Expired Hot Deals

IKEA

Ikea HUVUDSPELARE & UTESPELARE Gaming chairs in stock Ottawa Ikea (not supposed to be out until October?)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2021 1:35 am
[OP]
Dec 15, 2013
145 posts
164 upvotes
OTTAWA

[IKEA] Ikea HUVUDSPELARE & UTESPELARE Gaming chairs in stock Ottawa Ikea (not supposed to be out until October?)

I am not sure if this is a mistake or not but Ikea Ottawa has its line of gaming chairs available to purchase (HUVUDSPELARE & UTESPELARE) in-store. They are supposed to be released in October and are not yet on the Ikea website but you can buy them in the warehouse. They had the all-white version and the black version (pictured) we bought the black one.

The chair is full price ($229) but hasn't yet been officially released hence the post here. Has a 3 year warranty. NOt a bad deal, my son seems very happy.

22 replies
Feb 4, 2015
543 posts
1741 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Interesting to see Ikea get into the "gaming chair" racket.

I guess the red trim and red wheels justify the $50 premium over the standard chair? Need some RGB lights to make it more "gamer" I think.
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/markus-off ... -90289172/

Every time I see one of these things I think of the hideous racing stripes young people used to put on their cars back in the days. History does repeat itself in slightly varying ways. I'll go back into my cave now; will see you when Jetsons are a reality.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2013
145 posts
164 upvotes
OTTAWA
Ya, slightly different headrest... they also had an all white version but that seems like a terrible idea especially for gaming teens. The arm rests go up and down too. Indeed the "stripes" are all part of the gaming aesthetic it seems.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11494 posts
4616 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
Does this have a metal or plastic base? I will never get a plastic base chair again after having one break and causing injury to myself. My brother in law had the same thing happen to him a few years back,
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1190 posts
1221 upvotes
Toronto
Dreamrider wrote: this is gaming chair?
It has red stitching/lining so it is.....lol

Markus looks just as "gaming" and is imo a better buy just by looking at the two compared.
Last edited by Coresu on Sep 27th, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 23, 2010
83 posts
38 upvotes
Calgary
Verdic wrote: Interesting to see Ikea get into the "gaming chair" racket.

I guess the red trim and red wheels justify the $50 premium over the standard chair? Need some RGB lights to make it more "gamer" I think.

Every time I see one of these things I think of the hideous racing stripes young people used to put on their cars back in the days. History does repeat itself in slightly varying ways. I'll go back into my cave now; will see you when Jetsons are a reality.
The Markus chair is pretty good, I've been using it for years, this seems to be the same hopefully with some improvements like movable armrests and neck support. I have been looking to replace my old markus, this seems good.
Jun 18, 2008
600 posts
275 upvotes
Burnaby
ive had my markus for a little over a decade and the seats is still in one piece with no rips. headrest is flaking a tiny bit.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1875 posts
1532 upvotes
There are some differences compared to the Markus. The armest being a single vertical plastic (?) support, instead of dual support (metal); a different headrest design (including material).

Other subtle differences as well. For the price it seems okay... would have to test one out to know for sure.

The leather material on the Markus... I find it is not the best. Flakes over time, albeit very little and very slowly.
Apr 9, 2019
108 posts
47 upvotes
What a terrible looking chair (personal opinion). Probably is good quality though.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2402 posts
1917 upvotes
sports1 wrote: There are some differences compared to the Markus. The armest being a single vertical plastic (?) support, instead of dual support (metal); a different headrest design (including material).

Other subtle differences as well. For the price it seems okay... would have to test one out to know for sure.

The leather material on the Markus... I find it is not the best. Flakes over time, albeit very little and very slowly.
Arm rests look adjustable, worth the extra 50 if that is the case. Very underlooked feature in office chairs in ergonomics point of view.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1176 posts
1662 upvotes
Dreamrider wrote: this is gaming chair?
Do you not see the red wheels. 'I'm going fast mom, these wheels will help me as I am now going to spend hours in red dead redemption 2 skinning animals'...

A lot of this is just marketing scam/buzzwords. Just like the folks who use Military Grade or Mil-Spec as a selling feature. Gaming chair is irrelevant aside from making people think an 'office chair' won't help them game. All you shoukd think about is back support, and quallity of build. Not how it's colored etc. I know someone who bought an expensive gaming chair, that he doesn't sit in properly but is always hunched forward for hours playing Apex.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2721 posts
2090 upvotes
GTA
Heard this chair also gives you an extra 10 FPS. Great deal!
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1875 posts
1532 upvotes
slimysnot wrote: Arm rests look adjustable, worth the extra 50 if that is the case. Very underlooked feature in office chairs in ergonomics point of view.
Actually one of my larger nitpicks of the Markus. I picked mine up second hand, but I might consider selling it for this.

What's more interesting to me is the UTESPELARE gaming desk... looks like a solid buy, I'm likely to pick one up when it comes out. https://www.reddit.com/r/battlestations ... ming_desk/
Feb 22, 2010
482 posts
483 upvotes
Thanks OP, I was really expecting this line of chairs to at least meet the best features of the well-reviewed JÄRVFJÄLLET, but it seems they just created another generic "gaming chair".

I'll wait for the reviews before ordering.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1584 posts
541 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Not what I was picturing when I saw the title “Gaming Chair”

Looks more like a mesh basket to me.
Penalty Box
Sep 29, 2014
241 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

The most important part is its made out of high grade gaming pleather.
Sep 18, 2021
204 posts
45 upvotes
I’m not sure what the hype is about the Markus. It’s twice as expensive as something at Costco and doesn’t even feel as good to me.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3709 posts
1083 upvotes

Your mistaken, the extra $50 isn't for the red trim and wheels. This gaming chair gives you more FPS in games than the standard chair.

Thought everyone knew that?
Sep 16, 2011
393 posts
372 upvotes
Lethbridge
Is this the one that they co-created with ASUS? Looks like another junky gaming chair though tbh