Expired Hot Deals

IKEA

SYMFONISK Table lamp with WiFi speaker $119 reg price $229

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2021 9:14 am
Nov 5, 2019
103 posts
112 upvotes
DjSingh wrote: Thanks bud, that helps a lot… and sorry guys if im taking this thread off topic but i have two more questions
First is sonos vs reciever/ bookshelf speaker …..lots of people are talking about using sonos speakers as 7.1and 9.1 setups… looking at the prices of the sonos….. sonos wont be cheap setting 7.1 up…. But is it way better in terms of sound when setting up a nice prof. Receiver(denon/onkyo) ofcourse marrantz will alone cost a lot & bookshelf or tower speakers (polk audio/ klipsh)
Second question is like @Lebon1 said above…
Sonos creating the own mesh…. Right now i have dumb-speakers in everyrooom connected via 2nd gen airport express on wofi so i can play music via airplay2 . But sometimes the music skips… and some days its perfect … is there a way airport express does something like that so i can hookup one airport express to my router (wired) and they use their own mesh and also i’ll be able to play music from my phone.
What Sonos does well is multi room audio and convenience. The price you pay is to do that, rather than speaker quality. Sonos does a more high end speaker (the Five) but you can definitely get better sound for the same money with a regular speaker.

Sonos will not do a 7.1 or 9.1 setup. At best, it can do an Atmos/5.1.2 system with a Sonos soundbar (some people find this acceptable, others less so - I’m not getting into that minefield lol).

I don’t believe the Airports have any mesh capabilities, such a shame Apple left this space.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33989 posts
7630 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Lebon1 wrote: What Sonos does well is multi room audio and convenience. The price you pay is to do that, rather than speaker quality.
Couldn’t you accomplish this with Google Mini speakers? It won’t sound as good, but the speakers are only 40$ on sale
Nov 5, 2019
103 posts
112 upvotes
Gee wrote: Couldn’t you accomplish this with Google Mini speakers? It won’t sound as good, but the speakers are only 40$ on sale
I think the issue with the Google option, or I would guess Alexa, also is the sound quality and reliability. Sonos is not the best sounding speaker by any means but it is generally seen as the best sounding smart speaker (at the price point). They also offer the flexibility to run either home assistant or neither, and a “home theatre” option.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3405 posts
4313 upvotes
Oakville
Lebon1 wrote: I think the issue with the Google option, or I would guess Alexa, also is the sound quality and reliability. Sonos is not the best sounding speaker by any means but it is generally seen as the best sounding smart speaker (at the price point). They also offer the flexibility to run either home assistant or neither, and a “home theatre” option.
You hook up Alexa or Google mini to audiophile speakers and make them smart and then make groups to do multiroom audio.

Then you have better sounding speakers than Sonos for the same price.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14849 posts
9169 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Gee wrote: Couldn’t you accomplish this with Google Mini speakers? It won’t sound as good, but the speakers are only 40$ on sale
Google Mini’s or Echo Dots be tinny. The ikea Symfonisk are a small step below Sonos Ones which are deemed to sound better than Echo Plus and Echo Studio.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14849 posts
9169 upvotes
Southern Ontario
zdpz wrote: You hook up Alexa or Google mini to audiophile speakers and make them smart and then make groups to do multiroom audio.

Then you have better sounding speakers than Sonos for the same price.
That's a rather complicated way to get multi-room audio. It requires a pre-existing system in every room and adding a smart device to each one, then grouping, and does not have the convenience/simplicity of adjusting volume of each speaker on a single page:

However, I am doing what you suggest in our upstairs bedroom, an Echo Dot connected to a system+sub, it's just limited by Amazon's free library because we don't subscribe to any music service. Downstairs throughout our main floor via Sonos speakers, we are using a version of Spotify Premium, search/play anything, unlimited skips (it does not connect to Alexa Spotify Skill).

I agree Sonos will not do proper 7.1, true audiophile separation where particular sounds come from certain speakers. Sonos/Symfonisk is more for instant plug and play soundstage throughout a home.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3405 posts
4313 upvotes
Oakville
AncasterRFD wrote: That's a rather complicated way to get multi-room audio. It requires a pre-existing system in every room and adding a smart device to each one, then grouping, and does not have the convenience/simplicity of adjusting volume of each speaker on a single page:

However, I am doing what you suggest in our upstairs bedroom, an Echo Dot connected to a system+sub, it's just limited by Amazon's free library because we don't subscribe to any music service. Downstairs throughout our main floor via Sonos speakers, we are using a version of Spotify Premium, search/play anything, unlimited skips (it does not connect to Alexa Spotify Skill).

I agree Sonos will not do proper 7.1, true audiophile separation where particular sounds come from certain speakers. Sonos/Symfonisk is more for instant plug and play soundstage throughout a home.
Actually not complicated at all.

If you use powered Bluetooth speakers from the plethora available you plug them in, connect the Alex to the AuX. Go to Alexa app and do a one time group setup or Mukti group set up. You can even make scenes where certain groups activate with certain lights and temperature

As for changing volume way easier than Sonos. You tell Alex to turn down the volume or go to a specific level with your voice. Anyone even my guests can change it and don't need access to any app.

We use Pandora, Amazon music, and Spotify for streaming with Alexa. It's fantastic.

If you want to play something through your local music library you have to create a custom station which is a long setup and a bit complex so in this regard Sonos wins by a landslide. I have Sonos play 5s but am not impressed by the sound for what I paid.

My setup is kilpshc reference premiere in great room, paradigms in upstairs entertain ment room, and KEF Hi Q, KEF LS50 wireless in walls through our the house with Alexa dots.

