Oct 22, 2013
101 posts
21 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON

Immigration consultant course

Hello everyone
I’m considering to pursue the Immigration consultant course in Ashton college
My questions
1. Does the completion of course grant you a certificate to practice or is their an exam ? How hard are the exam/s ?
2. Is it a good college to pursue the course ?
3. Employment opportunity after completion of course

Any advice on colleges offering the course as its remote .
17 replies
Aug 5, 2017
184 posts
92 upvotes
immigration consultants are all scammers, why would you want to get into this ?
Everything an immigration consultant will sell you can be found for free
[OP]
Oct 22, 2013
101 posts
21 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
I have read that immigration rate is going up and would like to work in filed .
May 10, 2017
627 posts
441 upvotes
dante01 wrote: immigration consultants are all scammers, why would you want to get into this ?
Everything an immigration consultant will sell you can be found for free
I know people in immigration consultant business who make over a million dollars per year.

Why do people need immigration consultant?
For ex. People can do their own taxes if it’s simple enough, but sometimes some people hire accountants (to prevent making costly mistakes)
Same thing for using an immigration consultant
Donate to your local food bank today!
Aug 5, 2017
184 posts
92 upvotes
DirtPoor wrote: I know people in immigration consultant business who make over a million dollars per year.

Why do people need immigration consultant?
For ex. People can do their own taxes if it’s simple enough, but sometimes some people hire accountants (to prevent making costly mistakes)
Same thing for using an immigration consultant
Except its not the same stakes (like at all)
The whole business plan of an immigration consultant is to capitalize on basic information that can easily be found on the internet
Seriously if the GoC website isn't clear enough, there are countless websites and blogs (made by those who went through immigration) that go over the process of immigration in such detail that you don't need anything else
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
2776 posts
2499 upvotes
GTA
I recall this being something you need to be licensed to do, perhaps that's part of the course.

Do people already in Canada need this? I might just be naive but I see anyone here already has done this and familiarized themselves with the process or needs complex help that might be done by an immigration lawyer. Let me know if I am missing something.
I say already in Canada since I know people in other countries may not be used to having a government with a lot of information on websites and may not be used to relying on forums for discussing immigration plans. There are parts of the world where immigration consultant services are popular.

Also unless there are jobs for an existing firm which I believe you are looking for, freelancing this would be tough since its like a realtor's customer intake model where you have to get word of mouth or advertising and an existing reputation to get cases.
Perhaps an idea would be to search for jobs on the internet like you just passed today. See what the search results come up as and perhaps you can help determine if this is right for you.

Just sharing out loud, good for you OP on trying to broaden your skills.
May 10, 2017
627 posts
441 upvotes
dante01 wrote: Except its not the same stakes (like at all)
The whole business plan of an immigration consultant is to capitalize on basic information that can easily be found on the internet
Seriously if the GoC website isn't clear enough, there are countless websites and blogs (made by those who went through immigration) that go over the process of immigration in such detail that you don't need anything else
Could be oversimplying what the immigration consultants do and can do :)
Bottom line is, at least for a couple immigration consultants I know, there is a continuous flow of new clients who are willing to pay a couple thousand dollars fee for their help regardless of what sort of help and guide there is online.

This is why I never underestimte any profession's / small businesses ability to make money.
Donate to your local food bank today!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56390 posts
21411 upvotes
This was a great service business to be into, even if the consultant didn't want to tarnish his/her name by massaging application information and was ethical. Best to work with a lawyer that specializes in immigration too.

It's mostly a sunset industry because many people, especially those who don't understand the concept of opportunity costs and stand to make much more money here than in their home countries, will rely on themselves and at times, will have to fix their application because they made a mistake here and there, resulting in years of delay.

I heard it's still good if clients are at least slightly affluent and would rather pay for the services.
Aug 5, 2017
184 posts
92 upvotes
DirtPoor wrote: Could be oversimplying what the immigration consultants do and can do :)
Bottom line is, at least for a couple immigration consultants I know, there is a continuous flow of new clients who are willing to pay a couple thousand dollars fee for their help regardless of what sort of help and guide there is online.

This is why I never underestimte any profession's / small businesses ability to make money.
I'm not underestimating it either, it's a profitable business
sadly gullible people are a dime a dozen, especially from third world countries
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
You could work for the international office at a college or university. AFAIK you only job is counselling ie to give students advice re: student visa and work permit issues

You can of course work independently, or work in an immigration firm. I know some immigration consultants end up opening their own firms. Guaranteed that they would have to deal with more challenging cases every now and then like picking up client from a detention centre, attending hearing and such. These are the tough work imo and require a lot of tact and diplomacy
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1489 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
dante01 wrote: Except its not the same stakes (like at all)
Any mistakes with immigration papers can set you back months to years. Pretty high stakes if you ask me.

Like any profession there are scammers and immigration consultants is no exception but it doesn't mean there's no value in it.
[OP]
Oct 22, 2013
101 posts
21 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Sep 29, 2014
230 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto, ON
https://iccrc-crcic.ca/find-a-professional/

Note: It is an offense punishable by law to provide Canadian immigration services for a fee or other consideration if not regulated by ICCRC, a Canadian law society, or the Chambre des notaires du Québec.

https://www.queensu.ca/gazette/stories/ ... enship-law

Two-term, nine-course online program will be the only educational pathway for Canadians to become Regulated Immigration Consultants.

https://immigrationdiploma.queenslaw.ca/

Canada's only English-language pathway to becoming a licensed immigration consultant.

Immigration consultants can represent clients before the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. Many immigration consultants take on refugee claimants as their main source of clientele. It is not just economic immigrants and international students that go to immigration consultants. Immigration can be very complex to navigate and there are a lot of incompetent and lazy immigration consultants out there. Because of incompetent and fraudulent immigration consultants in the past, the ICCRC is now taking steps to make it more difficult to become one.

If you want to be a good immigration consultant and obtain a diploma that will be recognized by future employers, apply to the Queen's program.
Dec 5, 2013
281 posts
80 upvotes
I know it is silly question.I should be handle the English Test.
However,
I am not a exam person.
IELTS CanTEST CELPIP CAEL which one is easier for language test comparatively? Just for the RCIC
Jun 8, 2019
681 posts
330 upvotes
Not exactly addressing the original questions but my personal experience. I applied for permanent residence through the spousal application. It was ALOT of work. I did it all on my own basically through looking at forums, asking questions on there and carefully reading the documentation.

We did have a friend who paid 10k for someone to do it for them and they weren’t crazy rich or anything so I guess people exist out there who will pay for something where all the info was feeely available.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7607 posts
1681 upvotes
Scarborough
if you want to work in, for example, your origin country, it would perhaps benefit you......clients there would know your certified and you may get lot of business.
But its a lot of work too.
You'll have to offer liasion services like helping them getting their credentials assessed, etc or helping register for an IELTS, or guiding them
People in many countries just pay others to fill their paperwork......many can't even read/understand simple visa forms. etc so there is a demand.....
outside canada you can make more money....but u may need to move out there
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
3308 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
You spend a lot of time trying to get information out of clients and their documents. Often you are a personal cheerleader to go pursue things like academic records and letters of employment.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7607 posts
1681 upvotes
Scarborough
Don't limit your consultancy just to Canada, learn Australia, NewZealand and US etc system as well and offer those services for those countries too, more money n more work for you, more clients