Wokejet
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: If you read the story ... saw the news

It became a RACE ISSUE as soon as some of the Pax started making inappropriate comments about the family’s ethnicity ... religion, etc
Out of the frustration of first the delayed take off, and finally the crews decision to cancel the flight ... cuz the incident had caused agitation between pax & crew

Let’s face it the whole thing was a sh!t show

No one should be forcing a kid under 2 to wear a mask. It’s just not realistic

WestJet is in the wrong here. They owe the guy & his family an apology
... not to mention the WestJet Employee who they’ve also banned from flying with them (see my next post)
The passenger was even a Westjet employee "WestJet said the family was travelling on employee travel passes and said those guests are held to a higher standard of behaviour. ".
Also, the flight was cancelled because "the behaviour of the rest of the passengers left the crew feeling unsafe to fly. "
"Another passenger, Marian Nur, witnessed the entire interaction." . "Nur said she felt the family was potentially being mistreated because of their race" So, it was an opinion.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1076 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to tell who is telling the truth from the news story.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14521 posts
11727 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya you needed to read both my Reply # 13 and # 14
Pete_Coach wrote: The passenger was even a Westjet employee "WestJet said the family was travelling on employee travel passes and said those guests are held to a higher standard of behaviour. ".
Also, the flight was cancelled because "the behaviour of the rest of the passengers left the crew feeling unsafe to fly. "
"Another passenger, Marian Nur, witnessed the entire interaction." . "Nur said she felt the family was potentially being mistreated because of their race" So, it was an opinion.
Pax was not an employee ...

Here’s the full quote from the CBC Story :
WestJet said the family was travelling on employee travel passes and said those guests are held to a higher standard of behaviour.

The airline said in the update that it would revoke those travel privileges both for the Choudhry family and the WestJet employee who provided the benefits.
The CTV article ... and what I saw on the news ... stated that the family remained calm ... and not belligerent etc
It was only the 19 month old who was crying / having a tantrum ... over having a mask put on their face
So much so ... that the child threw up

That’s when the family was told they had to vacate the plane

By that point in time ... the cops were on the scene

And other Pax were highly agitated ... some at the screaming kid, some at the Parents, and some at how the situation was being handled (see the videos)

Racial slurs broke out ... evidently

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/westjet-says ... -1.5096690

WestJet ended up cancelling the flight not because of the family ... but rather cuz of the resulting meltdown between Pax & Crew

It just wasn’t a good atmosphere to fly ... due to the extreme agitation with the flight crew etc

Lots of disrespect going around ... towards the removed family, the flight crew, and WestJet policy etc

So the flight was cancelled.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1775 posts
1113 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
There are three sides to this story. The families, Westjets and the truth. In another article, some passengers said it was the 3 year old that was being asked to mask. The family originally didn’t comply, then did but people on the plane were all agitated that the flight was cancelled.

Even passengers don’t really know what happened. Race was just an opinion, there no evidence or other comment from others that it was racially motivated. I do appreciate that Westjet and any other company trying to enforce masks.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1361 posts
1669 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: If you read the story ... saw the news

It became a RACE ISSUE as soon as some of the Pax started making inappropriate comments about the family’s ethnicity ... religion, etc
Out of the frustration of first the delayed take off, and finally the crews decision to cancel the flight ... cuz the incident had caused agitation between pax & crew

Let’s face it the whole thing was a sh!t show

No one should be forcing a kid under 2 to wear a mask. It’s just not realistic

WestJet is in the wrong here. They owe the guy & his family an apology
... not to mention the WestJet Employee who they’ve also banned from flying with them (see my next post)
The OP makes it appear that it is Westjet exhibiting racism - no evidence that is or was the case.

As others have pointed-out - you're making leaps in conclusions not supported by any reports. Removing flight-pass privileges is not the same as a travel ban.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: Ya you needed to read both my Reply # 13 and # 14

Pax was not an employee ...

