I'm boycotting West Jet

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2020 10:48 am
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1090 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
West Jet will also remove fly pass privileges for the employee who provided the family with their passes. What a jerk move as lots of airline employees provide passes to family and friends.
Sep 7, 2009
663 posts
269 upvotes
lpin14 wrote: West Jet will also remove fly pass privileges for the employee who provided the family with their passes. What a jerk move as lots of airline employees provide passes to family and friends.
A jerk move by Wesjet to revoke privileges or a jerk move by the employee to give it to people that wouldn’t follow the rules?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1090 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
holden wrote: A jerk move by Wesjet to revoke privileges or a jerk move by the employee to give it to people that wouldn’t follow the rules?
A jerk move by the airline
Sep 14, 2012
687 posts
400 upvotes
Montreal, QC
lpin14 wrote: A jerk move by the airline
I don't work for the airline industry but personally I don't have an issue with Westjet revoking an employee's fly pass privileges who gives his/her pass(es) to people who don't follow the rules.

I don't know what the rules regarding airline fly passes are but I'm assuming that they can't be sold and if they can be given, they must be given to family members (and maybe friends). If this is the case, and I worked for an airline, I wouldn't give my employee pass to someone who might cause problems during a flight. Similarly if I worked for a major theme park beginning with D and they gave me free or heavily subsidized day pass to their park and I gave it to a friend who misbehaves in the park, I would have no issue with the park not giving me a free or heavily subsidized pass in the future for a specified amount of time.

In terms of this story, I'm on the opinion that there are 3 sides to every story... there is the family's side, the airline's side, and the truth.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14624 posts
11839 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
lmcjipo wrote: I don't work for the airline industry but personally I don't have an issue with Westjet revoking an employee's fly pass privileges who gives his/her pass(es) to people who don't follow the rules.

I don't know what the rules regarding airline fly passes are but I'm assuming that they can't be sold and if they can be given, they must be given to family members (and maybe friends). If this is the case, and I worked for an airline, I wouldn't give my employee pass to someone who might cause problems during a flight. Similarly if I worked for a major theme park beginning with D and they gave me free or heavily subsidized day pass to their park and I gave it to a friend who misbehaves in the park, I would have no issue with the park not giving me a free or heavily subsidized pass in the future for a specified amount of time.

In terms of this story, I'm on the opinion that there are 3 sides to every story... there is the family's side, the airline's side, and the truth.
Lol, and THE TRUTH would be the videos.

Which clearly seem to line up with the Pax, not the airline.

Besides, WestJet has said the flight got cancelled cuz the other Pax’s were at odds with the flight crew
(which I understand the reasoning on cancellation)

But that just tells me the Airline was BEYOND WRONG in this case. They owe the family an apology
And they owe their Employee who they’ve also banned from flying one too

Pretty clear to me, that WestJet is being the bad guy in this story
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4500 posts
886 upvotes
Scarborough
PointsHubby wrote: Lol, and THE TRUTH would be the videos.

Which clearly seem to line up with the Pax, not the airline.

Besides, WestJet has said the flight got cancelled cuz the other Pax’s were at odds with the flight crew
(which I understand the reasoning on cancellation)

But that just tells me the Airline was BEYOND WRONG in this case. They owe the family an apology
And they owe their Employee who they’ve also banned from flying one too

Pretty clear to me, that WestJet is being the bad guy in this story
I disagree regarding the video. They started filming after the police got on board. By that time, the kid already threw up everywhere.
Sep 15, 2017
371 posts
360 upvotes
Saskatoon
I'll buy a few extra tickets to make up for this dumb thread.
Aug 14, 2015
818 posts
533 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Tell me when the flight crew beats the crap out of a doctor and drags him out of the plane.
Otherwise, this is a non-issue that is not newsworthy.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35484 posts
9516 upvotes
Ottawa
GateGuardian wrote: I disagree regarding the video. They started filming after the police got on board. By that time, the kid already threw up everywhere.
I agree with you.
Often videos are taken well after the the issue started. You only see the end result and not what actually caused it. Then people jump on a bandwagon and insist the end video is the only truth.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1377 posts
1695 upvotes
spiritsBB wrote: Tell me when the flight crew beats the crap out of a doctor and drags him out of the plane.
Otherwise, this is a non-issue that is not newsworthy.
If you don't think it is worthy of discussion - then don't join in the discussion.

