Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Importing from China (Alibaba) -- a few questions . . .

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 3:10 am
Tags:
None
Jun 27, 2010
457 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga
Went to clear CBSA and it was smooth sailing. prob spent an hour there, but prob will be 10min next time.
  • Agent told me to go use computer, to autofill the B3 form. The trick is if you are not sure what to type in, press F2 and the entry options will be listed.
  • One sticky point is figuring out the treatment code, i tried each one from the list until one was accepted. Better know it in advance - refer to https://www.omnitrans.com/resources/lib ... reatments/
  • And the HS code, look for the closest match - research it in advance.
  • Form printed, dedicated printer for this. PIcked it up and you have to take the barcode sticker and put one on each of the documents below and the B3 form
    "Long Room Copy" - from your local agent
    "Customs Delivery Authority" -from your local agent
    Commercial invoice - from seller
    Packing list of package contents - from seller
Update: What is outlined at beginning of this thread is still valid.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15195 posts
4861 upvotes
Here 'n There
I do my B3's online using the fillable pdf. Saves time at the office as I have all the fields pre-filled except the ones that change.
Apr 30, 2019
1 posts
Hello guys, I am new in the country. I import a lot from China to Nigeria. Now that I am here, I want to continue. I need help starting out. I will appreciate if anyone can out me through
Jun 8, 2019
73 posts
12 upvotes
GTA
VifferFun wrote: Hey Guys,

I've used Alibaba to connect with a Chinese factory (Guandong province) that's going to create a custom item for me that I will sell to a niche market here in North America. My initial order will be for about 100 units at about $25USD/unit FOB. I'm quite confident that I can easily sell the 100 items at about $75/unit here in North America, but if worse comes to worse, I could very quickly offload them at cost. Even in the worst-case scenario where I'm screwed out of my entire investment, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

So far, my contact and I have been emailing back and forth each day (and chatted one evening when I was up late), trying to iron out the details. So far, they seem VERY pleasant to deal with, and I'm amazed at the lengths they are going to in order to try and win my business (especially given that it's such a small order!). There's a chance that I might be ordering more units in the future if the project is successful, so perhaps they're banking on that. Once my design is finalized they will send me a custom sample for $100USD which will be deducted off the full 100-item order if placed.

Anyway, I have some questions for the importers of RFD:

1.) The seller's price is FOB. What is the most reliable and cost-effective means of getting my shipment from the port in China to my location here in Canada (near Toronto)? I will need someone to deal with customs in China, shipping by sea to Canada, customs in Canada, and then shipping by land from (presumably) British Columbia to Toronto. The shipment will be about 350kgs and 2.5 cubic meters.

2.) I understand that when I import goods, I will have to pay for HST (13%) as well as a duty. I have the eight-digit HS code for the product (39129090), so is there somewhere I can go to find the duty associated with that number?

3.) My father has a registered company in Ontario and I can use his company number when importing and selling the goods. Do I need to register his company to be eligible to import? If so, is this expensive?

4.) If I use my father's company (that has an HST number), do I simply collect HST when selling the items and then remit to the Gov't at tax time? Does this mean that I only have to remit the net HST (i.e. HST Collected - HST Paid when Importing)? Am I only able to collect HST from Canadians? What happens if I sell items to Americans where HST doesn't apply?

5.) Does anyone have any tips or things that I should be cautious about?

Thanks!
Be careful not to get sideswiped by the current trade dispute with China (answer to item 5). If possible have a relative in China visit this manufacturer in Guangdong (assuming you are Chinese of course).
Apr 26, 2007
619 posts
59 upvotes
sroghen wrote: Went to clear CBSA and it was smooth sailing. prob spent an hour there, but prob will be 10min next time.
  • Agent told me to go use computer, to autofill the B3 form. The trick is if you are not sure what to type in, press F2 and the entry options will be listed.
  • One sticky point is figuring out the treatment code, i tried each one from the list until one was accepted. Better know it in advance - refer to https://www.omnitrans.com/resources/lib ... reatments/
  • And the HS code, look for the closest match - research it in advance.
  • Form printed, dedicated printer for this. PIcked it up and you have to take the barcode sticker and put one on each of the documents below and the B3 form
    "Long Room Copy" - from your local agent
    "Customs Delivery Authority" -from your local agent
    Commercial invoice - from seller
    Packing list of package contents - from seller
Update: What is outlined at beginning of this thread is still valid.
If, based on the type of goods, the MFN tariff says Free and there is no preferential tariff that applies to the goods, is there any duty on the shipment then? Could there be any other duty?
Thank my post if it helped!
Aug 31, 2001
433 posts
21 upvotes
Hi i'm looking to import from Alibaba for personal use. Based on this, I do not believe I need a Business Number or Import Account Number. Is that true? Or will there be any issues held at customs.

I've asked to supplier to arrange the Freight and I believe it includes customs clearance on this side to arrive at the Port of Toronto - Although would it be the shipping agent warehouse, could it remain at the port or could it be somewhere else?

I have the HS code and I've checked the Tarriff schedule and the Tarriff entry is blank (not free but blank). Anybody knows what that means?