Hot Deals

[IKEA] Karlby Countertop & Alex drawers - North York Ikea

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 1:36 pm
Jan 10, 2019
2 posts
great deal. I am thinking of joining two 74" karlby desks together to make an L-desk. Ideally I want my monitors to be in that L corner; I figured i could join them with 3 brackets but I am not sure what to do about the legs in the corner; 1 leg wouldnt be able to hold the weight-anyone got any ideas?
Nov 1, 2003
834 posts
146 upvotes
Great job staging that desk! :)
Salesperson
Jul 24, 2014
141 posts
97 upvotes
Westmount, QC
steved54321 wrote: Why do I still see the full price on the IKEA website? Thanks oops found out why.

Most likely location specific.
Feb 24, 2012
92 posts
90 upvotes
Kamloops
Darklol wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:40 am
For those of you with the Karlby don't you find the depth too short ? Im debating between the Karlby and the Gerton.

Karlby is wider but not as depth only 25" vs the Gerton less wide but depth is 31" if I am not wrong.

I am just scared of being sitting to close to the monitor and I also like to have half of my arms on the desk. If you guys can give some feedback about this it would be nice.

Thanks
This is the exact reason I went with the Gerton back in the summer. It provides me enough room to have a small stool at the back to put my feet up on.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8386 posts
9196 upvotes
GT-EH
Darklol wrote:
For those of you with the Karlby don't you find the depth too short ? Im debating between the Karlby and the Gerton.

Karlby is wider but not as depth only 25" vs the Gerton less wide but depth is 31" if I am not wrong.

I am just scared of being sitting to close to the monitor and I also like to have half of my arms on the desk. If you guys can give some feedback about this it would be nice.

Thanks
It is a little short ... I went with the Linmon series (75cm deep).

But I think the Karlby series is solid wood.
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Sep 4, 2006
355 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
ProperMike wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:58 am
is the white Ikea alex also 69?
Called the Ikea and it's only the grey
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1552 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
blzn wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:28 am
Also made my computer desk with these items but I used one drawer plus two legs. Good deal!
which legs did you get?
Jun 28, 2018
9 posts
North York, ON
For those living in condo/apartment, how do you go about finishing the counter top? Wipe-on Polyurethane (or normal and spirit water 1:1 mix) seems to be suggested often but I cannot imagine how one would handle the fume and dust (lots of sanding needed).

On the subject of Karlby vs Gerton, I do like the dimension of Gerton better.
Jan 13, 2004
772 posts
33 upvotes
Markham
how often do these go on sale?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5873 posts
1407 upvotes
Markham
Darklol wrote:

Thanks
When I fist saw Karlby...I thought hmmmm is that a new spelling for that Korean rib dish. LOL

You could go with Acacia countertop (which I actually like better because it's darker and harder). 6' 2" x 3' 4" for $195 plus save 10% right now so it's $175+tx

https://www.lowes.ca/kitchen-countertop ... 61033.html
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 26, 2010
803 posts
490 upvotes
deskno8 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:56 pm
For those living in condo/apartment, how do you go about finishing the counter top? Wipe-on Polyurethane (or normal and spirit water 1:1 mix) seems to be suggested often but I cannot imagine how one would handle the fume and dust (lots of sanding needed).

On the subject of Karlby vs Gerton, I do like the dimension of Gerton better.

he did it in an apartment.. guess have a fan running? I'm doing mine in the basement. Will probably stain my Gerton tonight.
Jul 24, 2014
141 posts
97 upvotes
Westmount, QC
GiOBoY wrote: It is a little short ... I went with the Linmon series (75cm deep).

But I think the Karlby series is solid wood.

The Karlby is particle board I believe. The Hammarp is the solid wood countertop.
Sep 8, 2010
201 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa
Darklol wrote:

Thanks
I actually prefer it a little shorter there's no corner of my desk that I cannot reach easily.
I have my 2 monitors mounted on arms so that help with desk space and the monitors can stay closer to the wall.
I have enough space to put a foot rest underneath too.
Sep 8, 2010
201 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa
seeparks wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:06 pm
The Karlby is particle board I believe. The Hammarp is the solid wood countertop.
Yes particle wood, the wood veneer is pretty thin about 3mm. When you buy it, since it's a countertop, you get 2 veneer strip if you ever need to do cuts.