Automotive

Im interested in doing my own oil changes and changin my tires myself. Which Jack would you guys recommend?.

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2021 12:26 am
[OP]
May 29, 2017
270 posts
200 upvotes

Im interested in doing my own oil changes and changin my tires myself. Which Jack would you guys recommend?.

Essentially Ill be changing a Mazda 3 2017 and a dodge Caravan (year unknow)

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... p.html#srp

https://www.costco.ca/arcan-3-ton-profe ... 17470.html

Edit: yes stands will also be purchased.
Last edited by Cnsr0033 on May 7th, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1664 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I don't have a specific model. 3 tons is sufficient to do what you are looking to lift. Make sure the jack will provide enough height for the Caravan - I ended up purchasing a different jack when I bought an SUV as it wouldn't provide enough height.

***** Ensure you use the jack in conjunction with some jack stands if you plan to work under the vehicle.
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes
This is what I use. I do 6-7 cars per season for tire changes. Lifts up my lowered civic and our rav4 no problem.

Hybrid so slightly lighter than all steel ones

Costco 3 ton jack

Your text to link here...
Images
  • T1.PNG
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1200 posts
494 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
for oil change, you'd be better with a ramp and no, it's dangerous to rely on a jack only.

For me, I use 2 cedar block after driving on them, a breeze to change oil.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10089 posts
9922 upvotes
Markham
That Costco Arcan is an excellent jack for the price point.

As for oil changes, I would recommend ramps as well. If you use a jack, will work but you also need jack stands. I wouldn't crawl underneath anything unless I know it's super sturdy.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18853 posts
2536 upvotes
Woodbridge
Jack stands are cheap. I agree go with Costco.

Use parking brake, block the rear tires.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1495 posts
893 upvotes
Toronto
Costco Jack

If you are a newbie, use proper Jack stands. If you don't use Jack stands, at least have a habit putting a wheel underneath the rail when swapping tires/wheels

Get yourself a nice impact wrench
17, 19, 21mm and 7/8" deep sockets
Torque wrench
Oil Filter removal tool
Oil drain pan
Lots of crushed washers
Mar 22, 2004
566 posts
350 upvotes
London, ON
One thing to consider, is the minimum and maximum height of the jack. May be worthwhile to spend a bit more to get something with a wider range for "futureproofing" if you ever get a taller vehicle. I have a CT jack which is identical to the Costco one posted above, but with its 15" swing range, it wasn't high enough to lift my wife's Volvo XC60 (despite it being able to handle my Ford Explorer -- go figure). The combination of the rocker height and amount that I needed to lift the Volvo was too much for the smaller jack. I ended up having to buy an additional jack like this:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... p.html#srp
Banned
Apr 28, 2021
36 posts
21 upvotes
Regarding tire changes, what do you use to know the torque when using an impact wrench?
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
10041 posts
5014 upvotes
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Covrig wrote: Regarding tire changes, what do you use to know the torque when using an impact wrench?
Torque wrench for final step.
Telus Peace of Mind Plan $45 25GB
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4396 posts
4567 upvotes
GTA
Covrig wrote: Regarding tire changes, what do you use to know the torque when using an impact wrench?
The impact wrench is for removing the wheel nuts. You tighten the wheel nuts by hand, followed by a torque wrench.

An advanced move is to use the impact wrench on a lower/lowest setting to snug up the wheel nuts, then do the final tightening with a torque wrench. For example, the medium setting on my pneumatic 1/2" impact wrench gets the wheel nuts to ~50 lb-ft, then I let the car down and do the final tightening to 80 lb-ft with my torque wrench. Do not try this if your impact wrench does not have adjustable power settings.

You can remove the wheel nuts using full power.
Banned
Apr 28, 2021
36 posts
21 upvotes
derass wrote: The impact wrench is for removing the wheel nuts. You tighten the wheel nuts by hand, followed by a torque wrench.

An advanced move is to use the impact wrench on a lower/lowest setting to snug up the wheel nuts, then do the final tightening with a torque wrench. For example, the medium setting on my pneumatic 1/2" impact wrench gets the wheel nuts to ~50 lb-ft, then I let the car down and do the final tightening to 80 lb-ft with my torque wrench. Do not try this if your impact wrench does not have adjustable power settings.

You can remove the wheel nuts using full power.
Seems mine only has 1 speed and it's 1800 inch/lbs

Can I not even give it a squirt just to get the nuts in? It's a pain trying to put the nut in and dealing with the big manual wrench
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4396 posts
4567 upvotes
GTA
Probably. You just need to give it a well calibrated squirt lol.

You should be able to turn the torque wench about 1/8" of a turn before it hits the torque spec. If the wrench clicks immediately, then you probably held the impact wrench too long and over-tightened the wheel nut.

I like being able to do it with a reduced power setting, because I can just hold the trigger as long as I want, until I see the socket/wheel nut stop turning. That always works out to be about 50 lb-ft. Your method will be much more inconsistent as the tightening depends entirely on how long you hold the trigger.

Three of the most important things in wheel retention are clean mating surfaces, oil-free and undamaged wheel bolts/studs/nuts, and even clamping force. I learned all this stuff as policy training when I worked as a tire installer.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12232 posts
2439 upvotes
Toronto
Cordless impact wrench is worth it.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1051 posts
857 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
The Costco jack is great. I have a big 3 ton Motomaster unit because it was free. On my 4 cylinder coupes/sedans I can raise up the entire side of the vehicle and get two wheels done at once. Quicker, easy.

If you ever need higher lift clearance in future just use a block of wood. No need to buy multiple jacks. I can raise a 2020 3/4 ton GM truck to change a flat with my crappy tire jack.