75 upvotes
Markham
Spiritualx wrote: Yeah I don't have the tools and patience for wood working lol
StructTube it is.
Nov 26, 2003
104 posts
75 upvotes
Markham
mussitate wrote: Can I get this sanded and treated at a hardware store?
Not likely unless you get your hardware at a friend's house or a wood shop. Grinning Face
Dec 8, 2009
971 posts
444 upvotes
Is it compatible with other ikea desk legs?
Jul 16, 2009
233 posts
219 upvotes
Thanks OP! Timing is perfect- got a standing desk from prime cables last sale and was waiting for a new tabletop
Aug 11, 2006
410 posts
56 upvotes
I believe they used to have a 74 or 78 inch version of this. I guess it's discontinued. This is a great deal though.
cpu - i7 2600k [email protected], mobo - p8z68v-pro, gpu - XFX RX 580 GTS Black , ram - g.skill ripjaws x 16gb 1600, cooling - noctua nh-d14, case - corsair 600t white, hdd - 1TB WD black + 480gb Crucial SSD, psu - corsair TX650M *** R.I.P Dec. 16 2020
Oct 18, 2012
584 posts
707 upvotes
Montréal
I bought it early this year, haven't installed yet, for anyone sand it first, what grit did you use?
May 30, 2012
16 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
SamuelNapper wrote: What's the procedure to sand/finish? Does it suffice to sand with a random orbit sander and apply some sort of oil?
I did a light manual sand when purchased and a couple treatment rounds of oil . Added more oil after a few months as it was looking dry. It looks about time to oil again. But I'm no woodworking expert.
It does show water rings quite easily, I also use felt pads on the bottom of my keyboard as it slides around.
Jan 1, 2019
113 posts
333 upvotes
Love my gerton but i had to sand it down. Also would recommend another oil vs the one sold at ikea. I put my gerton in my bedroom and the smell from the oil was really nauseating for a few weeks and it comes and goes still.
May 11, 2014
520 posts
327 upvotes
BC
I have one of these solid wood ikea tops and they're great this gerton is less than half of what I paid. Its a no brainer if your on the fence and a lot of room for one ultra wide monitor or 2 normal monitors. With 4 cheap adjustable ikea legs and being pushed up to a wall the desk is solid and almost unnoticeable monitor shake. I think this is a better option if you are looking for a minimalist, spacious, customizable and easy to handle solution. Those old mdf or even solid wood desks with drawers attached are a massive pain to move around, edit. the adjustable legs are a must if you struggle to find a ideal sitting position with non adjustable desks, much cheaper than an electric desk and more reliable.
Last edited by random1234 on Jun 1st, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 25, 2011
178 posts
256 upvotes
BURLINGTON
I have purchased at least 8 of these over the years, including an older thicker version. I have made tables, countertops, (I used a corian insert around the sink) and work benches. Great utility top. Great price. Especially since alternatives have gone crazy in price.
As others have noted, you will need basic woodworking skills.
Jun 12, 2020
283 posts
148 upvotes
I have been eyeing on the Gerton for a while but I am still hesitating. Sanding and painting are fine for me, I think I can manage, but I don't have an extra/empty space at home to store it until the smell from the paint to go away. Anyone has tried it in an apartment with limited space?
Nov 25, 2010
25 posts
8 upvotes
Thank you! I've been eyeing his for awhile now, definitely had to pull the trigger at this price
Feb 26, 2013
93 posts
51 upvotes
I bought this a counter for over my washer and dryer since it happened to me the exact dimensions that I needed.

Ended up just sanding 80/150/220 and sealing.

Over all pretty happy with it for the price.
Sep 11, 2010
117 posts
70 upvotes
the pickup option are limited to only tomorrow and not the rest of the week! anyone else having issues?
Nov 2, 2009
29 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
sud28 wrote: the pickup option are limited to only tomorrow and not the rest of the week! anyone else having issues?
SAME HERE
Jun 4, 2018
318 posts
208 upvotes
Any recommendations on stain and oils? How often do the oil need to be applied?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)