Home & Garden

Impatiens Imara downy mildew resistant - where to find in GTA

  • Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2019 11:30 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2009
910 posts
221 upvotes

Impatiens Imara downy mildew resistant - where to find in GTA

I've waiting years for a genetically modified plant to be developed which is resitant to downy mildew... seems like this company finally bred something... anyone know a nursery in the GTA Toronto area that sells this variety?

https://www.syngentaflowers-us.com/camp ... -impatiens
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1444 posts
532 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I've been planting impatiens again for the last 2 years now (this will be the third) and they've done really well. Just the plain old cheapo ones you get for $10 a flat at Cdn. Tire, etc. I have no idea if they are these fancy-dancy GMO ones are not. Why don't you just try buying what you local garden centre has? I'm sure they'll do just fine. The blight seems to be over.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3459 posts
1219 upvotes
Ottawa
icantfigureoutausername wrote: I've been planting impatiens again for the last 2 years now (this will be the third) and they've done really well. Just the plain old cheapo ones you get for $10 a flat at Cdn. Tire, etc. I have no idea if they are these fancy-dancy GMO ones are not. Why don't you just try buying what you local garden centre has? I'm sure they'll do just fine. The blight seems to be over.
The blight is not "over", it was just less of a problem in some places. This new variety (hybrid not gmo) are bred to be resistant to the blight, so I expect few garden centres will continue to sell the old susceptible varieties.
Member
Oct 14, 2007
205 posts
50 upvotes
Mississauga
stansoltz wrote: I've waiting years for a genetically modified plant to be developed which is resitant to downy mildew... seems like this company finally bred something... anyone know a nursery in the GTA Toronto area that sells this variety?

https://www.syngentaflowers-us.com/camp ... -impatiens
I saw these today at Dufferin Garden Centre near Orangeville. Now if I can just find Bounce Impatiens - usually at Loblaws but none today.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2929 posts
1169 upvotes
The original Wallariana variety is virtually non-existent, and has been that way for at close to seven years now. It was not supplied by any major Ontario grower serving President's Choice (the largest seller of annuals in Ontario) or Canadian Tire, or the big box stores.

Monrovia brought out "Impatiens Interspecific" aka "bounce" which is a highly tolerant variety . It came onto market about four summers ago, with great success.

Any Impatiens you purchase nowadays will be a blight tolerant variety of the original Wallariana.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2009
910 posts
221 upvotes
Thanks but I see that bounce impatiens you mention are new Guinea or impatiens... I'm looking for the original variety or similar... wallerina which are smaller but would mound way faster... until downey mildew came along about 7 years ago.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2929 posts
1169 upvotes
stansoltz wrote: Thanks but I see that bounce impatiens you mention are new Guinea or impatiens... I'm looking for the original variety or similar... wallerina which are smaller but would mound way faster... until downey mildew came along about 7 years ago.
Bounce are not New Guinea impatiens. They are an inter species hybrid cross, but I don't think Monrovia is letting out exactly how they are bred. Their habit is much closer to the tried and true but mildew susceptible "Impatiens Walleriana", and they bear little relative resemblance to "Impatiens Hawkerii" (New Guinea). They look a lot more like Walleriana in terms of both leaf shape and flowers, only larger.

https://buffalo-niagaragardening.com/20 ... impatiens/

They are likely an interspecies cross between New Guinea and a hardy version of Wallariana.

If you want guaranteed results, with the look of Walleriana, use Bounce.

As mentioned, this is now the fifth (at least the fourth) Garden center season with Bounce, and they are the only Impatiens variety sold by Loblaws to replace Walleriana, meaning they are likely the best sold Impatiens in Canada now
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Member
Oct 14, 2007
205 posts
50 upvotes
Mississauga
fieldhousehandyman wrote: Bounce are not New Guinea impatiens. They are an inter species hybrid cross, but I don't think Monrovia is letting out exactly how they are bred. Their habit is much closer to the tried and true but mildew susceptible "Impatiens Walleriana", and they bear little relative resemblance to "Impatiens Hawkerii" (New Guinea). They look a lot more like Walleriana in terms of both leaf shape and flowers, only larger.

https://buffalo-niagaragardening.com/20 ... impatiens/

They are likely an interspecies cross between New Guinea and a hardy version of Wallariana.

If you want guaranteed results, with the look of Walleriana, use Bounce.

As mentioned, this is now the fifth (at least the fourth) Garden center season with Bounce, and they are the only Impatiens variety sold by Loblaws to replace Walleriana, meaning they are likely the best sold Impatiens in Canada now
Noticed Loblaws has regular impatiens back as does Costco. I bought a few but will plant in a separate planter instead of flower bed. Too afraid they will succumb to downy mildew to do an entire flower bed. Bounce are very much like regular impatiens with more flowers / smaller leaves than New Guinea type.

Top