Here’s the full quote from the CBC Story :

The CTV article ... and what I saw on the news ... stated that the family remained calm ... and not belligerent etc
It was only the 19 month old who was crying / having a tantrum ... over having a mask put on their face
So much so ... that the child threw up

That’s when the family was told they had to vacate the plane

By that point in time ... the cops were on the scene

And other Pax were highly agitated ... some at the screaming kid, some at the Parents, and some at how the situation was being handled (see the videos)

Racial slurs broke out ... evidently

WestJet ended up cancelling the flight not because of the family ... but rather cuz of the resulting meltdown between Pax & Crew

It just wasn’t a good atmosphere to fly ... due to the extreme agitation with the flight crew etc

Lots of disrespect going around ... towards the removed family, the flight crew, and WestJet policy etc

So the flight was cancelled.
I read both your replies.

Point is, it is still a he said/ they said issue. Aircrew are in the same position as police nowadays, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Westjet denies staff did anything wrong.
If you want to fly these days, you will need to comply.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7439 posts
3543 upvotes
cowbunpants wrote: He said, she said.

The whole crew is lying according to CBC.

This guy now wants an apology, i.e. a payout.

F off.
I don't know all of the details about this case BUT CBC has a terrible track record when it comes to objective, complete and transparent reporting. I would tend to believe the opposite of what CBC is saying as they have a record of distorting and omitting key information in an effort to sway public opinion on many issues that are of importance to Canadians. I am not saying the family is in the wrong but CBC has very low credibility with the public.

All I know is that someone posted another thread in this forum that says something about a recent Westjet mask policy that sounded pretty strict. Whether one agrees with that can be debated but this may be part of the facts to consider when deciding on what happened here.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14521 posts
11727 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
choclover wrote: I don't know all of the details about this case BUT CBC has a terrible track record when it comes to objective, complete and transparent reporting. I would tend to believe the opposite of what CBC is saying as they have a record of distorting and omitting key information in an effort to sway public opinion on many issues that are of importance to Canadians. I am not saying the family is in the wrong but CBC has very low credibility with the public.
Which is WHY I get my news from more than one source.

CBC seemingly omitted a lot of info, that CTV had in their story on what happened.

As @Macx2mommy said ... every story has more than one side (many often)

But in addition to reading these 2 articles, I also saw the CTV News coverage on Tv

Sure looked to me like WestJet got their wires crossed on policy (at least as far as the Under 2 thing)

Not that surprising, as many a WestJet Employee has gone on the record to say over the years that they don’t get enough info from HQ often to do their jobs adequately (and they as employees find this extremely stressful )

As to the alleged racial profiling ... who knows

Racial slurs though ... those came from fellow disgruntled pax ... NOT WESTJET EMPLOYEES

And was definitely an attributing factor to why the flight got cancelled

No one anywhere that I have read ... is denying that happened. I guess the whole scene was over the top by the time it ended
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1361 posts
1669 upvotes
choclover wrote: I don't know all of the details about this case BUT CBC has a terrible track record when it comes to objective, complete and transparent reporting. I would tend to believe the opposite of what CBC is saying as they have a record of distorting and omitting key information in an effort to sway public opinion on many issues that are of importance to Canadians. I am not saying the family is in the wrong but CBC has very low credibility with the public.

All I know is that someone posted another thread in this forum that says something about a recent Westjet mask policy that sounded pretty strict. Whether one agrees with that can be debated but this may be part of the facts to consider when deciding on what happened here.
Credibility is in the eye-of-the-beholder and suggestions of CBC bias are as much influenced by the bias of the observer as CBC itself. The additional "details" from other sources add a lot of noise but little clarity as the amount of conflicting "evidence" grows.

Westjet's mask policy is no different than AC - the difference is that Westjet publicized their consequences - AC declined as a matter of policy to do the same. Both of these airlines have banned passengers for a number of reasons in the past, generally related to repeated refusal to follow directions of the flight crew or for belligerent behaviour. There is nothing particularly new here in terms of policy - what is new is the specific allegations in this case and whether Westjet was or was not attempting to apply the mask rules to a young passenger appropriately. After that it is all about the escalation of a hostile environment related to OTHER passengers and crew.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: Which is WHY I get my news from more than one source.

CBC seemingly omitted a lot of info, that CTV had in their story on what happened.

