Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2580 posts
2372 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…

Illegal car park- blocking others WWYD

just looking for opinions on what others would have done. I was at a super busy store in a strip mall. I arrived before the store opened to get parking as it’s is always crazy, I have a medical appt right after. Even 20 min before store opening, I had one of the last spots. The spot was end spot near the fire lane, and partially parked on a snow pile. While waiting for store to open, someone parked illegally at a perpendicular angle (90 degrees) in the fire lane. They completely block my vehicle and the car across from so there was no way out for either of us, and managed to partially block the two vehicles beside each of us.

I asked around the front door if that was any one’s vehicle parked, and no one said anything. So I announced that they are blocking 4 vehicles and if it isn’t moved I will be calling parking control. A little older lady said that it was her vehicle (she was standing beside me and ignored me the first time I asked). I told her she is blocking all of us and should move her car. She replied she would be quick. I said probably not as quick as me and she should move it because it’s illegal. She refused, so I proceeded to call parking control and told her she needs to be quicker than parking control which is usually about 30-60 minutes which is also when I need to be at my appt.

She got really angry and said I couldn’t do that. I told her I wasn’t doing anything to her, I gave her the courtesy of telling her I was calling parking control and she had until they arrived to move, she immediately moved her vehicle in the the handicap spot (which I then see that she had a tag). In the meantime, it really divided everyone there, I wasn’t intending to make it such a big deal. there were a few yelling at me to leave the grandma alone and said it’s not my job to scold her and that I wasn’t the police and had no authority. I replied I wasn’t scolding her but she had access to handicap and choose to park illegally blocking everyone and I don’t have the authority to do anything other than call the parking authority and they could decide if they wanted to act. If she was so sure she was right, she was welcome to take her chances.

I had others coming to me and saying they agreed. It was quite a divide. I do feel bad that she was older, it just as I would never parked in a handicap spot I don’t kno w why some many people thought is was okay for her to block 4 vehicles. Just in interested in comments.

As a side note, I paid and left while she was still browsing in the main section and her car was still parked on the handicap spot when I left for my appt.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
867 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I probably would have lambasted her or smashed her windows. Good on you for not doing that!
Please respond
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14947 posts
5194 upvotes
GTA
You tried to be nice and ask before calling parking control. The people who sided with her are idiots.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7569 posts
2464 upvotes
0 downvotes
you did the right thing
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
YOu did the only thing you could. What is the alternative? Let her do her errands while you wait? Sorry, no.

Also you shouldn't be yelling or getting in confrontations. I wouldn't want someone getting in my face yelling and having their saliva droplets get in my eyes, nose, mouth right now.

Take the high road.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7569 posts
2464 upvotes
0 downvotes
dont let it bother you, but you were right, the people who were complaining about you have not been in your shoes before but im sure their tone will change if they are ever blocked in by an old lady
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38241 posts
24426 upvotes
Center of Universe
I would have called parking authority right away.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6704 posts
1442 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: You tried to be nice and ask before calling parking control. The people who sided with her are idiots.
+1.

OP, I would’ve done what you did. Nothing you did was wrong, IMO.

The age of the driver is irrelevant; despite what her white knights said. Entitled people exist at all ages.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7569 posts
7996 upvotes
Toronto
Grandma tried to play the age privilege card... but she was in the wrong
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2580 posts
2372 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Supercooled wrote: YOu did the only thing you could. What is the alternative? Let her do her errands while you wait? Sorry, no.

Also you shouldn't be yelling or getting in confrontations. I wouldn't want someone getting in my face yelling and having their saliva droplets get in my eyes, nose, mouth right now.

Take the high road.
I definitely didn’t yell at her. The closest to yelling was when I yelled into the crowd asking if the person whoo is blocking everyone please move their vehicle which she ignored.

I do feel a little bad because she was older. I was just surprised by the outrage by a few people. I would have thought it would have been worse if I didn’t say anything and just called parking patrol as I went in.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
I don't see why you have to made an entire thread about it. She moved her car.

You seem very impatient and please don't quote me. You could have pretended to call parking control and the old lady would have done the same thing.
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11113 posts
5994 upvotes
Toronto
Next time, just call The parking authority..I bet this ain't the first time she is doing it..maybe the handicap sign is not even under her name
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7163 posts
4455 upvotes
Between Countries
I long ago realized in every single confrontational situation, I'll ALWAYS be seen as an @-hole by someone. ALWAYS. EVERY SINGLE TIME. So I came to accept and revel in the title. Freely accepting that I am is extremely liberating. I don't need justification from anyone to fight a fight I believe in. Hmm, now I'm going to look up that Denis Leary song!

But if you are looking for justification, I think you did the right thing! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5261 posts
2588 upvotes
Winnipeg
You went out of your way to reach out to the owner of the illegally parked car. Not your fault the little old lady from Pasadena refused to park legally or move her car when it was pointed out.
This isn't a blog.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32088 posts
19312 upvotes
Toronto
Old lady Is simply selfish. I side with you, op Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3184 posts
1538 upvotes
You should have told the old lady to move her car in front of the white knight’s cars since they think that it was okay for her to double park.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6704 posts
1442 upvotes
Poppwl wrote: I don't see why you have to made an entire thread about it. She moved her car.

You seem very impatient and please don't quote me. You could have pretended to call parking control and the old lady would have done the same thing.
I think you need to re-read the thread title and the first sentence of the OP. OP clearly stated she was looking for opinions.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4130 posts
4357 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
You're nice i would have just called for it to be towed and avoid the confrontation of asking for whose car it is. You never know what kind of crazy person it would be, luckily it was just an idiot..
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
4085 posts
3363 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You handled it better than I would have.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15885 posts
21654 upvotes
Vancouver
roblombardi wrote: Grandma tried to play the age privilege card... but she was in the wrong
I had a broken hip when I was 22 (it was a really hard fall off my bike) and hobbled onto the bus with crutches. Nobody would give me a seat. I announced that it's hard to balance on one leg in a moving bus and I might fall if the bus comes to a sudden stop. Still nobody gave me a seat. Sure enough the bus had to make a sudden stop and I lost my balance and fell, right into the grandmas sitting in the handicap seats. There were a lot of "tsk tsks" and groans directed at me, the young guy who wasn't courteous enough to not fall into the grandmas. I lost a little faith in humanity on that day.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)