Cell Phones

I'll be porting my freedom mobile number to Koodo in September

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2017 9:08 am
[OP]
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes

I'll be porting my freedom mobile number to Koodo in September

I will be porting my number from freedom to koodo on their $85 5GB plan in September.
One reason I'm switching is
because I don't want to have to meet a 50% usage requirement on freedom
mobiles network then restrict my usage while roaming. Another huge reason
Is because I don't get service in a lot of places within Edmonton and the 6
surrounding cities and I know I would have service in all these places on koodo because they run off telus towers.
The last reason I'm switching is because I realized I don't need unlimited data
especially when its throttled to the point it is, that just makes it
frustrating and not worth it. I will see what koodo offers for black Friday deals and switch my plan to one of those plans if the price is good.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6805 posts
6959 upvotes
BrandonA586 wrote: I will be porting my number from freedom to koodo on their $85 5GB plan in September.
One reason I'm switching is
because I don't want to have to meet a 50% usage requirement on freedom
mobiles network then restrict my usage while roaming. Another huge reason
Is because I don't get service in a lot of places within Edmonton and the 6
surrounding cities and I know I would have service in all these places on koodo because they run off telus towers.
The last reason I'm switching is because I realized I don't need unlimited data
especially when its throttled to the point it is, that just makes it
frustrating and not worth it. I will see what koodo offers for black Friday deals and switch my plan to one of those plans if the price is good.
Too bad you missed the Public Mobile offers.... why didn't you port to Public during the last Freedom-only promo?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1861 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
superfresh89 wrote: Too bad you missed the Public Mobile offers.... why didn't you port to Public during the last Freedom-only promo?
He was blindfolded by freedommobile on that time.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
[OP]
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Too bad you missed the Public Mobile offers.... why didn't you port to Public during the last Freedom-only promo?
Because I want to be with a carrier that has customer service. Public mobile doesn't have any customer service or If they do I've heard it isn't any good
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6805 posts
6959 upvotes
BrandonA586 wrote: Because I want to be with a carrier that has customer service. Public mobile doesn't have any customer service or If they do I've heard it isn't any good
You'd be wrong...

The customer service is only available online via the moderators... however, they've been great and I can honestly say they've provided much better service than Rogers, Bell, Fido or even Telus themselves.

Unless you're talking about the last week of each promo period where some people had to wait a couple days before their issue was resolved, every other time I've started a ticket, a mod has been able to fix me up within an hour or so.

It's literally the best plan, price and customer service I've ever had for my cell phone.
Last edited by KanataKG on Aug 9th, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
19298 posts
6581 upvotes
Toronto
Just switched my brother to public mobile. The previous account holder and I didn't everything online. It was an incredibly smooth transaction with no csr involvement required at any time.
[OP]
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
Changed my mind
Virgin Mobile offers 10GB of data for $105 and they use the Bell Network, while Koodo offers 10GB of shock free data for $130. I'm seriously thinking Virgin Mobile is who I should switch to because I can get the amount of data I want for $25 cheaper and even though my data won't be paused on virgin mobile I'm quite capable of watching my usage so I'll be careful. I'm now leaning towards switching to virgin mobile instead of Koodo.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
[OP]
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
Gee wrote: You're going to abandon your 7 friends on Freedom?
Yes I am because Its getting harder to meet the 50% usage requirement that needs to be on freedom mobiles network before I leave their coverage areas plus I don't wanna have to restrict my roaming usage. The second reason I'm switching is because I'm tired of not getting service inside a lot of buildings within Edmonton Alberta and the 6 surrounding cities that have home coverage.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36329 posts
9593 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
BrandonA586 wrote: Yes I am because Its getting harder to meet the 50% usage requirement that needs to be on freedom mobiles network before I leave their coverage areas plus I don't wanna have to restrict my roaming usage. The second reason I'm switching is because I'm tired of not getting service inside a lot of buildings within Edmonton Alberta and the 6 surrounding cities that have home coverage.
I'm confused, what is this 50% usage requirement? I thought it was unlimited

