Students

I'm 30. How can I go back to university again?

[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
250 posts
16 upvotes
North York

I'm 30. How can I go back to university again?

Hi, everyone.

I dropped out of health science program in its first semester due to my severe depression. (I mostly got A's from my courses, so it wasn't due to my grade)

Over the years, I've gotten proper treatments, addicted to online gaming, gotten out of it, done some travelling, done some voluntary works, then mostly engaged in minor part time jobs.

I really don't want to live my life like this anymore.

But I have no clue how I can go back to university.

I have a Canadian citizenship, and properly finished my high school in Canada.

Could anyone give me some insight as to what institutes I should contact and so on?
45 replies
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6159 posts
2077 upvotes
Mature student status is for people who had never applied for university.
Jan 21, 2015
55 posts
2 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Good that you decided to study.Better late than never.I am 38 and going to college now.You decide which career you want to choose and then apply for university or college.I think to get admission in college is easy.But for university you need good grades.You can apply for osap if your credit score is good.Think positive and proceed.I was worried and reluctant too in the beginning but not any more.I see people above 50 as students in my college.Nobody care about your age there.Best of luck.

Decide which course you want to study.Check the colleges with that course.Choose one you feel best.Do the same thing when you go to college at 20.

Nobody should guide you with your program of choice.You decide yourself.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2074 posts
116 upvotes
North York
Look for the program that you are interested in and then contact admissions of that program for that school. You did go to school in the past so they want a transcript if the school you are going to is different from the one you went to in the past. If you decide to go back to the same school, they might not give you those credits since some school has a time cut off (maybe about 10 years) for credits to be recognized. But you can probably petition your case.

Will you need OSAP? Apply.

Applications are always done online now but it is not difficult to show up at the school and ask questions on how you can apply.

Get ready to go back to school mentally and enjoy your journey. It is not difficult. Take the few first steps and the ball will start rolling. Good luck.
Mar 6, 2015
692 posts
50 upvotes
If the OP is still in Toronto, beside the generic encouragement and looking up information online on OUAC, how about oneself going in person to the continuing education department of a Torontonian university and ask with the intention to get in as undergraduate, which I think the OP is aiming as. You may be surprised of what opportunities offer one: like scholarships, just apply.
Last edited by cybercavalier on Oct 16th, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4443 posts
931 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gushingtears wrote: Hi, everyone.

I dropped out of health science program in its first semester due to my severe depression. (I mostly got A's from my courses, so it wasn't due to my grade)

Over the years, I've gotten proper treatments, addicted to online gaming, gotten out of it, done some travelling, done some voluntary works, then mostly engaged in minor part time jobs.

I really don't want to live my life like this anymore.

But I have no clue how I can go back to university.

I have a Canadian citizenship, and properly finished my high school in Canada.

Could anyone give me some insight as to what institutes I should contact and so on?
Before you get too deep into giving university a second go, what makes you think that getting a degree is the answer to changing your current life style?

If you've already given that much thought, like others have mentioned, apply as a mature student. It's never too late to keep on learning.

GL
Dec 17, 2014
616 posts
171 upvotes
Time is of the essence right now. I would definitely look up universities, programs, and go to the campus and speak to advisors. There are advisors who help high school, college, mature students even before they are admitted. Do that. Don't do anything stupid like apply to a program, spend time/money, realize it's not for you and drop out again. And I don't think 30 is that old!
Oct 10, 2010
488 posts
346 upvotes
Try diploma man - same as degree in most places. If you like what you study and then land some job, then you can use that job to upgrade it to degree.
Another thing is, decide on what you are going to do, study full time or study + work. If you are going to do the later, start at the lowest possible place that would help towards your end goal career. Eg: Admin Assistant/Accounting clerk -> Accountant. Good luck and take it easy!
Mar 6, 2015
692 posts
50 upvotes
enwhyRFD wrote: Before you get too deep into giving university a second go, what makes you think that getting a degree is the answer to changing your current life style?
If you've already given that much thought, like others have mentioned, apply as a mature student. It's never too late to keep on learning.
GL
I agree with the intent of asking this question: getting a degree may not solve things.

BTW, can someone direct me to more about ILC ?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Jun 25, 2007
393 posts
26 upvotes
What makes you choose health science back then? Are you still interested in health science now (because a health science bachelor degree alone doesn't seem to translate to great job prospect)? If you only did one semester, you are not like someone who just need a few more credits to graduate, so you are almost starting fresh. Like other posters said, college can be what you want if you haven't looked into it yet. Find the program you want, then contact that college/university's admission department to see if they can help. If it is a competitive program that needs an interview or essay, your life experiences: travel, volunteering, getting through the addiction could help you in the application process. Best of luck - it is great that you had success with the treatment and wants better for yourself.
Mar 7, 2011
109 posts
7 upvotes
Winnipeg
Find a way and go for it!! I was thinking about it at 30. I just started at 36. I'd be so much farther ahead if I'd just gotten my act in gear! This is the perfect time as application deadlines are coming up. Just apply to a faculty, any faculty now, and once you're in, you can look at changing your majors / program ect. SO maybe apply for something less in demand now. And just start taking courses.