As @Macx2mommy said ... every story has more than one side (many often)

But in addition to reading these 2 articles, I also saw the CTV News coverage on Tv

Sure looked to me like WestJet got their wires crossed on policy (at least as far as the Under 2 thing)

Not that surprising, as many a WestJet Employee has gone on the record to say over the years that they don’t get enough info from HQ often to do their jobs adequately (and they as employees find this extremely stressful )

As to the alleged racial profiling ... who knows

Racial slurs though ... those came from fellow disgruntled pax ... NOT WESTJET EMPLOYEES

And was definitely an attributing factor to why the flight got cancelled

No one anywhere that I have read ... is denying that happened. I guess the whole scene was over the top by the time it ended
Point is, you said "It became a RACE ISSUE as soon as some of the Pax started making inappropriate comments".
Now you are saying "As to the alleged racial profiling ... who knows" Would you like some syrup with that waffle? You are all over the place.
Yes, every story has more than one side.
I agree with a previous poster that indicated the passenger wanted an apology...or more likely, a little cash.
You are correct in "whole scene was over the top by the time it ended" but it got there because of non compliance.
Apr 30, 2013
654 posts
308 upvotes
King City
Pete_Coach wrote: I read both your replies.

Point is, it is still a he said/ they said issue. Aircrew are in the same position as police nowadays, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Westjet denies staff did anything wrong.
If you want to fly these days, you will need to comply.
End of discussion.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15436 posts
4604 upvotes
London
PointsHubby wrote: , I also saw the CTV News coverage on Tv..

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2031872

The CTV news account says other passengers started arguing with the cabin staff that they were incorrect (that the 19 month old was required to wear a mask) . The CTV news footage clearly shows the 3 year old calmly sitting in her seat with a mask on (and the 19 month old maskless)

I'm guessing that the real issue likely is something simple - I'm guessing likely that the 3 year old and 19 month old had switched seats/ were sitting in each other's assigned seats. The cabin crew was going by the passenger manifest/ seat number (which shows the kids ages) and assumed that 19 month old was the 3 year old . In the CTV news footage, the 19 month old does look big for her age.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24960 posts
4198 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Point is, you said "It became a RACE ISSUE as soon as some of the Pax started making inappropriate comments".
Now you are saying "As to the alleged racial profiling ... who knows" Would you like some syrup with that waffle? You are all over the place.
Yes, every story has more than one side.
I agree with a previous poster that indicated the passenger wanted an apology...or more likely, a little cash.
You are correct in "whole scene was over the top by the time it ended" but it got there because of non compliance.
You have no idea how the situation "got there."
The only people who know what happened are the people who were there.

The family says they walked onto the plane with neither kid wearing a mask. If that happened, Westjet screwed up by even letting them board.
The family then says a flight attendant approached them and stated both kids needed to wear a mask. They masked the 3 year old but were unable to mask the 19 month old.
That is apparently when police were called.

Westjet hasn't released much of a statement except to indicate the issue was with the 3 year old.

What we do know is a video has been released showing the 3 year old with a mask on. We don't know at what point the 3 year old put the mask on.
Other passengers have spoken out in support of the family.
There's a video of a police officer stating that the mask issue had been discussed with the airline and had been resolved. If the issue was with the 3 year old, nothing the cops said to the airline staff could resolve the issue.
The airline chose to cancel the flight, due to anger of other passengers toward the airline staff. Their decision to cancel the flight wasn't due to the family in question. If the airline acted appropriately, why were so many other passengers so angry with the airline that the Captain felt he needed to cancel the flight?

I've been on a flight with a disruptive person who was taken off by police. We were delayed by hours due to that person. When the person was removed by police, everyone cheered and clapped. Not a single person was mad at the airline staff. I have serious doubts that other passengers chose to take issue with the airline if the family was at fault.

So tell me again how you're so sure it was due to non-compliance?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1076 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
Again not clear what happened, but any reasonable person would know that mask and a baby don't go together. The kid would be constantly trying to get the mask off and be cranky the entire time it was on. Also, I would not want the liability of something happened to the child due to the mask.

So either we have a completely unreasonable West Jet employee who did not even bother to ask a another crew member to check regulations or the family is not telling the whole story