Hot Deals

[IKEA] Karlby Countertop & Alex drawers - North York Ikea

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 1:36 pm
Jul 24, 2014
141 posts
97 upvotes
Westmount, QC
ovni121 wrote: Yes particle wood, the wood veneer is pretty thin about 3mm. When you buy it, since it's a countertop, you get 2 veneer strip if you ever need to do cuts.

Would you recommend spending the extra cash for solid wood or is particle board a good alternative?

The Ikea Linnmon seems to be very weak and is actually hollow with honeycomb cardboard inside.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2683 posts
1355 upvotes
If you want to keep that top on securly while keeping it easy to take apart to move, use industrial velcro. Just don't use too much... or you'll need a prybar to seperate it.

Can find it at Michaels at a good price especially wifh a 40-55% coupon depending on the week.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
2600 posts
1157 upvotes
Montreal
seeparks wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:28 pm
Would you recommend spending the extra cash for solid wood or is particle board a good alternative?

The Ikea Linnmon seems to be very weak and is actually hollow with honeycomb cardboard inside.
Depends what kind of edits you are thinking of doing. If you're using it as is, particle board is fine.
Sep 8, 2010
201 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa
seeparks wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:28 pm

For the price, I would have no problem recommending the Karlby countertop. It is particle board but still strong and the finish is well made.
As someone else said, if you would get the longer version (249 cm) you should put a table leg under it or an other ALEX drawer unit in the middle.
It's a big improvement compared to the honeycomb cardboard.
If I needed an other desk this combo (KARLBY + ALEX) would be an instant buy
Jul 24, 2014
141 posts
97 upvotes
Westmount, QC
ovni121 wrote: For the price, I would have no problem recommending the Karlby countertop. It is particle board but still strong and the finish is well made.
As someone else said, if you would get the longer version (249 cm) you should put a table leg under it or an other ALEX drawer unit in the middle.
It's a big improvement compared to the honeycomb cardboard.
If I needed an other desk this combo (KARLBY + ALEX) would be an instant buy

I currently have two 47” Linnmon tabletops connected together with legs on the sides and an Alex in the middle.

I’m interested to swap out the tabletops with a 98” countertop.

Could I just screw the 4 existing $5 dollar Ikea legs into the sides of the 98” countertops like the Karlby and put the Alex in the center?

I want one long desk with two separate sitting areas.
Aug 19, 2012
116 posts
107 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Thanks all for the feedback on the depth of the Karlby. If you guys have pics please share your setups :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2328 posts
344 upvotes
GTA
sunstar1980 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:32 am
Would the counter top fit an SUV like the Honda pilot, behind the front row with 2nd and 3rd row seats down?
Not sure with the packaging....... so hope someone can confirm?
I bought my Countertop from kjiji, the 188cm fit in my Toyota corolla with 1-2 inches to spare.
FS: Old school Nintendo Consoles
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=675445
FS:Sharp GF-777Z Classic Boombox Retro Ghetto Blaster 80s - the Holy Grail!
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=631904
ACTION 52 Nintendo NES Multi Game (COLLECTORS ITEM)
action-52-nintendo-nes-multi-game-colle ... st13164059
Jun 28, 2018
9 posts
North York, ON
hjkimbrian wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 1:04 pm

he did it in an apartment.. guess have a fan running? I'm doing mine in the basement. Will probably stain my Gerton tonight.
Thanks for the video. Looks like a fun project although he (jokingly) commented on getting dizzy. Surprisingly not much dust from sanding as well. My room is way too small for this project with my bed and all in it already, but size of the desk seems very nice once completed.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
2617 posts
226 upvotes
jdu0ng wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:51 pm
which legs did you get?
Sorry don't recall but it was the basic legs for a custom desk at like $5 each. I had them from my previous desk and just screwed them in.

One other thing, one of the countertops have to be treated before use so I avoided that one. Just FYI.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1093 posts
105 upvotes
Struggling to decide between the Gerton and Karlby as well... Damn. Gerton's got the extra work with having to sand and stain it as well, but the depth....!!
Nov 22, 2009
562 posts
428 upvotes
Does anyone know if these single day specials are colour specific? I'm looking at the Hemnes shoe compartment but I would like it in dark brown.
Jan 22, 2009
279 posts
20 upvotes
could i arrange this in a L shape with 2 6-foot counterops
and 2 drawers. How would i install legs to connect
the two sides? Would the legs just screw in?

Thank you
Nov 15, 2016
217 posts
110 upvotes
How long are these in sale for? I'm heading to North York on Sunday