• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2021 8:26 am
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR

Is impact driver supposed to wobble?

I recently bought the ridgid 5pc combo, and when taking things out and trying them I noticed a wobble with the impact driver. Saw it with the standard bit attached to the back of it, but added a longer bit to accentuate the wobble.

Is this normal? I am sort of expecting a "perfectly circular rotation" Face With Rolling Eyes

http://imgur.com/a/bRBtxRD
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
Kaitlyn wrote: I recently bought the ridgid 5pc combo, and when taking things out and trying them I noticed a wobble with the impact driver. Saw it with the standard bit attached to the back of it, but added a longer bit to accentuate the wobble.

Is this normal? I am sort of expecting a "perfectly circular rotation" Face With Rolling Eyes

http://imgur.com/a/bRBtxRD
I think its the Rigid's way of doing things. I dont agree with it.
I had a normal non imnpact drill and when drilling small drills I noticed ( after about a year ) that the chuck had a slight wobble in it. I tried to go thru the warranty process ( lifetime ) but then noticed all their drills did the same. and their warranty isnt worth the paper its on.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2761 posts
1830 upvotes
GTA
Does this wobble with all types of bits? Maybe that bit was a bit warped?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea mine's like that as well.. but when you use it you put pressure on the end (and no freewheel) and it's fine.
I thought at first to return it ... but I'm not a contractor... just an avid DIY... and if it's an issue later I'll just get it replaced.
Dec 21, 2020
946 posts
823 upvotes
That looks normal. An impact driver doesn't clamp down the bit like a drill does so there is always some play in the bit. Not having a screw and any pressure on it lets it flop around a bit like that. If it makes you feel better both of my Milwaukee impact drivers also have a loose bit and will sometimes wobble like that with no screw or load on them
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Milwaukee M18 & Ryobi impact drivers and they do not wiggle/wobble as shown in your picture. I used them very often and they’ve been abused/dropped but still functioning perfectly without any wobbling.

Like some has said, try another bit to see if it does the same thing- I would not be able to stand that.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4682 posts
3975 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
I have several Ridgid impact drivers of various vintages, and they all have play in the "chuck". It hasn't caused any issues in the performance of the tool(s). The wobble is also amplified by the longer driver bit you are using.
If it was a drill with a wobbly chuck, that's an entirely different thing.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
100% fine. This wont affect your ability to use the tool.

I had runout in my drill press and made them fix it though
Nov 18, 2008
784 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
i have Milwaukee and Dewalt, I think it's normal if I remember correctly if you wiggle with your hand, there is tiny play. Especially on a longer bit that you had on the impact.