Careers

Immigration and career progression

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2019 12:36 pm
Jan 23, 2019
3 posts

Immigration and career progression

Good day,

I'm currently a tax practitioner in my country with the relevant qualifications who is planning to migrate to Canada. Understanding that the different tax legislations in both countries would mean different tax laws and administration, hence, not transferable.

However, I intend to still practice tax when I eventually get to Canada, so, was doing research on courses to take to make my transition seamless (Note that I am also chartered with the ACCA), which was what led me to the MTax and the In-depth tax courses.

What path do you suggest I take? Would prefer to start the programs from here if online distance learning programs are available, are they? How do I become a CPA? Any other relevant information would also be appreciated.

Thank you
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
6054 posts
853 upvotes
Markham
JayeolaO70389 wrote: Good day,

I'm currently a tax practitioner in my country with the relevant qualifications who is planning to migrate to Canada. Understanding that the different tax legislations in both countries would mean different tax laws and administration, hence, not transferable.

However, I intend to still practice tax when I eventually get to Canada, so, was doing research on courses to take to make my transition seamless (Note that I am also chartered with the ACCA), which was what led me to the MTax and the In-depth tax courses.

What path do you suggest I take? Would prefer to start the programs from here if online distance learning programs are available, are they? How do I become a CPA? Any other relevant information would also be appreciated.

Thank you
Hi,

Look up the CPA canada website and see if there is any reciprocity agreement between CPA canada and the country you are licensed in. Best bet to get your licensure here.

To be a tax practitioner here you dont technically have to get your CPA license here, so you can do mtax/in depth to get the tax designations your looking for.

As far as I know you cant really do any of it via distance learning.
Sep 10, 2016
224 posts
42 upvotes
My accountant was CA in India think he did the CPA again in Canada
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2004
1157 posts
824 upvotes
Scarborough
There are two things here:

1. Getting your accounting designation (CPA, CGA etc), and
2. Learning and ultimately working as a tax practitioner.

Both are independent of each other (to a certain extent), and can be done in parallel

1. Designation - As others have suggested, get in touch with the relevant certification authority. The'll help you with your path on getting the designation.

2. Working as a tax practitioner - you'll need to do some courses in order to start working in that field. Courses can be done at either a college or with a tax accounting firm. H R Block, Softron Tax (in Toronto), and there be others in other Canadian cities, usually have courses starting around Sep of each year. Once you complete the course with the tax accounting firm, there is a strong possibility they will absorb you for the upcoming tax season, usually from Feb to Apr/May. If you do a course from the college, you'll have to look for a job either through campus interviews or on your own. Don't expect to get paid much in the 1st year. By working during the tax season you now have some relevant experience and confidence. Some firms may offer you a full-time job after the tax season. Keep in mind the tax practitioner business is very competitive. You have have to do more than just that, look into book-keeping, accounting, payroll, filing GST returns etc. Some of these firms are even getting into bankruptcy filing, preparing Wills.

My wife has been in this business for quite a few years, send me a PM if you have any further queries or need more info

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)