Students

I'm 30. How can I go back to university again?

Mar 6, 2015
690 posts
50 upvotes
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Jul 31, 2017
630 posts
255 upvotes
Handcake wrote: What do you want to do? I went back to university in my 30s, but I had a plan of exactly what I wanted to study and where I wanted to be.

If you don't have a solid plan or vision for where you want to be, I would say don't bother, you won't get out of the program what you should as you don't have the big picture and the prize in your mind.

University IS NOT cheap. Not working in order to go means you lost whatever you were making before AND you have to pay all the living/school costs, so it is a BIG cost to stop your life to go back to school.

KNOW why you are doing it, and WHERE you want to go with it. Asking 'what should I study' is the wrong mindset. If you don't know that, why are you going?

Same with me (went back in early 30s with a solid plan in mind) and I agree wholeheartedly with this advice.

If the OP is asking others what they should study they've failed before they've even begun.
Feb 24, 2018
332 posts
153 upvotes
University takes 3-4 years, a college diploma takes 2 and is cheaper. Obviously for certain careers, you need a Uni degree but if you already have a uni degree or can pick out a career that doesn't require a bachelor's to make a decent salary (tech careers for example), I would just do a shorter college diploma.
Jun 4, 2013
470 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
Depends. If you don't have a family and can move back to live with your parents while going to school great! It will be a lot easier for you. For myself I am married had a family and going back to school isn't so easy since there are bills to pay and doing part time isn't idea since it a long time to complete a program.
Jan 30, 2017
6 posts
3 upvotes
Saskatoon
OP, just do it. Don't wait. I am 42 and finished my 1st year of a two year diploma. Had I started earlier, I would have aimed for a 4 year degree. But it seems out of reach for the length of time that it would consume. I waited and waited, finding excuses, but there's no time like the present. I saved my butt off to pay for it without getting into debt, but I think I may have saved myself years even if I did take on debt.

Do it smart. Think about what you really want to do and are interested in. It helps so much to be motivated even when you're unmotivated and you're under so much stress and hate school, but you keep doing it because everything you take is actually interesting and you know it will help you further your career. Do something you love.
Jan 26, 2008
739 posts
54 upvotes
Scarborough
I am 30 as well and in the process of going back to school. What would I need as a mature student? I want to study nursing at Centennial but I am not sure if I need top 6 courses or just English 4U, Chemistry 4U, Biology 4U, and Math 11 M/U or better.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9244 posts
1388 upvotes
I wish I was 30 and had saved up all my money from my full time job. Then can ball out when going back to school. They say school years were the time of your life, well, only if you had money to spend. If you were dirt poor, going to school is no fun.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9244 posts
1388 upvotes
sponge5307 wrote: Depends. If you don't have a family and can move back to live with your parents while going to school great! It will be a lot easier for you. For myself I am married had a family and going back to school isn't so easy since there are bills to pay and doing part time isn't idea since it a long time to complete a program.
What you are describing is doing an upgrade or upgrades. No way one can be married and then go back to school full time. Unless your spouse is super loaded and can pull full weight. I really doubt it is practical. Going to school most of the time is to get into a job, if you already have a career, no point waste time on trying to move to another job and start from the bottom. Usually very hard to stomach going up from the bottom again.
Mar 6, 2015
690 posts
50 upvotes
vinkl wrote: I am 30 as well and in the process of going back to school. What would I need as a mature student? I want to study nursing at Centennial but I am not sure if I need top 6 courses or just English 4U, Chemistry 4U, Biology 4U, and Math 11 M/U or better.
OntarioCollege
There is a difference between practical nursing and nursing....
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Jan 26, 2008
739 posts
54 upvotes
Scarborough
cybercavalier wrote: OntarioCollege
There is a difference between practical nursing and nursing....
Yes. There is a difference. One is a 2 year program. The other is 4 years. I want to enter the one that is 4 years but I am not sure if I have what I need. You suggested I reach out to a person in private. Thank you. I will do just that.
Mar 6, 2015
690 posts
50 upvotes
vinkl wrote: Yes. There is a difference. One is a 2 year program. The other is 4 years. I want to enter the one that is 4 years but I am not sure if I have what I need. You suggested I reach out to a person in private. Thank you. I will do just that.
Please do not quote me on the previous as I have tried to be helpful...
Last edited by cybercavalier on Aug 6th, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13052 posts
3527 upvotes
RFD
When I was in College, there were a lot of mature students, older folk. It's good to see them continuing learning. I think everyone should do it, I might even do it again too down the road when the economy changes due to automation.
Banned
Aug 8, 2020
10 posts
5 upvotes
Age does not matter. What is matter is your family, it will make more difficult for them then for you.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1375 posts
556 upvotes
I'm 32 and I'm going back to college for the first time in 6 years. didn't drop out my first go around, did my degree but realized over time it's getting me nowhere and I need to spend some time away from the working world to reinvest in myself instead of treadmilling it on a dead end job. you can do it OP.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4519 posts
1776 upvotes
Ancaster
CNeufeld wrote: We send too much in transfer payments back east... Can't afford things like free education and low cost childcare like Ontario and Quebec.

C
Err. Ontario has been a net payer for almost its entire existence and has the delicious distinction of being the only province to simultaneously be a "Have Not" and payer into equalization. Take that garbage to the Off-Topic forum.