Shopping Discussion

Locked: Ikea Malm Dresser Recall - Refund or Exchange.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2022 6:23 pm
Tags:
May 13, 2010
776 posts
419 upvotes
Ottawa
We also have an "Aneboda" dresser which seems to be covered in the States but customer service at Ikea says they are not covered in Canada. Anyone tried to return this unit ?
Aug 30, 2017
93 posts
17 upvotes
Can I still bring my malm dresser for the recall? Thanks
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
slzz888 wrote: Can I still bring my malm dresser for the recall? Thanks
What was IKEA's response when you called them? ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
True story...this was partially my fault as a first-time Dad.

We had this Malm dresser in his room (again, my fault for not knowing any better). When my oldest was 9 months, I put him down for his afternoon nap in his crib (his room's on the 3rd floor). Went to the 2nd floor to do stuff and after 30 minutes or so, I heard a "thump". I asked my wife whether she heard that and she said she didn't hear anything. I carried on but something didn't feel right.

To be sure, I wanted to check on my son. I slowly opened his door and saw the dresser had tipped over and clothes all over. I also noticed my son wasn't in his dresser. I instantly lifted the dresser and saw my son was at the bottom of the pile of clothes.

Immediately looking for signs of trauma - there was none. I took him to the emergency room right away. Did all xrays / scans at the hospital - he was perfectly fine and we left.

Now playing back the events in my head - how the heck does an 9-month baby climb out of his crib (landed on the carpet in his room without being hurt) and climbed the dresser.

After a few years, he told us that he pulled out the bottom of each drawer (to act as stairs) so he can grab something "shiny" at the top of the dresser. - again, he was only 9 months at the time. WTF.

To this date, I credit my mother for protecting my baby (my mom passed away years ago before she could see her grandson).

So now, all my shelves/dressers are safely secured.
Dec 14, 2017
589 posts
627 upvotes
Dragon120 wrote: True story...this was partially my fault as a first-time Dad.

We had this Malm dresser in his room (again, my fault for not knowing any better). When my oldest was 9 months, I put him down for his afternoon nap in his crib (his room's on the 3rd floor). Went to the 2nd floor to do stuff and after 30 minutes or so, I heard a "thump". I asked my wife whether she heard that and she said she didn't hear anything. I carried on but something didn't feel right.

To be sure, I wanted to check on my son. I slowly opened his door and saw the dresser had tipped over and clothes all over. I also noticed my son wasn't in his dresser. I instantly lifted the dresser and saw my son was at the bottom of the pile of clothes.

Immediately looking for signs of trauma - there was none. I took him to the emergency room right away. Did all xrays / scans at the hospital - he was perfectly fine and we left.

Now playing back the events in my head - how the heck does an 9-month baby climb out of his crib (landed on the carpet in his room without being hurt) and climbed the dresser.

After a few years, he told us that he pulled out the bottom of each drawer (to act as stairs) so he can grab something "shiny" at the top of the dresser. - again, he was only 9 months at the time. WTF.

To this date, I credit my mother for protecting my baby (my mom passed away years ago before she could see her grandson).

Uhhh, no dude. A 9 month old does not "recall" an incident like this, "a few years" later.

I have literally no clue why you would make such a claim. Toddlers will not recall their infant memories.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11770 upvotes
GTA
7865875 wrote: Uhhh, no dude. A 9 month old does not "recall" an incident like this, "a few years" later.

I have literally no clue why you would make such a claim. Toddlers will not recall their infant memories.
Plus a 9 month old can't open dresser drawers.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Dragon120 wrote:
Yeah...ain't gonna happen. A 9 month old would not be able to make this recollection of specifically what they did later. He probably saw it on TV or something, or even did it more recently as the pulling out drawers to act as a ladder or stairs is how it's done. I have vague memories of some things I did as a toddler, or I have an image in my mind of some events, but we can't remember squat from our times as a baby.
If this was the case, I'd have preferred that she kept the kid in the bed, or not let the dresser tip over at all. Maybe she was distracted by the latest episode of Golden Girls.
This is always good, especially if you live in an earthquake zone. Make sure your TV's secure too, 'cos falling TVs cause a lot of injuries and even deaths.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
7865875 wrote: Uhhh, no dude. A 9 month old does not "recall" an incident like this, "a few years" later.

LOL - not here to convince you but believe what you want, don't give a *&^% what you think. Just wanted to share a real story of what happened.
Dec 14, 2017
589 posts
627 upvotes
Dragon120 wrote: LOL - not here to convince you but believe what you want, don't give a *&^% what you think. Just wanted to share a real story of what happened.
Well that's just the thing, you are here to try and make a claim (you literally start your post with "True story...") and I am here to tell you that the story your two-year-old told you about an experience they had with bedroom furniture when they were 9 months old is a complete fabrication and just a child talking nonsense. That's what toddlers do.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
7865875 wrote: just a child talking nonsense. That's what toddlers do.
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 14, 2017
589 posts
627 upvotes
bylo wrote: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...
Do you have kids? My 2-year old told me yesterday that the flies in our house are eating her nails. I'm not saying the guy's kid is dumb, I'm saying all kids are.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
7865875 wrote: Do you have kids? My 2-year old told me yesterday that the flies in our house are eating her nails. I'm not saying the guy's kid is dumb, I'm saying all kids are.
You may have misunderstood: the apple doesn't fall far from the tree
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)