Expired Hot Deals

[IKEA] Ikea Office Chair - JÄRVFJÄLLET - $169.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2020 10:03 am
Apr 23, 2011
389 posts
155 upvotes
Montreal
Got this 3 of this chairs during the $99 special. Very happy with them. Opted out of armrests to encourage sitting straight.
Jan 28, 2017
76 posts
96 upvotes
How can I check if this is available at North York location? Online it only lets me select Burlington. Calling in the only option?
May 29, 2017
302 posts
219 upvotes
How's this chair for extensive sitting periods, like 8-12 hours on your bum and back?
Oct 1, 2007
246 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
jackisbuying wrote: How can I check if this is available at North York location? Online it only lets me select Burlington. Calling in the only option?
You can change your store in the top right of the page and there should be an option when you click the location is suggesting. But - to save you some trouble, it isn't in stock in North York or Etobicoke.

Hopefully this is a new price and not just a sale that will end before more is in stock.
Dec 26, 2015
18 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
megarave wrote: Similar to other poster, had the markus for 5 years, good while it lasted. Only issue was that the cushion started to have a permanent indent. Possibly due to weight and sitting crossed legged. Longer hours got uncomfortable with the wfh situation and the ever growing imprint of my bottom ("permanent memory foam"). Sold it on kijiji, buyer said they were willing to refurbish it.

What chair did you end up replacing it with?
Mar 19, 2013
37 posts
18 upvotes
codex119 wrote: How's this chair for extensive sitting periods, like 8-12 hours on your bum and back?
I'm coming from a Markus, so aside from the wider, curved back, I don't see a massive difference.

Anyways, I certainly can't do 8-12 hours, but I think it depends how you sit. For me, I sit very upright, and I usually get 2-3 hours on it before my ass hurts. If I want back support, I have to lean the chair completely forward, which causes the seat pan to go forward as well. If you like to lean back, this chair is much better for that use case.

If you're spending that long in your chair, I'd generally recommend splurging on a proper office chair. I'm eyeing a Steelcase Leap or Herman Miller Aeron currently.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2007
1248 posts
98 upvotes
Oakville
I bought the JÄRVFJÄLLET for $99 last sale and also the Markus. Markus is more comfortable IMO because it has thicker seat cushion and wider back mesh. JÄRVFJÄLLET has adjustable headrest, lumbar, and set depth, but I don't find those do anything for me. The Markus is rarely on sale and never at a deep discount like this, for good reason.

I know this is RFD, but if you are WFH do not cheap out on an office chair. Buy a commercial chair, I cannot stress this enough. They are designed for to be sat on for 8+ hours - your back, neck, and shoulders will feel much better!

For used chair, my girlfriend purchased Haworth Zody from Newmarket Office Furniture for $250 + tx it was in 9/10 condition - other RFD'ers have purchased it chair as well

For new chair, I purchased a Hon Ignition 2.0 from Source Office Furnishings (Brampton) for $330+ tx, not as comfortable as the Haworth, but it was the cheapest new commercial grade chair. It's assembled in USA from a reputable company and has a lifetime warranty (though I take that with a grain of salt).

At work I had a Herman Miller Aeron, I'd give that a 9/10, I'd give the Haworth Zody a 8/10, Hon Ignition 2.0 a 7/10, Markus a 5.5/10, and the JÄRVFJÄLLET a 4/10
Nov 11, 2019
12 posts
1 upvote
Purchased this chair based on comments on the internet. Getting rid of it as soon as I receive my HM Aeron. I hate this chair ever since I discovered it was the source of my back aches. Prior to COVID, I wasn't sitting much on it so I didn't really realized it was the cause of my issues since I wasn't sitting as much on it. But since WFH, I found out that if I sit more than 20minutes on it my back locks up and I need to kinda self crack/twist my back or take a walk to feel better. I started seeing the chiro once a week as well....

simondaman bold quote is 100% right. Do not cheap out on chairs and try them out for more than 30s when buying them especially if you're working 8h on it. It's important to try them out because we have Steelcase Think chairs at the office and I HATE them as well... So it's not because the chair has a reputable brand name that it's necessarily good..