Home & Garden

Impact Driver Bits

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2022 11:31 pm
Jan 4, 2013
35 posts
17 upvotes

Impact Driver Bits

This is going to sound really dumb, but what are people using for impact driver bits? More specifically to drive deck / construction screws.

So, I have always used a cordless drill to drive screws, and have driven thousands of them. The other day I went to go help a friend fix a fence and decided it was time to get an impact driver. So picked up a Ridgid subcompact.

The bits I used to use (purchased many years ago) where all just 3-4" long #2 Robinson bits... grabbed at home depot.. nothing special. Screws where just a mix of construction and ACQ screws (2.5" up to about 3.5" long)... also picked up at a big box store. These bits work well and from what I can tell, have a slight taper to them. No problems at all, BUT, they arn't impact rated and after a few screws, I mushroomed the end of one bit, getting it stuck in the chuck......... so I got some impact bits.

Tried Dewalt Flex torq in #2 square and the milwaukee shockwave also in a #2 square and it seems that these bit are just a hair too big? I mean 1 in 5 screws the head of the driver just won't fully seat into the screw and it slips like crazy. The ones that work work ok.

So the question is... a) am I just crazy? b) Am I doing something wrong? c) should I be buying a robinson #2 instead of a sq#2 ... and if so, where to find them? d) what is everybody else using? I can't see me being the only person having difficulties.
9 replies
Jul 2, 2011
285 posts
173 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Jonney wrote: This is going to sound really dumb, but what are people using for impact driver bits? More specifically to drive deck / construction screws.

So, I have always used a cordless drill to drive screws, and have driven thousands of them. The other day I went to go help a friend fix a fence and decided it was time to get an impact driver. So picked up a Ridgid subcompact.

The bits I used to use (purchased many years ago) where all just 3-4" long #2 Robinson bits... grabbed at home depot.. nothing special. Screws where just a mix of construction and ACQ screws (2.5" up to about 3.5" long)... also picked up at a big box store. These bits work well and from what I can tell, have a slight taper to them. No problems at all, BUT, they arn't impact rated and after a few screws, I mushroomed the end of one bit, getting it stuck in the chuck......... so I got some impact bits.

Tried Dewalt Flex torq in #2 square and the milwaukee shockwave also in a #2 square and it seems that these bit are just a hair too big? I mean 1 in 5 screws the head of the driver just won't fully seat into the screw and it slips like crazy. The ones that work work ok.

So the question is... a) am I just crazy? b) Am I doing something wrong? c) should I be buying a robinson #2 instead of a sq#2 ... and if so, where to find them? d) what is everybody else using? I can't see me being the only person having difficulties.
Here's what you're doing wrong. Never by ANY tool related items without first checking Project Farm for a completely independent review. All your questions will be answered. Seriously.

Best impact drive bit video here:

I hope that helps. Tom
May 10, 2006
129 posts
75 upvotes
I change out my impact bits all the time and have used and tried many brands.

Milwaukee wins for me overall. I get the least amount of slips with them and they last very long compared to other brands. Guess that video above confirms what I feel with everyday use.

#2 is my most used bit, never had the problem of them being too big? I would say its a screw quality problem. If you are saying every 5th screw isnt fitting its definitely inconsistancy in the screws. Try another brand of screws for sure.
Last edited by Agent240sx on May 20th, 2022 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Banned
Mar 14, 2022
392 posts
415 upvotes
Outer GTA
There was a brand one of the wholesalers I used to deal with carried. "Racky Bits." I'd usually get a year or so out of a bit before it was worn out.
May 10, 2006
129 posts
75 upvotes
Also forgot to mention depending on your impact there are different settings. It does help to be in the proper setting. It pervents slips, rounding out etc.

Some settings have higher initial torque and some have a slower start etc. I know the dewalt xr and milwaukee fuel lines have 3 speeds and a screw setting.
Mar 10, 2012
336 posts
343 upvotes
THORNHILL
Jonney wrote: I mushroomed the end of one bit, getting it stuck in the chuck
What do you mean by this? Somehow the non driving end of the bit mushroomed?

Robertson is not the same as square drive, as you noted, Robertson bits/screws have a slight taper. That being said, some square drive bits do have a taper.
Jan 4, 2013
35 posts
17 upvotes
brianl999 wrote: What do you mean by this? Somehow the non driving end of the bit mushroomed?

Robertson is not the same as square drive, as you noted, Robertson bits/screws have a slight taper. That being said, some square drive bits do have a taper.
Yes, the bit I was using was non impact rated.... LOL.. purchased way back before impact drivers where popular....... the end that goes into the impact driver mushroomed and slightly deformed. We drove I am guess 100-150 3.5" screws with it.

I'm starting to wonder if the screws I'm using are Robertson screws and not square screws..... anybody know where we can get Robertson bits? I ordered a Mikita Impact X bit in Sq2 the other day. The description on the website says Robertson but when I got the package it just says Sq2... LOL.... will give it a try in a few days and see if it's better..

Agent240sx I agree the quality of the screws might be a concern here as they should either all fit or all not fit. Just wondering why with the old bits I'm using they seem to all work tho........
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1995 posts
473 upvotes
Years ago I bought a box full of the cheap "Job mate" Canadian tire house brand assorted bits I think at that time I paid less then $20.00 , to this day I'm still using them. Now if you buy one single bit its at least $5.00 for a single time use.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
I've never seen a robertson/square bit that's incompatible with the other screws, you sure it's not just paint or other junk in the square recess causing problems?

Also a good non-impact rated bit shouldn't deform, in fact they are more likely to shatter and that was the reason for introduction for impact rated bits, your old bits are probably lower quality and too soft.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
I find that if you use an impact rated bit properly, it really doesn't matter which brand you get. I have driven thousands of screws on a single Mastercraft bit with no issues. You need to make sure the bit is seated properly, you apply force, and you use the right speed / torque setting (not only does it help you from slipping off the screw but also extends battery life).

I have had the occasional deck screw (not as many as you have had) with the coating blocking where the bit goes. That seems normal and I'm sure happens, but it would only be for coated screws. The zinc construction screws you mention using shouldn't have this problem.

There are subtle differences with true robertson bits. You will see them marked as "R2" instead of "S2" / "SQ2". For example, here are some Bosch bits which are marked as being Robertson:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bosc ... 1306p.html

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)