Shopping Discussion

Importing car bumper from China to Vancouver via sea. What to expect?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2017 4:51 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2016
6 posts
11 upvotes

Importing car bumper from China to Vancouver via sea. What to expect?

Hi everyone,

I am trying to order a bumper for my car as it is considerably cheaper to come from China. The seller suggested to ship via sea to Port of Vancouver. Does anyone know the process for picking up personal items at the Port? I've looked online and cannot find any guidance.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7818 posts
1507 upvotes
Which carrier are they using? It comes down to the contracts the carriers have with each country, unless this guy has a friend who owns a boat, and would bring it to you. In that case, he would just contact you when he arrives. LOL

Shipping a bumper is no different from shipping any large item. They will use sea method, and most likely would be handled by Canada Post.
Jun 5, 2016
580 posts
716 upvotes
EPcjay wrote: Which carrier are they using? It comes down to the contracts the carriers have with each country, unless this guy has a friend who owns a boat, and would bring it to you. In that case, he would just contact you when he arrives. LOL

Shipping a bumper is no different from shipping any large item. They will use sea method, and most likely would be handled by Canada Post.
If he's talking about PoV it sounds like they want to ship it in a container... IMO not worth the hassle to save a few bucks if you're not familiar with the process.
Dec 25, 2014
79 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Car parts are different than importing something simple like painting canvas. You will need to get certification from the seller regarding DOT (or the Canadian equivalent) compliance. People tried to import engines and the CBSA turn those away because they do not have DOT and CARB certifications. It does not matter that it is a personal import. Just because you can buy a Integra Type R engine overseas does not mean you can bring it in. The assumption is that you will use it on a motor vehicle. Even if that engine is to be placed on a pedestal in your living room, you still need to produce compliance a the port of entry.
Jul 13, 2007
981 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
OP, Who's the seller? I'm curious about one-off overseas car parts.
crassus wrote: Car parts are different than importing something simple like painting canvas. You will need to get certification from the seller regarding DOT (or the Canadian equivalent) compliance. People tried to import engines and the CBSA turn those away because they do not have DOT and CARB certifications. It does not matter that it is a personal import. Just because you can buy a Integra Type R engine overseas does not mean you can bring it in. The assumption is that you will use it on a motor vehicle. Even if that engine is to be placed on a pedestal in your living room, you still need to produce compliance a the port of entry.
Just curious: Does this apply to all car parts?
I've ordered small parts from overseas before, but I'm curious to know what could get held up for this, and what can't.
Dec 25, 2014
79 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
The law is on the books, whether the CBSA in reality enforces the law is another matter. Most the time, if the item is small, it should not be a problem. For example, if you are importing a modern JDM headlight, the CBSA would let it through. The same with HID kits, spark plugs and light bulbs. The OP is asking about a bumper which is a safety device on a car. There are many regulations regarding passenger car bumpers (like 5mph impact standards) and it is very visible. One can say a HID kit is a computer hardware since it does run off 12V DC power. However, what else can the OP declares the bumper as? It is not dual use and it is not wall art.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3678 posts
2510 upvotes
GTA
crassus wrote: The OP is asking about a bumper which is a safety device on a car.
Maybe on your car. Mine is just plastic shell, not much different than my cereal bowl :-) Everything that has something to do with safety, is underneath bumper skirt.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3397 posts
2071 upvotes
Vancouver
crassus wrote: The law is on the books, whether the CBSA in reality enforces the law is another matter. Most the time, if the item is small, it should not be a problem. For example, if you are importing a modern JDM headlight, the CBSA would let it through. The same with HID kits, spark plugs and light bulbs. The OP is asking about a bumper which is a safety device on a car. There are many regulations regarding passenger car bumpers (like 5mph impact standards) and it is very visible. One can say a HID kit is a computer hardware since it does run off 12V DC power. However, what else can the OP declares the bumper as? It is not dual use and it is not wall art.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 1-eng.html
The MVSA does not regulate shipments of individual parts, with the exception of tires, child car seats and booster seats.

Why are you talking about engines and lights when OP talking about a bumper?