Automotive

Is it illegal to park at a three way residential intersection?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2021 7:55 am
[OP]
Member
User avatar
May 12, 2019
379 posts
492 upvotes

Is it illegal to park at a three way residential intersection?

Hey Guys,

I live in Mississauga. Over the past month or so we've had my neighbor's construction workers park right at the three way intersection of our street, right in front of my house (right at the stop sign and that area). I called the city two days ago and asked them to see if it is legal or not because it makes turning into my street tough. I saw the parking enforcement person come, speak with, and shake hands with the construction workers and drive off a day ago. The officer has since not returned and when I called the city, they said that the details about the case are private and confidential even though I filed the complaint myself. They are unable to tell me even if they are parking legally or not.

Is the parking that the workers do legal?

For reference, this is a photo of their parking:
Images
  • IMG_5807.jpg
  • Capture.PNG
Last edited by 419justblaz on Feb 26th, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
34 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 14, 2007
3657 posts
863 upvotes
GTA
While not in Mississauga, I can confirm that my mother received a ticket for parking within 5m of an intersection while visiting a friend up in Markham. The intersection was at a t-junction where a rear lane connected with a small residential street. I'd say it's not permitted but it seems like the bylaw officer(s) aren't going to do anything about it given what you witnessed.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2186 posts
1413 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Your photo does not clearly show the intersection, however seeing two of the streets and from the vantage point of the photo, is it safe to say the road behind the flatbed is the through road? The road with the stop sign terminates? If the answer is yes to both and I would guess there are no specific parking signage for that side of the street and all is permitted, as long as they are not blocking your driveway. Now it is also possible that there may be specific bylaws referencing that type of intersection, check here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... iJ7BQTxAHy
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2959 upvotes
keenland
The_Professor wrote: While not in Mississauga, I can confirm that my mother received a ticket for parking within 5m of an intersection while visiting a friend up in Markham. The intersection was at a t-junction where a rear lane connected with a small residential street. I'd say it's not permitted but it seems like the bylaw officer(s) aren't going to do anything about it given what you witnessed.
yep Markham is notorious for this ticket..I have had about 5 of them...I imagine Mississauga is the same.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
12013 posts
8701 upvotes
GTA, ON
General HTA for Ontario says that you cannot park within 9m of an intersection (15m if controlled). So one would say it is a ticketable offense, but the question is, do they consider a T-intersection on a low travelled residential side street a ticketable offense?

Ask a cop?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2186 posts
1413 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
RJones89 wrote: A quick google of Mississauga bylaw appears to show that parking within 5 meters of an intersection is a By-Law violation. Parking for longer than 3-hours may also be a By-Law violation.

https://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/Off ... s-2013.pdf
https://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/tra ... dindex.pdf
I have to respectively disagree with you here. That particular section 7(7) within the lateral lines of an intersection or within five (5) metres of the lateral lines to an intersection; is what I think you are referring to. The actual intersecting roadway here is the one with the Stop Sign, no closer that 5 metres from that sign, on that particular road. The one for the trucks is considered the through road and on that side there would be no violation. Again the OP has to confirm the actual layout of the intersection since we cannot see the one road extension.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Member
User avatar
May 12, 2019
379 posts
492 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote: Your photo does not clearly show the intersection, however seeing two of the streets and from the vantage point of the photo, is it safe to say the road behind the flatbed is the through road? The road with the stop sign terminates? If the answer is yes to both and I would guess there are no specific parking signage for that side of the street and all is permitted, as long as they are not blocking your driveway. Now it is also possible that there may be specific bylaws referencing that type of intersection, check here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... iJ7BQTxAHy
Hey, here's a photo of the intersection:
Image

That thing at the top of the three way is a luxurious catwalk/borderline park.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
May 12, 2019
379 posts
492 upvotes
chimaican wrote: General HTA for Ontario says that you cannot park within 9m of an intersection (15m if controlled). So one would say it is a ticketable offense, but the question is, do they consider a T-intersection on a low travelled residential side street a ticketable offense?

Ask a cop?
Could you enlighten me as to why they might not in certain cases?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2186 posts
1413 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
FYI the provisions of the H.T.A. do not usually apply for parking within a municipality if there are By-Laws regulating such. @419justblaz I have edited your photo to show you the 5 metre areas where there would be "No Parking", the blue line would be about where the intersecting lateral line would be. The yellow directional line indicates the through portion of the roadway without restriction, unless of course it is covered in a By-Law.
Images
  • Intersection.jpg
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
45217 posts
8235 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Hm... so they did a hand shake with the officers and they just walked away? Thats suspicious.
You might have to walk away too. I wouldn't want to end up with broken legs or something :-o
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Feb 26th, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
12013 posts
8701 upvotes
GTA, ON
@rcmpvet

This makes the most sense.
As I said, the question is whether it is defined as an intersection where the truck is parked. In this case, apparently it isn't.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Member
User avatar
May 12, 2019
379 posts
492 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote: FYI the provisions of the H.T.A. do not usually apply for parking within a municipality if there are By-Laws regulating such. @419justblaz I have edited your photo to show you the 5 metre areas where there would be "No Parking", the blue line would be about where the intersecting lateral line would be. The yellow directional line indicates the through portion of the roadway without restriction, unless of course it is covered in a By-Law.
Really? That's how it works? That is so silly lol. So basically an "intersection" is where the smaller road ends and not the general circle that the two streets join.

Thank you for the diagram though :) Clear as crystal and explains it perfectly. I honestly expected the laws to be a little less "parking-friendly".
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2712 posts
1727 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone has a similar answer for Toronto?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2186 posts
1413 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@canoek For Toronto - That is going to cost you some big bucks.Face With Tears Of Joy Toronto is very convoluted due to different parts of the City, whatever they may be. Here is the best I can do:

www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_950.pdf
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4739 posts
5833 upvotes
Toronto, ON
419justblaz wrote: I called the city two days ago and asked them to see if it is legal or not because it makes turning into my street tough.

I saw the parking enforcement person come, speak with, and shake hands with the construction workers and drive off a day ago.
So you didn't just call to ask if it were legal, you called to report them and gave them the address. *
Last edited by MrDisco on Feb 26th, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rude
[OP]
Member
User avatar
May 12, 2019
379 posts
492 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: So you didn't just call to ask if it were legal, you called to report them and gave them the address. *
They asked for the address to come and check it out. *
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
4301 posts
3573 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Seems like much ado about nothing. If turning into your street with a few vehicles around is tough then I don't think bylaw enforcement is your answer. Honestly, I'd agree that it's a minor annoyance to the routine but they'll be gone soon enough and you'll be able to return to your wide turns at higher speeds. In the meantime, drive a little slower and you'll have no problem navigating around the parked vehicles.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3488 posts
1045 upvotes
Edmonton
419justblaz wrote: Hey Guys,
....bla

Don't you have anything better to do than to be the annoying a-hole Neighbour?
Get some hobbies or something useful
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8

Top