I'm boycotting West Jet

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2020 10:48 am
[OP]
Sep 3, 2020
18 posts
28 upvotes

I'm boycotting West Jet

I just saw this on the news, and am horrified, but not surprised by the racism this couple experienced out of Calgary. I am boycotting West Jet. I saw the video evidence - the older child had a mask on. Witnesses say the family were polite, did not raise their voices and were pleading for some reason. They remain stuck in Calgary.

Not only did the staff not de-escalate, they contributed to the problem, cancelled the entire flight, and lied after the fact (their lies debunked by video and witness evidence)

I don't know about you, but I've had it up to here with organisational abuse.

More details on CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5716636
66 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4054 posts
1310 upvotes
WFH
I'd join you but I'm already boycotting them 'cause they tried to steal my money.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1897 posts
610 upvotes
DT Calgary
Even if it wasn't racist, what they apparently did was completely out of line and unnecessary. They sure have taken this whole mask thing to another level. They seem to want to make it well known in the media how hard-lined they are on wearing a mask. Air Canada doesn't seem to be doing this. And yes, I understand there are Transport Canada regulations to abide by, but WestJet has crossed a line imo. You'd think Onex would be a little more business savvy than this, what a disaster that purchase has been for them.

I have $700 in WJ points I need to use, and after that I'll go back to other airlines.
Feb 7, 2015
220 posts
149 upvotes
Are you exempted though if you show a medical certificate from a doctor that you have medical reasons for not wearing a mask? Or westjet will still kick you out even if you have a note from a doctor?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1897 posts
610 upvotes
DT Calgary
narut0 wrote: Are you exempted though if you show a medical certificate from a doctor that you have medical reasons for not wearing a mask? Or westjet will still kick you out even if you have a note from a doctor?
From how they want to be portrayed in the media, they'll point a gun at your head if you don't wear a mask.

But to answer your question, you'd be exempted. Same with children under the age of 2. But apparently they forgot about this rule.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24962 posts
4202 upvotes
narut0 wrote: Are you exempted though if you show a medical certificate from a doctor that you have medical reasons for not wearing a mask? Or westjet will still kick you out even if you have a note from a doctor?
If Westjet doesn't exempt those with medical issues, they'll end up losing a human rights case. I have no idea what they would do, since airlines seem to be operated by lunatics these days, but if they are smart, they will allow for a medical exemption, or they'll end up paying tens of thousands in court awarded costs
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1243 posts
1110 upvotes
Toronto
He said, she said.

The whole crew is lying according to CBC.

This guy now wants an apology, i.e. a payout.

F off.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2391 posts
639 upvotes
I'v been boycotting ALL airlines since 1990!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1206 posts
1566 upvotes
West
You'll get real far in our society if you only do business with those that are morally and ethically in line... [/s]

Boycott all you want - I don't think they'll care. You'll be back to them the minute AC ends up in the news for something silly, or if they simply have a better sale. I remember countless people swearing to boycott United after that "involuntary" removal incident some years ago... or how about those swearing to change banks after the stories about the sales targets banks put on their employees? People are quick to forget and incidents like these blow over; and besides, not really much choice here in Canada for air travel.

WestJet hasn't handled the aftermath well, I agree, though I'm sure they'll come around with all the media attention this incident has gathered. What else is new? Every company's first instinct is to always back their actions, until they realize how many people disapprove of their actions, or after realizing they've been caught lying.

But really, boycotting them over how a few crew members have decided to act during an already tense time? That's like not shopping at Superstore ever again because you didn't like how one of the cashiers treated some random person in the store at the end of their shift on Saturday night.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1370 posts
1681 upvotes
berrytree wrote: I just saw this on the news, and am horrified, but not surprised by the racism this couple experienced out of Calgary. I am boycotting West Jet. I saw the video evidence - the older child had a mask on. Witnesses say the family were polite, did not raise their voices and were pleading for some reason. They remain stuck in Calgary.

Not only did the staff not de-escalate, they contributed to the problem, cancelled the entire flight, and lied after the fact (their lies debunked by video and witness evidence)

I don't know about you, but I've had it up to here with organisational abuse.

More details on CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5716636
I'd tend to support the substance of your interpretation of events, except where is there any evidence of "racism"? The abuse appears to be one Flight Attendant that misjudged the circumstances and over-reacted.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4493 posts
882 upvotes
Scarborough
It comes down to a he said/she said situation.

The victim says it was the 19month not wearing a mask while Westjet says it was the 3yr old.

Yes, you should be wearing a mask if you're over 2, even if you have a medical condition. If you have a medical condition where you can't wear your mask, you are not fit to fly.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35464 posts
9489 upvotes
Ottawa
It instantly becomes a race issue because one passenger mentions it :facepalm:
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14554 posts
11759 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
robsaw wrote: I'd tend to support the substance of your interpretation of events, except where is there any evidence of "racism"? The abuse appears to be one Flight Attendant that misjudged the circumstances and over-reacted.
Pete_Coach wrote: It instantly becomes a race issue because one passenger mentions it :facepalm:
If you read the story ... saw the news

It became a RACE ISSUE as soon as some of the Pax started making inappropriate comments about the family’s ethnicity ... religion, etc
Out of the frustration of first the delayed take off, and finally the crews decision to cancel the flight ... cuz the incident had caused agitation between pax & crew

Let’s face it the whole thing was a sh!t show

No one should be forcing a kid under 2 to wear a mask. It’s just not realistic

WestJet is in the wrong here. They owe the guy & his family an apology
... not to mention the WestJet Employee who they’ve also banned from flying with them (see my next post)
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14554 posts
11759 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
cowbunpants wrote: He said, she said.

The whole crew is lying according to CBC.

This guy now wants an apology, i.e. a payout.

F off.
Guy has a good reason for wanting an apology ...

As WestJet Flight Attendant was in the wrong trying to force a mask to be be worn by a child under 2

Plus ... the guy & family is now banned from flying with them ... although he did nothing wrong

Not to mention that they were flying on WestJet Company Tickets ... as someone he knows (prob family) works for WestJet in Calgary
And guess what...
That person is banned from flying with WestJet too
Cuz of this incident

Talk about over reacting ... going Cra Cra.

WestJet effed this one up royally
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9480 posts
2013 upvotes
Somewhere
our options are slim here in canada

im boycotting westjet mainly cuz of their old ass 737s.
:confused: