Shopping Discussion

Locked: Ikea Malm Dresser Recall - Refund or Exchange.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2022 6:23 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
2043 posts
793 upvotes
Ottawa

Ikea recalls millions of dressers

[IMG]http://i.cbc.ca/1.3655655.1467114220!/f ... a-malm.jpg[/IMG]

Customers are entitled to a full refund for chests and dressers manufactured between January 2002 and June 2016. Chests of drawers manufactured prior to 2002 will be eligible for a partial store credit. For any customer that still wants to keep their IKEA chests of drawers, but who did not keep their tip-over restraint, a free wall anchoring kit can be picked up at any IKEA location or one can be delivered to their home by contacting the Customer Support Centre at 1-800-661-9807 or by visiting ikea.ca/saferhomestogether.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_CA/customer_s ... rawer.html

Here is the full list of dressers: http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_CA/pdf/Recall ... _EN_v2.pdf

(Thanks to cag_73)
332 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2535 upvotes
Markham, ON
took 3 kids to die to make this recall.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Awesome news! :) We're just moving into a new place, and new furniture would be great!

C
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
CNeufeld wrote: Awesome news! :) We're just moving into a new place, and new furniture would be great!

C
Ok, not awesome that kids died... But they did provide the clips before, didn't they? And a warning in the instructions?

C
Nov 24, 2010
96 posts
12 upvotes
Has anyone inquired on the amount that you would get for the MALM chest/6 drw 80x123(all colours)?

Thanks!
Apr 13, 2010
659 posts
424 upvotes
Napanee, ON
thelefteyeguy wrote: took 3 kids to die to make this recall.
Source?

They have always included the gear to attach it to the wall. You can't blame Ikea for those deaths. Even if the new ones are more stable, I don't know how they could not tip over if 4 full drawers are pulled out and a kid starts climbing. It's still up to the installer (i.e. parents) to attach it to the wall.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
Sad, but this isnt an Ikea problem specifically - any large pantry, bookshelf, drawers etc can tip over. We did have our one drawer set attached to the wall as our oldest often seemed to want to climb things, but even now years later we have a huge pantry with craft stuff and the kids sometimes hang off the handles.. (And they know better!!)

Heck, our old giant tube tv back in the days was a bit floppy and that could have easily killed a toddler if it tipped over. Something to be said about common sense, but it seems everyone wants to blame someone else now a days.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11976 posts
3168 upvotes
Edmonton
cybersaga wrote: Source?

They have always included the gear to attach it to the wall. You can blame Ikea for those deaths. Even if the new ones are more stable, I don't know how they could not tip over if 4 full drawers are pulled out and a kid starts climbing. It's still up to the installer (i.e. parents) to attach it to the wall.

Exactly. Blame bad parenting for the deaths, not ikea and it's products.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12347 posts
5403 upvotes
cybersaga wrote: Source?

They have always included the gear to attach it to the wall. You can blame Ikea for those deaths. Even if the new ones are more stable, I don't know how they could not tip over if 4 full drawers are pulled out and a kid starts climbing. It's still up to the installer (i.e. parents) to attach it to the wall.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36648589
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
blainehamilton wrote: Exactly. Blame bad parenting for the deaths, not ikea and it's products.
It didn't meet industry standards. Would have loved to see RFDers defend the Suzuki Samarai back in the day and blame the driver.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3503 upvotes
Vancouver
I have at least one. And it has not held up well. I'll be glad to return it.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1598 posts
1609 upvotes
Orleans, ON
So we return it and can buy a new one basically?
Apr 13, 2010
659 posts
424 upvotes
Napanee, ON
Sorry, I meant to say "You can't blame Ikea for those deaths".

Yeah, it's sad. Ikea's finding out that people don't follow instructions. I think they're going above and beyond to make their dressers more stable and issue recalls.

But sometimes you just don't think about it. Our son pulled a dresser down on himself once. It could have been really bad, but he just ended up with a goose egg on his forehead. The next day everything was anchored to the wall. Of course we bought that dresser already-assembled and didn't have instructions to remind us to anchor it. It's definitely something I think about now.

It really is amazing how little it takes for them to tip over. I could pull one drawer out and push down on it with one finger and it would start to move.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2007
1306 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
Read terms:

Customers who, for any reason, cannot secure their IKEA chests of drawers to the wall are now advised to bring them back to any IKEA location for a refund. Customers are entitled to a full refund for chests and dressers manufactured between January 2002 and June 2016. Chests of drawers manufactured prior to 2002 will be eligible for a partial store credit.

Time to return ANY ikea chest drawers purchased in the past, you have second thoughts about securing it to the wall for full or partial refund. :cheesygri
Apr 13, 2010
659 posts
424 upvotes
Napanee, ON
Becks wrote: It didn't meet industry standards. Would have loved to see RFDers defend the Suzuki Samarai back in the day and blame the driver.
Ikea didn't meet the non-legally-binding standards of stability without anchoring, but they all still came with anchoring hardware and instructions telling you to anchor it. If the assembler followed all the instructions and achored them, they would not tip over.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
May 21, 2012
207 posts
41 upvotes
Calgary
I wonder how they know what you paid for it?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4593 posts
19413 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wonder how much they'll give back for a Malm 3 drawer
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
4169 posts
6806 upvotes
Langley, BC
cant imagine taking it apart and returning it..

plus, if you cannot secure it to a wall, then the user has other issues to deal with.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2007
1306 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
steven80 wrote: cant imagine taking it apart and returning it..

plus, if you cannot secure it to a wall, then the user has other issues to deal with.
Honestly what ikea funiture retains its value after say... 14 years?

Any broken or falling apart malms...? *hint*

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)