Also, in 2021 I would be looking to buy SVS Primes instead of Sonos. Far better sound, better $/performance ratio. SVS is the name of the game.
SVS prime can do streaming, multi room, are wireless, and far superior sound.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Jun 18, 2009
104 posts
58 upvotes
Edmonton
Sonos noob here. Would it be possible to have two of these in the same room and listen to them in stereo?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14849 posts
9169 upvotes
Southern Ontario
zdpz wrote: ...As for changing volume way easier than Sonos. You tell Alex to turn down the volume or go to a specific level with your voice. Anyone even my guests can change it and don't need access to any app.
We have a bunch of Alexa Echo’s in the house and I find it convoluted calling out volumes, whether saying UP/DOWN or on a scale, and more so if for separate units at once. I don’t really need guests controlling volumes or our kids taking over speakers possibly calling out different music if they fight lol. I prefer all sliders in one place for immediate feedback in terms of overall soundstage, I believe most people new to this would. But if you’re used to your method and like it, nothing wrong with that preference. Some people with existing systems may also enjoy your route.
Nov 5, 2019
103 posts
112 upvotes
Munked wrote: Sonos noob here. Would it be possible to have two of these in the same room and listen to them in stereo?
Yes. You can even pair non-matching speakers if you download SonoSequencr from the App Store. I have my lamp paired with a One SL.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3011 posts
1758 upvotes
Mississauga
AncasterRFD wrote: We have a bunch of Alexa Echo’s in the house and I find it convoluted calling out volumes, whether saying UP/DOWN or on a scale, and more so if for separate units at once. I don’t really need guests controlling volumes or our kids taking over speakers possibly calling out different music if they fight lol. I prefer all sliders in one place for immediate feedback in terms of overall soundstage, I believe most people new to this would. But if you’re used to your method and like it, nothing wrong with that preference. Some people with existing systems may also enjoy your route.
I am sure you have already configured your setup, but in case it can help anyone.

> Create a multi room group speaker group in Alexe app
> Add all your echo devices to it.
> From any place in your house, say "Alexa, set the volume to 5 (0-10 scale). It will change volume to 5 on all speakers.
> Want to change volume on just one device? Just say "Alexa, set volume to 3 on Kitchen echo.

Done, it is really a one time setup. If you want to use slider, then when something is playing through the speakers, you can slide volume controls from the Alexa app.

If you have Plex setup, you can also stream your local collection through Echo speakers. Sonos also supports this. I have playlists setup on my Plex server, and Echo speakers happily play them.
Jun 4, 2012
793 posts
333 upvotes
Calgary
Grabbed two of these today and will pair them with a beam i have for our bedroom setup. They honestly sound quite good and for the money I'm happy with the purchase.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3405 posts
4313 upvotes
Oakville
AncasterRFD wrote: We have a bunch of Alexa Echo’s in the house and I find it convoluted calling out volumes, whether saying UP/DOWN or on a scale, and more so if for separate units at once. I don’t really need guests controlling volumes or our kids taking over speakers possibly calling out different music if they fight lol. I prefer all sliders in one place for immediate feedback in terms of overall soundstage, I believe most people new to this would. But if you’re used to your method and like it, nothing wrong with that preference. Some people with existing systems may also enjoy your route.
+1

I always enjoy your balanced thoughtful comments @AncasterRFD

Yes when music is loud and two Alexas side by side, it can be a challenge to change volume or get the appropriate one to take the command.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Mar 3, 2014
51 posts
33 upvotes
I love the two lamps I got but feel like a right fool because I bought the smart bulbs it says you "must pair" with it and didn't pick up a remote /gateway because I didn't need them to be smart, only to plug them in and find the two bulbs set to different warmth settings out of the box, with no way of changing the setting. If they were in different rooms it wouldn't be an issue but they're bedside lights and one is super bright and the other a mellow yellow.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2302 posts
1109 upvotes
Waterloo
gjeyre wrote: I love the two lamps I got but feel like a right fool because I bought the smart bulbs it says you "must pair" with it and didn't pick up a remote /gateway because I didn't need them to be smart, only to plug them in and find the two bulbs set to different warmth settings out of the box, with no way of changing the setting. If they were in different rooms it wouldn't be an issue but they're bedside lights and one is super bright and the other a mellow yellow.
You fell for the trap. Just buy any E12 bulb and return the smart bulbs to Ikea if you don't need the functionality. Ikea even has 2 packs of E12 non-smart bulbs for $2.99: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/ryet-led-b ... -50438744/
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Mar 3, 2014
51 posts
33 upvotes
I even asked the support guy and he told me all his documentation said this type. Thanks
Feb 11, 2008
346 posts
122 upvotes
Montreal
I've been eyeing these speakers for a while, to add to my two Play 1 Sonos set up. Picked one up earlier today at Ikea Montreal, on Cavendish. Really impressed with the sound quality. It definitely rivals the Play 1's that I have. I went back and picked up a couple more for my son and sister in law. Had about 10 left (mostly black) around noon.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20684 posts
8178 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: Ha thanks, it’s an easily acquired Sonos addiction when there’s no in wall wiring. We have a bathroom by there too.
You just have the whole house listening to your 80's megamix or what goes on?
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14849 posts
9169 upvotes
Southern Ontario
DaVibe wrote: You just have the whole house listening to your 80's megamix or what goes on?
No, we're more electronic/eclectic. Last played:

Kids: Derivakat, Songs of the SMP
Wife: Tomorrowland 2021
Me: last 3 tracks