I'm boycotting West Jet

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2020 10:48 am
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4749 posts
1096 upvotes
Abbottabad
Man COVID got people so worked up. This world is turning into shits right before our eyes.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2234 posts
2769 upvotes
I'm boycotting this trainwreck of a thread.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35464 posts
9489 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaner wrote: You have no idea how the situation "got there."
The only people who know what happened are the people who were there.

So tell me again how you're so sure it was due to non-compliance?
Whoa there...
I was addressing what another poster said.
You were there???
I also said there was more than one side to the story. Who is telling the truth? Don't know but it seems you are taking one side? The video was after the police were called.
I am not sure it was non compliance but, if there was compliance it certainly would not have gotten so far as to the police being called and the flight being cancelled.
Post #32 say s it all.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
This is why i prefer to fly foreign airlines.
Too much racism or stupidity and paranoia on these cdn and usa airlines (both companies as well as their pax)
Thanks God i dont need to fly domestic or to usa. The shit gets worse each time new incident happens
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1181 posts
889 upvotes
Toronto
People tripping over themselves to bring up the R word at every opportunity
[OP]
Sep 3, 2020
18 posts
28 upvotes
There was video evidence of the older child wearning a mask, and witness accounts.

Also, Westjet's response seemed pretty arrogant and condescending to me. I'll boycott them as long as I have a choice.
Aug 3, 2017
533 posts
361 upvotes
berrytree wrote: There was video evidence of the older child wearning a mask, and witness accounts.

Also, Westjet's response seemed pretty arrogant and condescending to me. I'll boycott them as long as I have a choice.
Not sure if I'm happy that the media's love affair with WS has ended, or unhappy that the media are generally unfair to everyone in how they report these things. I'm no WS fan, but punishing them based on one story that at worst is a bad apple cabin crew member or at best misreporting seems a little unfair, however of course your choice. Their defense was their style to quickly communicate, however I suspect they probably want to take that back now too after it backfired.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3674 posts
2469 upvotes
robsaw wrote: I'd tend to support the substance of your interpretation of events, except where is there any evidence of "racism"? The abuse appears to be one Flight Attendant that misjudged the circumstances and over-reacted.
I guess the million dollar question is would WJ have reacted the same way (demanding they get off the plane and calling the police) if it was a white family? The family did nothing wrong - they were trying to put a mask on the 19 month even though they weren't legally required to and she wasn't having it - anyone who has spent any time with a kid under 3 knows they won't do anything they don't want to and will have a epic tantrum.

From my understanding some pax were angry at the family not WJ, which could be another indication of racism. Of course some white people roll their eyes when racism is mentioned because racism isn't a problem :rolleyes:
lpin14 wrote: Hard to tell who is telling the truth from the news story.
Not really - video shows the 3 year old wearing the mask. What do you think the family is lying about exactly?
Last edited by hierophant on Sep 10th, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5130 posts
1932 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: I guess the million dollar question is would WJ have reacted the same way (demanding they get off the plane and calling the police) if it was a white family?
The other question, that WJ alluded to, is whether WJ would have acted the same way if they were paying customers. I don't know the answer to either question. If the reaction is because "you're here on a freebie as an employee perk, so one strike and you're out", I don't have a problem with it. Obviously if the reaction is because of how they look, I do.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8353 posts
1246 upvotes
Vancouver
Saw the interview with the man accused. He speaks proper Canadian English and while obviously visibly brown this isn’t like a culture clash. Considering the multicultural nature of an airline that flies in and out of Toronto I’d have a hard time to believe that flight was when these attendants decided to stick it to a brown guy

I dislike Westjet however I don’t think racism is at play here. If anything south asians would generally be more compliant to masks if they spent their lives on India.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11905 posts
2100 upvotes
Mississauga
So this is the basic summary of events from what I gather:

- Dad, mom, 3 year old and 19 month old board the plane using employee passes. Neither kid is masked during boarding (19 month old does not have to be).
- While seated and preparing to depart, flight crew notices that the 3 year old is unmasked. They ask that she mask up. She does.
- Now here's the big point of contention: Parents claim that WJ then forced them to mask the 19 month old, which ended up in her becoming very fussy and vomiting. WJ says they did not ask this.
- Sometime during all this, other passengers, getting increasingly frustrated by the delay, start making a commotion.
- Flight crew decides the whole situation is untenable and cancels the flight. Everyone gets off.