Your second complaint is the reason why everyone is complaining about Freedom in the other thread, but for some odd reason, you defended them. You're like Two Face
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Come on. People switch carriers for all kind of reasons. Changing coffee shop from Starbuck to Timmy to Second Cup to Countryside......Big deal
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36329 posts
9593 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
danieltoronto wrote: Come on. People switch carriers for all kind of reasons. Changing coffee shop from Starbuck to Timmy to Second Cup to Countryside......Big deal
I don't drink coffee, but I've been with a Rogers since it was called Cantel. No switching. Spinning a few times, but he last time I did that was 20 years ago
[OP]
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
Gee wrote: I'm confused, what is this 50% usage requirement? I thought it was unlimited

Your second complaint is the reason why everyone is complaining about Freedom in the other thread, but for some odd reason, you defended them. You're like Two Face
Read the terms of the everywhere plans and you'll find out that 50% of your usgae needs to be on freedom mobiles network and that if you roam too much your plan will be changed to one with pay per use roaming and if you live in Edmonton Alberta or the 6 surrounding cities and go out of these areas every summer a few times then you'll understand why I'm sick of needing to meet this requirement because its getting harder to do. As far as what I've said in the past about freedom I've realized that the building Penetration issue is never gonna change because of the frequency they use and adding towers to the affected areas in Edmonton is impossible.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36329 posts
9593 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
BrandonA586 wrote: Read the terms of the everywhere plans and you'll find out that 50% of your usgae needs to be on freedom mobiles network and that if you roam too much your plan will be changed to one with pay per use roaming and if you live in Edmonton Alberta or the 6 surrounding cities and go out of these areas every summer a few times then you'll understand why I'm sick of needing to meet this requirement because its getting harder to do. As far as what I've said in the past about freedom I've realized that the building Penetration issue is never gonna change because of the frequency they use and adding towers to the affected areas in Edmonton is impossible.
Are you eating crow?
[OP]
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
I'm actually going to wait until October 13th at the latest to switch over to either Virgin Mobile or Koodo. I have two months of service paid for in my account so I'm not gonna waste it since its non refundable.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
[OP]
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
Gee wrote: Are you eating crow?
Have you even read the terms of the everywhere plans? Also if you don't live in Edmonton Alberta then u don't know how many areas can't get freedom coverage within the city. And most of the issues are inside buildings. As far as their own coverage they haven't expanded to anywhere else other than Edmonton, fort Saskatchewan, Sherwood park which has partial coverage,st Albert,nisku leduc and Calgary so everywhere else in Alberta your roaming they haven't expanded as much as Ontario and due to the crappy coverage inside buildings I'm not gonna stick around and wait for that to improve if it ever does.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Newbie
Jan 11, 2017
31 posts
25 upvotes
Are you able to just download torrents when you're in an area that gets reception to even out the usage? Buying out a tab on a $500 phone early will suck...

Still wouldn't fix your reception issue though :facepalm:
[OP]
Member
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
JunkyardDog wrote: Are you able to just download torrents when you're in an area that gets reception to even out the usage? Buying out a tab on a $500 phone early will suck...

Still wouldn't fix your reception issue though :facepalm:
I am not on a tab i am on Pay before and i have two months of service in my pay before account that i need to use up before i switch carriers, I have done my best to use over 2GB of data before i roam every month but this billing cycle i have gone out of the city twice in the same bill cycle which has made my roaming usage start to come close to the home usage so i am gonna switch to either Koodo or Virgin Mobile and port my number over before my 2nd bill cycle ends on October 15th, i will switch over by October 13th at the latest
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36329 posts
9593 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
@BrandonA586

I guess you're missing the point. You were such a staunch supporter of Freedom, now you have made a 180 degree turn.

You're obviously not familiar with the colloquial "to eat crow"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1193 upvotes
Montreal
if you do go with Koodo, make sure you get a referal for that money!
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)