Students

I'm 30. How can I go back to university again?

Feb 5, 2011
186 posts
9 upvotes
never too late bro, I went back at 30 and my dad went back at 53 for law school. we are both as happy as ever

do it! never live with regrets

best of luck
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34162 posts
3894 upvotes
Winnipeg
^true words never been spoken, follow your dreams
Mar 6, 2015
681 posts
50 upvotes
cyrene wrote: What makes you choose health science back then? Are you still interested in health science now (because a health science bachelor degree alone doesn't seem to translate to great job prospect)? If you only did one semester, you are not like someone who just need a few more credits to graduate, so you are almost starting fresh. Like other posters said, college can be what you want if you haven't looked into it yet. Find the program you want, then contact that college/university's admission department to see if they can help. If it is a competitive program that needs an interview or essay, your life experiences: travel, volunteering, getting through the addiction could help you in the application process. Best of luck - it is great that you had success with the treatment and wants better for yourself.
Out of my wild thought off my head, I just read some information on rfd forums about mba programs in the States. Have the OP ever thought of going outside of the GTA, Ontario or Canada for undergraduate studies. As OP only finished or almost finished freshman, that experience is going to feel like a undergraduate fresh start after years from university. So why not explore outside of this country, if the OP can afford it?

See also:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/universi ... nt-800001/
Jun 11, 2017
4 posts
My older brother suffered from crippling anxiety. He was in and out of school while working part time at soul crushing jobs. He has a great career now. If you have your depression under control you can easily go back. I would start with one or two courses a semester just to get yourself back in the right frame of mind.
Jul 9, 2016
671 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
I'm 30 as well, starting a 4 year degree in the fall. If you're in Ontario you could be eligible for lots of grants and loans under the new revamped osap program. I will be getting enough for tuition, books, and living expenses (renting a room) and food and everything for the 8 months. I wouldn't even need to get a part time job (but I probably will get one cuz I don't like living just by the skin of my teeth)
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6148 posts
2072 upvotes
SuperSauvage wrote: I'm 30 as well, starting a 4 year degree in the fall. If you're in Ontario you could be eligible for lots of grants and loans under the new revamped osap program. I will be getting enough for tuition, books, and living expenses (renting a room) and food and everything for the 8 months. I wouldn't even need to get a part time job (but I probably will get one cuz I don't like living just by the skin of my teeth)
That sounds wonderful. I wonder why they dont have programs like this in alberta.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11342 posts
7652 upvotes
Edmonton
vivibaby wrote: That sounds wonderful. I wonder why they dont have programs like this in alberta.
We send too much in transfer payments back east... Can't afford things like free education and low cost childcare like Ontario and Quebec.

C
Mar 6, 2015
681 posts
50 upvotes
If I were in my 30s, what shall I consider in the big picture about returning to school? I realized that the programs are best offered in Alberta, not in Ontario. Such relocation for study of 2 years means more residential expenses.

I need some ideas.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11342 posts
7652 upvotes
Edmonton
cybercavalier wrote: If I were in my 30s, what shall I consider in the big picture about returning to school? I realized that the programs are best offered in Alberta, not in Ontario. Such relocation for study of 2 years means more residential expenses.

I need some ideas.
What kind of programs are you looking for? Ontario has some of the top schools in the country.

C
Mar 6, 2015
681 posts
50 upvotes
Well, I realize the programs at the college level I am searching are best offered in Alberta but Ontario has some of the top schools...
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11342 posts
7652 upvotes
Edmonton
cybercavalier wrote: Well, I realize the programs at the college level I am searching are best offered in Alberta but Ontario has some of the top schools...
My personal thought... If you're going to college, "top schools" are pretty pointless to worry about. It might be different if you're talking about med school or law school or getting an MBA.

You may also consider where you want to seek employment after graduating. If you're going to want to work in Ontario, going to a "top college" in Alberta will likely not be as relevant as a good local college that employers will know.

C
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3821 upvotes
Even though I finished university I think I should go back to school soon, do whatever. I swear I feel like I'm getting dumber by the minute from the lack of brain exercises.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11342 posts
7652 upvotes
Edmonton
Messerschmitt wrote: Even though I finished university I think I should go back to school soon, do whatever. I swear I feel like I'm getting dumber by the minute from the lack of brain exercises.
Why not take continuing education classes? There's a lot of free/low-cost college and university classes available on-line.

C
Mar 6, 2015
681 posts
50 upvotes
I am recapping experience now. Maybe I would go to a university after college, please how can I decide what major I want to be in?

I like science in general, biology and chemistry, which I took at a college. I also read stuff on history for interest but I have been trying to improve my writing skills on essay.

I would like answers that are rooted in reality. For example, if someone told me to forget university and go apply to Michener, that is fine too.

Thank you so much...
Jan 17, 2018
276 posts
192 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote: I am recapping experience now. Maybe I would go to a university after college, please how can I decide what major I want to be in?

I like science in general, biology and chemistry, which I took at a college. I also read stuff on history for interest but I have been trying to improve my writing skills on essay.

I would like answers that are rooted in reality. For example, if someone told me to forget university and go apply to Michener, that is fine too.

Thank you so much...
What do you want to do? I went back to university in my 30s, but I had a plan of exactly what I wanted to study and where I wanted to be.

If you don't have a solid plan or vision for where you want to be, I would say don't bother, you won't get out of the program what you should as you don't have the big picture and the prize in your mind.

University IS NOT cheap. Not working in order to go means you lost whatever you were making before AND you have to pay all the living/school costs, so it is a BIG cost to stop your life to go back to school.

KNOW why you are doing it, and WHERE you want to go with it. Asking 'what should I study' is the wrong mindset. If you don't know that, why are you going?