• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 12:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16942 posts
6112 upvotes

[IKEA] Single Burner Induction Hotplate - $49.00

I have one of these bought on a previous sale at this price (this sale comes along a couple times a year). It goes up to 1800W, it can boil water faster than gas or conventional electric. I use it more than my gas stove.

Like all induction it requires induction compatible cookware (if a magnet will stick to it your flying).

It goes from 60W to 1800W, in increments, 60W, 200W, 400W, 800W, 1000W, 1200W, 1400W, 1600W, 1800W.
Simmering water uses 800W unless your using very large cookware which may need a slightly higher wattage.
Under 800W it on/off cycles, 3/4 duty cycle at 600W, 50% duty cycle at 400W and so forth.

Enjoy
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
135 replies
Feb 27, 2004
202 posts
127 upvotes
Cost more to use than a gas stove. Also it’s only good for boiling, for fine heat control these small induction burners aren’t that good (at least on the ones I’ve bought from Costco)
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18989 posts
1995 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I bought this 2 months ago. Does Ikea offer price protection over that duration?
May 4, 2006
296 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, I got a Salton brand portable induction cook-top for hot pot use for $70+! (back in 2014) Wish this deal was an option a few years back!! My Salton also goes up to 1800 watts and it serves my family well during the winter months and those hot pot cravings.
[Ebay] 626-0-0
[Heatware] 1-0-0
Oct 8, 2008
87 posts
22 upvotes
Ontario
Could one seer a steak using this? Max pan size?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1151 posts
1257 upvotes
GTA
I always thought this would be great to use outdoors beside the grill.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16942 posts
6112 upvotes
Gtabuddy wrote: Cost more to use than a gas stove. Also it’s only good for boiling, for fine heat control these small induction burners aren’t that good (at least on the ones I’ve bought from Costco)
It has 10 levels to choose from. While more would be a bonus it has worked well so far.
I've done far more than boiling with mine.
I do not have costs for a natural gas unit but being a numbers person i can make most meals using 1-10 cents of electricity using this induction burner. Many under 5 cents.

HKPolice wrote: What's the regular price?
$69.00
esaul17 wrote: Could one seer a steak using this? Max pan size?
Absolutely.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16942 posts
6112 upvotes
karlb wrote: I always thought this would be great to use outdoors beside the grill.
That is an interesting idea, its very portable, easy to clean and has very precise heat control
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14848 posts
1161 upvotes
Markham
Quentin5 wrote:
Under 800W it on/off cycles, 3/4 duty cycle at 600W, 50% duty cycle at 400W and so forth.

Enjoy
Is there one that can handle low loads without cycling?

I don't think I need 800w to maintain a simmer for hotpot
ShadowVlican
Dec 29, 2008
276 posts
268 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought this regular price and it has since replaced my main glass-top electric range (I actually put it ontop of my range and use it whenever I can). The reason for the migration is simply because of how fast and controllable the cooking process is. You could get from full boil to a slow simmer in seconds where as you can't with a conventional cooktop. If you look online, people have broken down the efficiency of all the cooktops and induction sits at the top (meaning it costs less for electricity to produce the same amount of heat compared to the other electric cooktops); It even boils water faster than a gas range believe it or not. That being said, in my future home, or if I ever have to replace my current range, I'll definitely be opting in for a induction cooktop/range.

Before I forget, because it is only the cookware that gets heated up on an induction cooktop, nothing ever gets burned onto the cooktop if food spills out or splatters. a simple wipe with a wet towel makes it look as good as the day I bought it. Same thing can't be said for other types of cooktop.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
18475 posts
5315 upvotes
I have the Kuraidori one from Home Hardware. It has completely replaced my old electric stove as far as cooking that way (I still use the oven). Wish inductions came in an apartment size stove though. I could never find one. But they seem common in Europe and Asia...
Apr 15, 2014
276 posts
77 upvotes
Montreal
Supercooled wrote: I bought this 2 months ago. Does Ikea offer price protection over that duration?
IKEA offers 30 days for price protection.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10854 posts
5955 upvotes
Markham
Besides speed, another great feature is there is no heat that comes off the unit. If you've left a ladle or spatula in a pan, the handle will get blistering hot. With induction there is no heat from the "burner" as the heat is transferred thru the magnet to the pot. Keeps the kitchen a lot cooler. Also safer for kids/elderly ppl as there is no fire (gas) and things like oven mitts/kitchen towels cannot catch fire.

What get's hot is the pot itself which transfer heat to the food.

One of the things I didn't like about my induction burner (Salton) is it can turn off when it overheats [happens when I used my 12" cast iron - want to shallow fry some fried chicken IIRC]. Not sure if that is the case with this unit but it'd be interesting to know. Reading some of the reviews ppl say the "cook element/burner" is small - it'd be good to know if I put a 12" pan on here, does the entire bottom get heated. If someone who has this unit and can comment, much appreciated.
Last edited by gr8dlr on Aug 20th, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!