We need to get witnesses who were actually able to hear the details of the conversation between the crew and the family.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2696 posts
708 upvotes
Scarborough
Shaner wrote: ....
Other passengers have spoken out in support of the family.
There's a video of a police officer stating that the mask issue had been discussed with the airline and had been resolved. If the issue was with the 3 year old, nothing the cops said to the airline staff could resolve the issue.
The airline chose to cancel the flight, due to anger of other passengers toward the airline staff. Their decision to cancel the flight wasn't due to the family in question. If the airline acted appropriately, why were so many other passengers so angry with the airline that the Captain felt he needed to cancel the flight?

I've been on a flight with a disruptive person who was taken off by police. We were delayed by hours due to that person. When the person was removed by police, everyone cheered and clapped. Not a single person was mad at the airline staff. I have serious doubts that other passengers chose to take issue with the airline if the family was at fault.

So tell me again how you're so sure it was due to non-compliance?
This.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11409 posts
1997 upvotes
Toronto
GateGuardian wrote: It comes down to a he said/she said situation.

The victim says it was the 19month not wearing a mask while Westjet says it was the 3yr old.

Yes, you should be wearing a mask if you're over 2, even if you have a medical condition. If you have a medical condition where you can't wear your mask, you are not fit to fly.
While I'm generally skeptical about passengers and their complaints, I'm inclined to believe this guy. Because a Witness basically backed up what the 'victim' said. The police even were surprised the one without the mask was under 2 years old. They just took the flight attendant's word and employed terrorist take down 101. WestJet is completely silence on this, opague, etc. They're wanting to limit bad press and any sort of admittance of mistake.

A 19 month old will have a very hard time understanding what a mask is for. They tried and started crying. I know my kids would have done the same (1 more so than the other). If they don't want to exempt 19 months old, then don't freaagin allow under 2 year olds to fly.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3674 posts
2469 upvotes
Manatus wrote: The other question, that WJ alluded to, is whether WJ would have acted the same way if they were paying customers. I don't know the answer to either question. If the reaction is because "you're here on a freebie as an employee perk, so one strike and you're out", I don't have a problem with it. Obviously if the reaction is because of how they look, I do.
But strike out for what? What exactly did they do wrong? The 3 year old had a mask on, and they were trying to put on the mask on the 19 month old even though they didn't have to they were being forced to and she vomitted in the process. If they tried any harder they'd be charged for child abuse. I can't imagine the family lying when everyone has phones/cameras and everything goes viral - a few witnesses have stepped forward in support of the family, not WJ (at least from what I've seen). IMO you typically have nothing to hide when you go public with a story because you know there are going to be people that will dissect everything to uncover the truth. From my perspective WJ is standing by its employees without doing a thorough investigation ( first and the employees do have motive to not be as forthcoming.

I know from own experience that even store workers that are responsible for keeping order at line ups, ensuring people are wearing masks, social distancing, etc. like at Walmart are on a power-trip in how they talk down to customers (particularly at the beginning it irked me because I didn't think being condescended to was necessary). I can totally see the airline crew being a-holes - many of them were a-holes long before COVID lol. Also according to the report, the family is completely banned from airline - that's harsh.
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8353 posts
1246 upvotes
Vancouver
hierophant wrote: Also according to the report, the family is completely banned from airline - that's harsh.
That’s just genius Westjet marketing trying to assure people they’ll be around in the future and their Westjet dollars have values.
Autocorrect sucks