Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
IKEA

Ikea Vaughan - Symfonisk Bookshelf Speaker $99 (Open Box)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 29th, 2020 12:08 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 19, 2016
38 posts
77 upvotes
North York

[IKEA] Ikea Vaughan - Symfonisk Bookshelf Speaker $99 (Open Box)

As-Is section has four of these in white.
I bought the last black speaker (and a pack of cookies as a filler), used Christmas tree coupon - came to $75+. Yesss!
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
2443 posts
2978 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
As a dude who worked at Ikea until 2 months back, they get returned fairly often. You got it for a decent price bud.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
An added bonus with these Symfonisk Bookshelf speakers is that you can easily add a subwoofer inexpensively. See:

The regular Sonos speakers are too tightly sealed to mess with this type of mod.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
2290 posts
1949 upvotes
Bigboy16 wrote: As a dude who worked at Ikea until 2 months back, they get returned fairly often. You got it for a decent price bud.
What's the reason for them getting returned often?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
2443 posts
2978 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
ShinNoodles wrote: What's the reason for them getting returned often?
Most people thought you could control them via Bluetooth. Turns out you can't so they'd return them often since it's wifi speakers.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Banned
Feb 15, 2020
22 posts
37 upvotes
Bigboy16 wrote: Most people thought you could control them via Bluetooth. Turns out you can't so they'd return them often since it's wifi speakers.
have two play 1s and cant figure out much use for them because they literally have no bluetooth. lamest and skimpiest move ever

waiting for a sale on a beam to set them up as a trio with no bass
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13239 posts
12070 upvotes
Toronto
Bigboy16 wrote: Most people thought you could control them via Bluetooth. Turns out you can't so they'd return them often since it's wifi speakers.
Yup, would've been nice to have backup connectivity of some sort. Worst case Sonos goes under in the future and without their WiFi service turns into an expensive brick.
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
314 posts
354 upvotes
Nunavut
Choosy wrote: Don't need them to go under. Sonos will brick it when it they decide it has become too old for you to reuse.....

https://www.engadget.com/2019/12/31/son ... alls-flat/
This is why i don't encourage these hipster tech companies and stick to old school things that have always worked well, always with bs like this including tesla deactivating features that the second owner. These new companies push subscription services since thats the future way of making cash
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Angultra wrote: Yup, would've been nice to have backup connectivity of some sort. Worst case Sonos goes under in the future and without their WiFi service turns into an expensive brick.
Definitely a concern, not having either Bluetooth or analog input. Sonos is very inflexible in their use model - it's their way or... nothing. Their long-term survival in competition with Google and Amazon for WiFi speakers is in some doubt. Right now Sonos is suing Google for patent infringement, and they've said that the only reason they aren't suing Amazon too is that they only have the resources to take on one at a time.

Main reason to buy them is that they have pleasant balanced sound for the money, a welcome change from the boom boxes that pass for compact speakers these days. For some audio comparisons, get out a good set of headphones and try this site: http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net/

Sonos do provide lots of internet connectivity with streaming services and smart home control services, so that's good. And their voice-controlled speakers work with either Alexa or Google Assistant (your choice, but only one at a time due to imposed restrictions by Google and Amazon). Unfortunately the voice controls are glitchy and more limited than separate Echo Dot or GH Mini speakers, so you aren't missing out on anything by not having voice control integrated into the Ikea versions. Just buy a separate voice assistant speaker dirt cheap, and it can automatically cast the music output to the Sonos/Ikea speakers.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
EternalKobe wrote: have two play 1s and cant figure out much use for them because they literally have no bluetooth. lamest and skimpiest move ever

waiting for a sale on a beam to set them up as a trio with no bass
What you and all the Bluetooth people fail to understand is that Sonos aims to achieve the highest sound quality. Bluetooth is not as stable or as high quality as audio over wifi. That’s the reason why.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
najibs wrote: What you and all the Bluetooth people fail to understand is that Sonos aims to achieve the highest sound quality. Bluetooth is not as stable or as high quality as audio over wifi. That’s the reason why.
Which would be a good reason to advise you to prefer high-quality WiFi streaming where available (and hopefully you're not just streaming highly-compressed 128 kbps audio from online sources like a lot of people). But is it a good reason to entirely ignore the common standard of Bluetooth audio connection that's perfectly adequate for many purposes? Even when every single competitor, including Google and Amazon, support Bluetooth? Even when the speaker is actually equipped with Bluetooth internally, as is the case with some newer Sonos speakers?

And what's the reason for not having an analog audio input. Could it be perhaps that Sonos wants you to buy their ridiculously expensive connectivity systems?

I can't tell Sonos how to run their business. If they think they can earn more profit by playing in their own walled garden in some respects, more power to them. They convinced me to buy a couple of Sonos speakers, and on balance I like the sound enough to be satisfied with them. But they're playing a risky game in this increasingly-competitive space, and I think most people see their excuse about only allowing the highest-quality audio as a pretty thin reason for maintaining barriers.
Jan 5, 2017
82 posts
63 upvotes
najibs wrote: What you and all the Bluetooth people fail to understand is that Sonos aims to achieve the highest sound quality. Bluetooth is not as stable or as high quality as audio over wifi. That’s the reason why.
Which doesn’t explain why it’s not an OPTION. It’s like as if options make the high end features not attainable which is bullshit.

Plenty of quality and budget gear supports both. It’s obvious why Sonos does wifi only and it’s not just because of audio quality.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4258 posts
1028 upvotes
GTA
If you want bluetooth on Sonos buy the Move.
If you want analog in on Sonos buy a Play 5 Gen 2 or the Port, or the Amp, or the Connect (get a 'later' one that has the upgraded CPU/RAM so it's not classified as Legacy).
If you want bluetooth on Sonos with multi-room audio, get any of the above analog-in options and whatever Bluetooth receiver you want.
Sonos will only brick your speaker if you ask them to brick it.

Sonos does offers options, you all just want the options at the cheapest price.
Banned
Feb 15, 2020
22 posts
37 upvotes
What you and every other low sense apologist fanboy fail to realize:

Putting Bluetooth in would have been a low cost addition and “best quality sound” has no reason in that decision at all. Limiting your options to force you into an ecosystem and ensuring more purchasing of overpriced hardware has more do with it than some lolsy “best sound”.
Jul 30, 2018
204 posts
220 upvotes
My entire home is Sonos, bathrooms included, but even I don't delude myself into thinking that Sonos is the highest sound quality. Decent, sure, but not highest.

I even have the Sonos Move which runs over Bluetooth. It's fine.

There's a lot of stuff that Sonos does that just confuses the crap out of people... they need a new playbar and a fix for their legacy equipment issue.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4104 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
I suppose this isn't an issue if you're an Apple dude.

One thing that pisses me off about Apple is that I can't use my chrome cast audio, which essentially is wifi, not bluetooth.

Good thing I don't live close enough to Ikea to both...I do have the Enby though, and it's solid.
Why can't we all just get along?
Feb 8, 2007
576 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
If anyone is still looking for these, just FYI there are none at Ikea Etobicoke location, just checked it out this morning.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)