Home & Garden

Ikea - paying for setting up a bed and a wardrobe? Any experiences?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2019 8:23 am
[OP]
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Ikea - paying for setting up a bed and a wardrobe? Any experiences?

Hi guys,

Considering buying a kids bed and a 4 door wardrobe for our main room from IKEA.

The kids bed isn't hard to set up, I've always done and setup alot of Ikea stuff (bed frames, tables, stools, drawers) but we are thinking of getting a 4 door wardrobe which seems like a bigger task in terms of setting it up and putting it up against the wall.

Do you guys think it is worth paying for the service? Wife says yes because it's a bigger piece to make and the time/cost isn't worth

Anyone has had experiences like this? And for the wardrobe, do they hook it up against the wall for you? OR they just build it only (that would suck).

Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33511 posts
7141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Anchoring it against the wall is the easiest part.

Assembling it, is the most time consuming. I would just do it myself. I can't imagine you being that busy that you can't afford an hour to assemble it
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7239 posts
4473 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I have paid them to put together beds, etc. I was already moving, and really didn't need the hassle of putting my beds and things together too. It was worth it. If I've just bought one item and am not otherwise pressed for time, then sure I'll build it myself.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12070 posts
8360 upvotes
Edmonton
futabasan wrote: Hi guys,

Considering buying a kids bed and a 4 door wardrobe for our main room from IKEA.

The kids bed isn't hard to set up, I've always done and setup alot of Ikea stuff (bed frames, tables, stools, drawers) but we are thinking of getting a 4 door wardrobe which seems like a bigger task in terms of setting it up and putting it up against the wall.

Do you guys think it is worth paying for the service? Wife says yes because it's a bigger piece to make and the time/cost isn't worth

Anyone has had experiences like this? And for the wardrobe, do they hook it up against the wall for you? OR they just build it only (that would suck).

Thanks!
From a liability perspective, they would be foolish to leave without it being anchored to the wall.

Having said that, it's not really any more difficult than putting together a dresser, as far as I remember. We've done a crap load of Ikea furniture over the years (never considered paying anyone to do it, and that includes a kitchen), and pretty much all done the same way. The only gotcha I recall from the wardrobe is making sure you have enough room to stand it up after the carcass is put together. If you're tight on ceiling height, it can be tough.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4914 posts
3968 upvotes
I've used their services before for assembly and was very satisfied. Prices have gone up from when I used them last, I believe it's 20% or min of $80 now?

Not worth it for one item, but with how low Ikea prices are and how moutning some stuff requires 2 people, it's well worth it to me
Feb 20, 2012
71 posts
24 upvotes
I have just been through a very rough three weeks due to an ikea subcontractor. If I were you I’d stay away from ikeas third party services cause they’re hard to deal with if anything happens. I’d hire your
Own person
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1247 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto, ON
futabasan wrote: Hi guys,

Thanks!
Assuming this is not an April Fool's Day posting .. , I don't think it is worth paying for a service. Easy enough to follow the pictures-only directions.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1593 posts
356 upvotes
I would just put the wardrobe together myself. You can do it alone assuming you don't have to assemble it upright (you have enough ceiling clearance to do it on the floor, then tip it up).
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3212 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
Nobody here knows what IKEA will or will not do regarding the wall-anchor. Frankly, that probably comes down to the individual installer. The only way you'll find out is to ask IKEA.

And nobody here knows if it's worth the expense or not - that's 100% up to you.