Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Importing commercial goods from China .... broker or self-clearance?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2016 6:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1332 posts
79 upvotes

Importing commercial goods from China .... broker or self-clearance?

I have some professional equipment I'm looking to import from China. One shipment of about $5,000 worth of stuff.

I've done a bit of research on the importing and customs clearance process, and I'd like to get some advice from someone who's done it before.

Basically I'm on a tight schedule and would like to:

1) have the items cleared and delivered (or released as soon as possible).

2) pay the least possible amount in brokerage fees and extra fees imposed (beyond taxes/duties).

I've considered UPS for brokerage. Would they be a good option or are there better brokers out there?

Can I do the self-clearance process myself and still have the items released fast? What do I need to do for that?

Thank you for your help!
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4899 upvotes
Here 'n There
yourmemory wrote: I have some professional equipment I'm looking to import from China. One shipment of about $5,000 worth of stuff.

I've done a bit of research on the importing and customs clearance process, and I'd like to get some advice from someone who's done it before.

Basically I'm on a tight schedule and would like to:

1) have the items cleared and delivered (or released as soon as possible).

2) pay the least possible amount in brokerage fees and extra fees imposed (beyond taxes/duties).

I've considered UPS for brokerage. Would they be a good option or are there better brokers out there?

Can I do the self-clearance process myself and still have the items released fast? What do I need to do for that?

Thank you for your help!
1) and 2) are not synonymous. I've done both. If you want to pay the least then do it yourself. If you want to have it cleared and delivered the quickest get a broker as doing it yourself easily adds a couple of days to the process if not more. Yes sometimes you might get lucky doing it yourself and find it won't take 2+ days more but that's not the general rule.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
1332 posts
79 upvotes
eonibm wrote: 1) and 2) are not synonymous. I've done both. If you want to pay the least then do it yourself. If you want to have it cleared and delivered the quickest get a broker as doing it yourself easily adds a couple of days to the process if not more. Yes sometimes you might get lucky doing it yourself and find it won't take 2+ days more but that's not the general rule.
Thanks for this. I may go the broker route then if it means the shipment release will be done faster... in that case, can you recommend a broker? Is UPS pricier than others?
May 29, 2012
511 posts
177 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ups would cost more i think than a regular broker.
My only advice is shop around, call a lot of brokers, pricing is all over the place.
Oct 24, 2013
517 posts
122 upvotes
Ontario
Many brokers are still hurt from the recent import increase in the US from 200 to 800,so you should be able to get a good deal from the 3rd party brokerage. Ups doesnt care.

Ups was the most expensive broker i asked for pricing.