Travel

I'm boycotting West Jet

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2020 10:48 am
[OP]
Member
Sep 3, 2020
365 posts
339 upvotes

I'm boycotting West Jet

I just saw this on the news, and am horrified, but not surprised by the racism this couple experienced out of Calgary. I am boycotting West Jet. I saw the video evidence - the older child had a mask on. Witnesses say the family were polite, did not raise their voices and were pleading for some reason. They remain stuck in Calgary.

Not only did the staff not de-escalate, they contributed to the problem, cancelled the entire flight, and lied after the fact (their lies debunked by video and witness evidence)

I don't know about you, but I've had it up to here with organisational abuse.

More details on CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5716636
66 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4331 posts
1601 upvotes
WFH
I'd join you but I'm already boycotting them 'cause they tried to steal my money.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
619 upvotes
DT Calgary
Even if it wasn't racist, what they apparently did was completely out of line and unnecessary. They sure have taken this whole mask thing to another level. They seem to want to make it well known in the media how hard-lined they are on wearing a mask. Air Canada doesn't seem to be doing this. And yes, I understand there are Transport Canada regulations to abide by, but WestJet has crossed a line imo. You'd think Onex would be a little more business savvy than this, what a disaster that purchase has been for them.

I have $700 in WJ points I need to use, and after that I'll go back to other airlines.
Member
Feb 7, 2015
281 posts
173 upvotes
Are you exempted though if you show a medical certificate from a doctor that you have medical reasons for not wearing a mask? Or westjet will still kick you out even if you have a note from a doctor?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
619 upvotes
DT Calgary
narut0 wrote: Are you exempted though if you show a medical certificate from a doctor that you have medical reasons for not wearing a mask? Or westjet will still kick you out even if you have a note from a doctor?
From how they want to be portrayed in the media, they'll point a gun at your head if you don't wear a mask.

But to answer your question, you'd be exempted. Same with children under the age of 2. But apparently they forgot about this rule.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
25651 posts
4797 upvotes
narut0 wrote: Are you exempted though if you show a medical certificate from a doctor that you have medical reasons for not wearing a mask? Or westjet will still kick you out even if you have a note from a doctor?
If Westjet doesn't exempt those with medical issues, they'll end up losing a human rights case. I have no idea what they would do, since airlines seem to be operated by lunatics these days, but if they are smart, they will allow for a medical exemption, or they'll end up paying tens of thousands in court awarded costs
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1564 posts
1313 upvotes
Toronto
He said, she said.

The whole crew is lying according to CBC.

This guy now wants an apology, i.e. a payout.

F off.
....
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2667 posts
814 upvotes
I'v been boycotting ALL airlines since 1990!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1768 posts
2568 upvotes
West
You'll get real far in our society if you only do business with those that are morally and ethically in line... [/s]

Boycott all you want - I don't think they'll care. You'll be back to them the minute AC ends up in the news for something silly, or if they simply have a better sale. I remember countless people swearing to boycott United after that "involuntary" removal incident some years ago... or how about those swearing to change banks after the stories about the sales targets banks put on their employees? People are quick to forget and incidents like these blow over; and besides, not really much choice here in Canada for air travel.

WestJet hasn't handled the aftermath well, I agree, though I'm sure they'll come around with all the media attention this incident has gathered. What else is new? Every company's first instinct is to always back their actions, until they realize how many people disapprove of their actions, or after realizing they've been caught lying.

But really, boycotting them over how a few crew members have decided to act during an already tense time? That's like not shopping at Superstore ever again because you didn't like how one of the cashiers treated some random person in the store at the end of their shift on Saturday night.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1861 posts
2368 upvotes
berrytree wrote: I just saw this on the news, and am horrified, but not surprised by the racism this couple experienced out of Calgary. I am boycotting West Jet. I saw the video evidence - the older child had a mask on. Witnesses say the family were polite, did not raise their voices and were pleading for some reason. They remain stuck in Calgary.

Not only did the staff not de-escalate, they contributed to the problem, cancelled the entire flight, and lied after the fact (their lies debunked by video and witness evidence)

I don't know about you, but I've had it up to here with organisational abuse.

More details on CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5716636
I'd tend to support the substance of your interpretation of events, except where is there any evidence of "racism"? The abuse appears to be one Flight Attendant that misjudged the circumstances and over-reacted.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4945 posts
1539 upvotes
Mississauga
It comes down to a he said/she said situation.

The victim says it was the 19month not wearing a mask while Westjet says it was the 3yr old.

