. Hence the complaint about efficiency.

Nordic efficiency is famous just like some say Canadian bacon and maple syrup are best. As annoying putting Ikea stuff together is, people still admire the fact that it is an efficient to make and sell furniture. Mercedes and VW make cars in China and Mexico but the technology, the system are still German even though the workforce is local.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
901 posts
162 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote: Their systems are slow for returns, sucks in this case that you didn't even have to go but they didn't expect your scenario and make it difficult because you missed paying for an item, its just that their return system is slow and they don't have a dedicated cashier for people returning to pay for items that they accidentally didn't scan.
The person who assigns you a number when you state what your business there is, return/exchange/reimbursement, should have the wits to fix this simple issue. I actually asked for a supervisor (They're called coordinator at Ikea) and explained the situation. Hopefully they do something about this.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23341 posts
18798 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
redflag5050 wrote: As mentioned, we bought many items amongst which were 12 hangers that had to be scanned individually, We scanned the the item in question and we thought it went through but obviously it did not. We went back to the same cash because that's where we were originally. Logically, the person in charge should have just let us scan the item again, pay for it and be on our way. Instead, she panicked and told us to go to returns etc.etc. Hence the complaint about efficiency.
I understood all of that the first time. That's why I said it makes no sense (because IKEA has nothing to lose by making it easy for you to pay at the original cash.)
Nordic efficiency is famous
Could have fooled me. It certainly fooled Dr Google who was only able to find articles about Nordic energy efficiency.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2821 posts
1484 upvotes
B.C.
redflag5050 wrote: As mentioned, we bought many items amongst which were 12 hangers that had to be scanned individually, We scanned the the item in question and we thought it went through but obviously it did not. We went back to the same cash because that's where we were originally. Logically, the person in charge should have just let us scan the item again, pay for it and be on our way. Instead, she panicked and told us to go to returns etc.etc. Hence the complaint about efficiency.

Nordic efficiency is famous just like some say Canadian bacon and maple syrup are best. As annoying putting Ikea stuff together is, people still admire the fact that it is an efficient to make and sell furniture. Mercedes and VW make cars in China and Mexico but the technology, the system are still German even though the workforce is local.
The person supervising the self checkouts is likely more afraid of getting in trouble than making sure you paid for your thing. Even the supervisor is likely suspicious.

I'm not sure how Ikea is to work for (but haven't heard good things) but retail doesn't treat workers very well in general and also doesn't empower people to solve problems readily. Everything must follow the procedures so matter what. Those procedures probably don't cover what happens if someone forgets to scan something, leaves the store, then returns. They do however have a huge danger zone about people grabbing merchandise from the store and returning it. Add to this likely being overworked and underpaid and the result is what you experienced.To be honest I think Costco might be the only store that actually lets their employees act like people that can think as a policy - anywhere else it happens is a fluke.

I've never worked at Ikea but I've worked retail and I'd try to help customers with issues and management was what I can only describe as spiteful. There are some nasty miserable people and they do seem to enjoy making employees and/or customers miserable too.

Lots of stuff I witnessed working retail would make your head spin. Customer comes in with a $900 tool box that was missing the bolts to hold the wheels on. Instead of handing them the $8 worth of bolts from the bulk hardware bins and writing that off they would write off the entire $900 tool box and throw it in the trash. Technically it makes sense - the store owner is reimbursed by corporate for the tool box if they write it off, the bolts would have been out of their own pocket - but in the grand scheme of things it's utterly insane. That giant tool box came all the way from china, all the way across canada, now it's half crushed in a landfill somewhere.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
901 posts
162 upvotes
Montreal
I've noticed in many places where self checkout is used and just before paying, you're asked if all items where scanned and you must reply to finish. Ikea does it too. I thought this was because my scenario happens often enough and therefore a solution would have been implemented. Then again what do I know about the retail business.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13600 upvotes
GeeCee wrote: it's absurd how much these companies make, but they can't be bothered to pay their employees a proper wage or have enough of them on shift to help their customers.
This is pretty much the reason I don't shop at Walmart and the reason I prefer shopping at Costco.
It's shocking how much paying and treating your employees well means to the customer service experience.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
5890 posts
6929 upvotes
The NORTH
death_hawk wrote: This is pretty much the reason I don't shop at Walmart and the reason I prefer shopping at Costco.
It's shocking how much paying and treating your employees well means to the customer service experience.
Same, my New Years resolution was to avoid walmart, I haven't been in one all year. I know, I know, peeing into the ocean but I feel better. :)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17848 posts
15296 upvotes
Eastern Ontario

Nordic efficiency is famous just like some say Canadian bacon and maple syrup are best.
As annoying putting Ikea stuff together is, people still admire the fact that it is an efficient to make and sell furniture. Mercedes and VW make cars in China and Mexico but the technology, the system are still German even though the workforce is local.
Difference here is Bacon & Maple Syrup are THINGS
Things are products / raw materials
They as such cannot be stereo typed
Only people can be stereo typed
Which is WHY stereo types are considered OFFENSIVE

Be they positive or negative stereo types
Or another way to put it … people are not homogenized

You cannot use such generalizations for a country, race, ethnicity, gender etc

You can say that Nordic countries are known for their wood furniture
Or their flat pack methods

But you need to stop stereo typing the idea that one country’s people is more efficient
Than another
Cuz it implies that a particular race / nationality is superior to everyone else
And this is wrong

Given the same resources … it could be any country / people that would excel equally well
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
901 posts
162 upvotes
Montreal
"But you need to stop stereo typing the idea that one country’s people is more efficient
Than another
Cuz it implies that a particular race / nationality is superior to everyone else
And this is wrong"

As learned many years ago, I never engage in online back and forth where there is no net gain to the spectators. You win. Bravo!