Illegal basement apartment

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 1:58 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1599 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CNeufeld wrote: Again... Feel free to demonstrate that a hotplate IS acceptable.

In any case, as someone else has already pointed out, the OP is a hit-and-run.

C
Thanks C. If the OP is MIA, then I am done here too, not going to push this further for no one's benefit.
Oct 18, 2020
3 posts
Can you please provide more info on this? We are closing on a house in East York soon with a basement apartment that's been there since the 70s/80s. It was never rented out but has a separate entrance and kitchen (also connected to main house but I'm planning to close that off). I've inquired with some real estate lawyers, and no one seems familiar with what I need to do. The seller is willing to provide an affidavit, but not sure what needs to be included. One lawyer also said it should be registered at a multi-family home if I'm planning to rent out the basement.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4091 posts
907 upvotes
tototo8289 wrote: Can you please provide more info on this? We are closing on a house in East York soon with a basement apartment that's been there since the 70s/80s. It was never rented out but has a separate entrance and kitchen (also connected to main house but I'm planning to close that off). I've inquired with some real estate lawyers, and no one seems familiar with what I need to do. The seller is willing to provide an affidavit, but not sure what needs to be included. One lawyer also said it should be registered at a multi-family home if I'm planning to rent out the basement.
lol multi-family home on a duplex? i guess that's technically correct but it's better to list as a single family unless you're positive it can pass as a legal basement apartment, otherwise you may have to take steps to make it legal. In Toronto, I think you're safe unlike the OP. We're allowed to have secondary basement apartments even if they're non-conforming.
Jan 19, 2009
143 posts
17 upvotes
nx6288 wrote: lol multi-family home on a duplex? i guess that's technically correct but it's better to list as a single family unless you're positive it can pass as a legal basement apartment, otherwise you may have to take steps to make it legal. In Toronto, I think you're safe unlike the OP. We're allowed to have secondary basement apartments even if they're non-conforming.
I don't think you're "allowed". There is just way less of a chance of you being caught and/or penalized.
Oct 18, 2020
3 posts
hybridfx2 wrote: I don't think you're "allowed". There is just way less of a chance of you being caught and/or penalized.
How does the fact that the basement apartment has been there for 30+ years reduce the likelihood or getting caught or penalized?
Jan 19, 2009
143 posts
17 upvotes
tototo8289 wrote: How does the fact that the basement apartment has been there for 30+ years reduce the likelihood or getting caught or penalized?
Anecdotal at best. If you don't have a permit then you're SOL if a city inspector shows up. But 30+ years of history means your neighbours aren't complaining.