Yes, you should be wearing a mask if you're over 2, even if you have a medical condition. If you have a medical condition where you can't wear your mask, you are not fit to fly.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10436 upvotes
Ottawa
It instantly becomes a race issue because one passenger mentions it :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
18463 posts
16015 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
robsaw wrote: I'd tend to support the substance of your interpretation of events, except where is there any evidence of "racism"? The abuse appears to be one Flight Attendant that misjudged the circumstances and over-reacted.
Pete_Coach wrote: It instantly becomes a race issue because one passenger mentions it :facepalm:
If you read the story ... saw the news

It became a RACE ISSUE as soon as some of the Pax started making inappropriate comments about the family’s ethnicity ... religion, etc
Out of the frustration of first the delayed take off, and finally the crews decision to cancel the flight ... cuz the incident had caused agitation between pax & crew

Let’s face it the whole thing was a sh!t show

No one should be forcing a kid under 2 to wear a mask. It’s just not realistic

WestJet is in the wrong here. They owe the guy & his family an apology
... not to mention the WestJet Employee who they’ve also banned from flying with them (see my next post)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
18463 posts
16015 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
cowbunpants wrote: He said, she said.

The whole crew is lying according to CBC.

This guy now wants an apology, i.e. a payout.

F off.
Guy has a good reason for wanting an apology ...

As WestJet Flight Attendant was in the wrong trying to force a mask to be be worn by a child under 2

Plus ... the guy & family is now banned from flying with them ... although he did nothing wrong

Not to mention that they were flying on WestJet Company Tickets ... as someone he knows (prob family) works for WestJet in Calgary
And guess what...
That person is banned from flying with WestJet too
Cuz of this incident

Talk about over reacting ... going Cra Cra.

WestJet effed this one up royally
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 10, 2011
9540 posts
2159 upvotes
Somewhere
our options are slim here in canada

im boycotting westjet mainly cuz of their old ass 737s.
:confused:
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10436 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: If you read the story ... saw the news

It became a RACE ISSUE as soon as some of the Pax started making inappropriate comments about the family’s ethnicity ... religion, etc
Out of the frustration of first the delayed take off, and finally the crews decision to cancel the flight ... cuz the incident had caused agitation between pax & crew

Let’s face it the whole thing was a sh!t show

No one should be forcing a kid under 2 to wear a mask. It’s just not realistic

WestJet is in the wrong here. They owe the guy & his family an apology
... not to mention the WestJet Employee who they’ve also banned from flying with them (see my next post)
The passenger was even a Westjet employee "WestJet said the family was travelling on employee travel passes and said those guests are held to a higher standard of behaviour. ".
Also, the flight was cancelled because "the behaviour of the rest of the passengers left the crew feeling unsafe to fly. "
"Another passenger, Marian Nur, witnessed the entire interaction." . "Nur said she felt the family was potentially being mistreated because of their race" So, it was an opinion.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1750 posts
1037 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to tell who is telling the truth from the news story.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
18463 posts
16015 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya you needed to read both my Reply # 13 and # 14
Pete_Coach wrote: The passenger was even a Westjet employee "WestJet said the family was travelling on employee travel passes and said those guests are held to a higher standard of behaviour. ".
Also, the flight was cancelled because "the behaviour of the rest of the passengers left the crew feeling unsafe to fly. "
"Another passenger, Marian Nur, witnessed the entire interaction." . "Nur said she felt the family was potentially being mistreated because of their race" So, it was an opinion.
Pax was not an employee ...

Here’s the full quote from the CBC Story :
WestJet said the family was travelling on employee travel passes and said those guests are held to a higher standard of behaviour.

The airline said in the update that it would revoke those travel privileges both for the Choudhry family and the WestJet employee who provided the benefits.
The CTV article ... and what I saw on the news ... stated that the family remained calm ... and not belligerent etc
It was only the 19 month old who was crying / having a tantrum ... over having a mask put on their face
So much so ... that the child threw up

That’s when the family was told they had to vacate the plane

By that point in time ... the cops were on the scene

And other Pax were highly agitated ... some at the screaming kid, some at the Parents, and some at how the situation was being handled (see the videos)

Racial slurs broke out ... evidently

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/westjet-says ... -1.5096690

WestJet ended up cancelling the flight not because of the family ... but rather cuz of the resulting meltdown between Pax & Crew

It just wasn’t a good atmosphere to fly ... due to the extreme agitation with the flight crew etc

Lots of disrespect going around ... towards the removed family, the flight crew, and WestJet policy etc

So the flight was cancelled.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2233 posts
1747 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
There are three sides to this story. The families, Westjets and the truth. In another article, some passengers said it was the 3 year old that was being asked to mask. The family originally didn’t comply, then did but people on the plane were all agitated that the flight was cancelled.

Even passengers don’t really know what happened. Race was just an opinion, there no evidence or other comment from others that it was racially motivated. I do appreciate that Westjet and any other company trying to enforce masks.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.

Top