Real Estate

Impact on Cdn real estate? Japan to increase immigration by 40% and lowering standards to attract workers

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2018 11:23 pm
[OP]
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
663 upvotes

Impact on Cdn real estate? Japan to increase immigration by 40% and lowering standards to attract workers

Will this mean we won't be able to fill our targets and impact our RE?

They're no longer even requiring degrees unlike most of our immigrants in the economic criteria !

But seems like as day of reckoning for Japan comes closer with their demographic cohort getting older, robots and automation and offshoring is not enough. Will this save stagnation in Japan RE? Will people rather immigrate there than Canada?

They even want unskilled people now

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/japan-lab ... -1.4888808
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's cabinet approved draft legislation on Friday to open the door to more overseas blue-collar workers in sectors grappling with labour shortages, a controversial policy shift in immigration-shy Japan.

Immigration has long been taboo as many Japanese prize ethnic homogeneity, but the reality of an aging, shrinking population is challenging such views.

Despite misgivings in Abe's Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), parliament is likely to adopt the revisions in the face of intense pressure from businesses battling the tightest labour market in decades, although opposition parties could delay.

The revised law would create two new visa categories for foreigners in sectors with labour shortages. While not spelt out, they are expected to be more than a dozen, from farming and construction to hotels and nursing care.

Justice Minister Takashi Yamashita on Thursday ruled out a numerical cap, but media said 500,000 blue-collar workers could be allowed in over time, up 40 per cent from the 1.28 million foreign workers now

Abe has said the changes do not constitute an "immigration policy," out of an apparent desire not to upset his conservative backers. Many experts differ.

"I think this is a de facto shift to an immigration policy," Hidenori Sakanaka, a former head of the Tokyo Immigration Bureau, told Reuters.

The tiny nationalist "Japan First Party" has protested against the changes for reasons such as fears foreigners would inflate welfare rolls and crime rates, it says on its website.

A recent survey by the Yomiuri newspaper, however, showed 51 per cent of Japanese voters favoured letting in more unskilled foreign workers and about 43 per cent backed recognizing "immigration" — about the same percentage as those opposed.

'"I think it's a good thing as long as there is a support system for the foreigners," said retiree Yoshio Sai. "I wish they could make more work opportunities for us old people, too."/quote]
10 replies
Jan 16, 2017
418 posts
255 upvotes
this is it guys, sell now else prices will go back to 2008 levels.

brace yourself. and for us millenials if we aren't too busy on the instagram/fb/snapchat perhaps we can buy some homes for 300k
Nov 1, 2001
494 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Gboard2 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 6:33 pm
Will this mean we won't be able to fill our targets and impact our RE?

They're no longer even requiring degrees unlike most of our immigrants in the economic criteria !

But seems like as day of reckoning for Japan comes closer with their demographic cohort getting older, robots and automation and offshoring is not enough. Will this save stagnation in Japan RE? Will people rather immigrate there than Canada?

They even want unskilled people now

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/japan-lab ... -1.4888808
you're forgetting the language barrier hurdle in Japan. it is still a bit sexist over there and behind in workplace laws. unpaid overtime is encouraged. leaving on time is frowned upon. using your vacation is frowned upon. but i guess if you can't get into any other country, japan is pretty good.
childcare worker gets pregnant before turn
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2967 posts
2358 upvotes
ranjeet2000 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 9:33 am
you're forgetting the language barrier hurdle in Japan. it is still a bit sexist over there and behind in workplace laws. unpaid overtime is encouraged. leaving on time is frowned upon. using your vacation is frowned upon. but i guess if you can't get into any other country, japan is pretty good.
childcare worker gets pregnant before turn
Actually, it's much worse than this. The OP needs to read about Japan abusing female workers (mostly from China), underpaying them and getting them deported at the slightest complaint.

Thailand is a much better place for Chinese to make money and they do. Japan is a lot more racist,
Dec 30, 2012
874 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
Japan is increasing total immigrants (foreign workers...I'm not sure if one can truly "immigrate" to Japan in the Western sense) from 1% of the population to 1.5%; over the course of several years. Yeah that's massive lol.

Japan is preserving its unique culture and way of life and maintaining its standard of living and GDP per capita despite a gradually decreasing population. It allows entry to foreign workers at just the level it requires, no more than that, presumably in line with public opinion. That's how it should be.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9438 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto
This is the beginning of Japan losing its identity. All the amazing things you watch on YouTube about Japan is because they don't have a huge mix of cultures. Prime example is Canada. Toronto for example, so many people from India, China, Europe, etc. Toronto has no identity at all. Then we start to elect people from different cultures, which grew up with different views, expectations, logic. You don't see YouTube videos of Toronto amazing unique foods or places like Japan.

I wish Japan good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8279 posts
3300 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 6:22 pm
This is the beginning of Japan losing its identity. All the amazing things you watch on YouTube about Japan is because they don't have a huge mix of cultures. Prime example is Canada. Toronto for example, so many people from India, China, Europe, etc. Toronto has no identity at all. Then we start to elect people from different cultures, which grew up with different views, expectations, logic. You don't see YouTube videos of Toronto amazing unique foods or places like Japan.

I wish Japan good luck.
Please speak on this great Toronto culture that has been lost.

The problem or difference with Canada is we don't have much of a culture and we also don't ask for newcomers to adopt that culture. Newcomers can come here and not venture outside of their own culture....which is why you see so many people who live here and barely speak english.

Multicultural societies are great, but there are downsides and that down side is when other cultures do not assimilate. You see that a lot here in Toronto.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17300 posts
2797 upvotes
Toronto
rfdrfd wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 6:22 pm

I wish Japan good luck.
You really think Toronto has no identity? Is that why so many people live here and continue to visit despite our piss-poor infrastructure and lack of a competent government? That mix is Toronto's identity. The same way Singapore's mix is a strength, the mix here is one too.

I'd love to move to one of those small Japanese towns that's emptying out and start a business or work for one. It seems like such a nice place.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9438 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto
JayLove06 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 9:58 pm
Please speak on this great Toronto culture that has been lost.

The problem or difference with Canada is we don't have much of a culture and we also don't ask for newcomers to adopt that culture. Newcomers can come here and not venture outside of their own culture....which is why you see so many people who live here and barely speak english.

Multicultural societies are great, but there are downsides and that down side is when other cultures do not assimilate. You see that a lot here in Toronto.
Agreed. Its especially bad when one location becomes predominantly one culture. Like at work for example. It now turns into I'm working in China, or India. I thought I was working in Canada?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9438 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 10:05 pm
You really think Toronto has no identity? Is that why so many people live here and continue to visit despite our piss-poor infrastructure and lack of a competent government? That mix is Toronto's identity. The same way Singapore's mix is a strength, the mix here is one too.

I'd love to move to one of those small Japanese towns that's emptying out and start a business or work for one. It seems like such a nice place.
There's many reasons why people live here. By living, I mean immigrate. The main reason is because its the best choice in the World:
USA: lots of racism, Trump
Europe: racism, terrorism,
Australia: racism
Japan: not friendly to non-Japanese speaking people

Canada: lots of immigrants, your uncle/aunt is already here, accepts everything, minority rules

India/China/Ukraine/Russia/etc.: People LEAVE from those countries to come here, I have heard of NO ONE in my many years that actually said "I'm going to move my family to India !! (or Russia or China, etc)

Sorry I do not see "mix" is our identity. This is what one says when we dont have any identity. Its like people who buy weird pieces of furniture that don't match anything in their living room, then call it "ecletic".