Expired Hot Deals

[IKEA] Single Burner Induction Hotplate - $49.00

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 8:45 pm
Jul 30, 2018
78 posts
8 upvotes
kokono wrote: IKEA offers 30 days for price protection.
But dont they offer 365 days to return? Couldnt you just return it and purchase again?
Nov 20, 2008
728 posts
285 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Besides speed, another great feature is there is no heat that comes off the unit. If you've left a ladle or spatula in a pan, the handle will get blistering hot. With induction there is no heat from the "burner" as the heat is transferred thru the magnet to the pot. Keeps the kitchen a lot cooler. Also safer for kids/elderly ppl as there is no fire (gas) and things like oven mitts/kitchen towels cannot catch fire.

What get's hot is the pot itself which transfer heat to the food.

One of the things I didn't like about my induction burner (Salton) is it can turn off when it overheats [happens when I used my 12" cast iron - want to shallow fry some fried chicken IIRC]. Not sure if that is the case with this unit but it'd be interesting to know. Reading some of the reviews ppl say the "cook element/burner" is small - it'd be good to know if I put a 12" pan on here, does the entire bottom get heated. If someone who has this unit and can comment, much appreciated.
Lol what? The ladle/spatula still gets hot via conduction.....
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11220 posts
6207 upvotes
Markham
cyberspyder wrote: Lol what? The ladle/spatula still gets hot via conduction.....
With induction burner, you can leave the handle there and it won't be any hotter than the food/water in the pot.

With gas, the handle gets hot immediately because hanging over the edge of the pot and it's getting heat form the side shooting heat of the burner (electric/gas) -> even when the temp of the food could be cold/cool/warm.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Aug 11, 2011
28 posts
79 upvotes
Neverland
Does it makes a lot of noise. I would like to use it for fondu nights.

Thanks,
Last edited by OptimusPrime1 on Aug 20th, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 6, 2009
99 posts
25 upvotes
Edmonton
Make sure you don't use carbon steel cookware since it can warp on anything above medium heat...
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2756 posts
424 upvotes
North York
What material cookware can u use on this? Glass, stainless steel, cast iron?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1201 posts
837 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I have a Duxtop from Amazon and it's great but there's a few considerations.

When I prefer to pan fry steaks for a good crust, I just use it outside with my cast iron pan. I just leave it at maybe a 7/10 for 10 minutes and it gets redicilously hot. If I go any hotter, the steaks would burn...

For indoors hotpot, two things that I learned after buying an induction cook top. You need to consider the height of the unit, and the fan noise! The Duxtop is quality but it's slightly tall and the fan noise is borderline obnoxious as it seems to always be on (which in a way is good because it'll never overheat). These two are big for hot pot for obvious reasons...
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1201 posts
837 upvotes
VANCOUVER
spdfrk wrote: Make sure you don't use carbon steel cookware since it can warp on anything above medium heat...
Eh?

I use my de buyer on induction on high heat occasionally. And I've seasoned all my de buyer pans in a high heat oven AND in my Akorn Kamado at 5-600F with no ill results.

Still flat as can be.
Oct 23, 2005
597 posts
193 upvotes
dpw198 wrote: Haha This guy is funny, but he's obviously never worked in a Chinese restaurant before.

My friend who owned a Chinese restaurant said the reason they rinse freshly made rice is that the rice sticks and is clumpy if you're going to use it to make fried rice. But if you're just going to serve white rice, then no need to rinse.
Dec 24, 2010
461 posts
207 upvotes
I had a 1800W induction burner for hot pot but even at its highest setting it wasn't enough to keep a rolling boil, so I had to pre-boil the food or switch back to gas. For people that have used this one, did you experience the same issues?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11220 posts
6207 upvotes
Markham
azndnangel wrote: I had a 1800W induction burner for hot pot but even at its highest setting it wasn't enough to keep a rolling boil, so I had to pre-boil the food or switch back to gas. For people that have used this one, did you experience the same issues?
You got two possible problems likely.

1) the induction is broken and 1800W is maybe 180w LOL
2) maybe very little magnetic material in your pot so you're not getting good "induction".
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 14, 2011
434 posts
362 upvotes
Having picked up my brother recently from the hospital for first degree burns from a cheap Chinese hot pot stove or butane canister blowing up on him during his camp trip, I’ll definitely be picking up a couple for the family. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1201 posts
837 upvotes
VANCOUVER
gr8dlr wrote: You got two possible problems likely.

1) the induction is broken and 1800W is maybe 180w LOL
2) maybe very little magnetic material in your pot so you're not getting good "induction".
No kidding.

My 1800W one keeps a rolling boil at 5/10 after a few minutes of heating. If yours is on full blast and can't keep a rolling boil, then it is probably defective, and I wouldn't use it anymore.

The pot is easy to test. If it is conductive, it should boil 2 cups of water in no time flat.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)