A disagreement that turns into an entire cancelled flight and related to COVID is most certainly of general interest in terms of public and private policy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7480 posts
3583 upvotes
GateGuardian wrote: I disagree regarding the video. They started filming after the police got on board. By that time, the kid already threw up everywhere.
Not sure how many times we, as the public, have been shown a video of something that shapes our opinion only to discover a fuller video later on that completely changes the interpretation and opinion of the story. Video can be very compelling but we don't know what we don't know and may be forming opinions based on limited information.
Sep 29, 2010
259 posts
291 upvotes
i love reading the peanut gallery.... opinions of those who were not there... even opinions of those who were there but did not necessarily witness the entire incident.
certainly the news can spin any story any way they want.

the rules are set. it becomes a he said she said between the passengers in question and westjet.

a several second video is meaningless.
ok... it shows a child in a mask... but if an entire video existed, would it show any time on board when the child was not wearing a mask? WJ would argue yes.

other passengers who reportedly made the flight "unsafe" should be ashamed.
playing the "race card" in unecessary... i'm not saying racism does not exist in society... just that there is enough going on without that being an issue.

that's my peanut gallery 2 cents.
Aug 14, 2015
818 posts
533 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
robsaw wrote: If you don't think it is worthy of discussion - then don't join in the discussion.

A disagreement that turns into an entire cancelled flight and related to COVID is most certainly of general interest in terms of public and private policy.
This is news:

WestJet's policy laid out many days ago:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westje ... -1.5703063

WestJet's reasoning for their policy:
http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Do ... urrent.pdf

This is not news:

Did WestJet enforce mask wearing to the 3 year old or to the 1.5 year old? How outrageous. Lets get the story from the family! Leading to some asking to boycott the company, a payout, drama, drama, drama.

News with your concern taken into account would be like:

"WestJet enforced its policy set out 10 days ago leading to flight cancellation after family did not comply with mask wearing". Message delivered without the drama. It kind of did that with the recent update of the article. Previous to it is basically fox news.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2320 posts
18718 upvotes
As others have said the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

People have erroneously reported that the couple face a flight ban.

The airline said in the update that it would revoke those travel privileges both for the Choudhry family and the WestJet employee who provided the benefits.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5716636

Any racial slurs by passengers is unacceptable no matter how frustrated they were with the delay and subsequent cancellation of the flight.

Also
WestJet said the family was travelling on employee travel passes and said those guests are held to a higher standard of behaviour.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5716636

In the CTV video, the Dad says he was approached by crew and asked for children to put on masks. He said give us some time to comply and after some struggles was able to mask the 3 year old.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2031872
Which means the family was in non-compliance while waiting for takeoff (maybe the child was eating or drinking and they forgot to put the mask back on).

Couple this all with its a red eye flight, kids are out of their routine, maybe even cranky and tired and stuff happens.

The father also stated they were on their way back to Toronto, so when they flew out did they not have masks on during that flight ( Transport Canada rule for face coverings went into effect in April 2020).
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-cana ... ystem.html
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1128 posts
1445 upvotes
Canada, eh?
berrytree wrote: I just saw this on the news, and am horrified, but not surprised by the racism this couple experienced out of Calgary. I am boycotting West Jet. I saw the video evidence - the older child had a mask on. Witnesses say the family were polite, did not raise their voices and were pleading for some reason. They remain stuck in Calgary.

Not only did the staff not de-escalate, they contributed to the problem, cancelled the entire flight, and lied after the fact (their lies debunked by video and witness evidence)

I don't know about you, but I've had it up to here with organisational abuse.

More details on CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5716636
There's definitely more to this story that's not being revealed right now to the media. They were also traveling on a employee buddy pass. Sucks that the employee will get affected too thanks to this incident though. I hate AC and WS both equally, but I'll reserve my judgement until more info is provided or if there's a better picture of what happened.