[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5118 posts
574 upvotes
in a plane

Importing a JDM car - question on DRLs

Hi all,

Importing a Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear into BC, and am a little bit confused as to the DRL requirements in BC. Obviously the "common" thing to do is to buy the $50 DRL module in Canadian Tire and have it installed for $150 or so, but I'm trying to see if I can do it cheaper. Does anyone know the actual requirements for DRLs? Does it have to be the headlamps, or can it be the fog lights? Or better yet, can I get some LED bars and tape them onto the bumper? LEDs are easier to wire in than redoing the headlight circuits...

Thanks for any help!
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35250 posts
21227 upvotes
Center of Universe
Has to be on automatically and cannot be turned off.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4025 posts
4157 upvotes
GTA
Just be happy it's only $200 to add DRL, and that they're ignoring the part that you need headlights that are aimed for LHD roads. Which don't exist for the Delica. I just love when RHD cars shine their headlights into oncoming traffic...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5118 posts
574 upvotes
in a plane
vkizzle wrote: Has to be on automatically and cannot be turned off.
No, I get that, that wasn’t the question though - the question is whether it must be the low beam bulbs, can it be fogs, or can it be literally ANY light.
derass wrote: Just be happy it's only $200 to add DRL, and that they're ignoring the part that you need headlights that are aimed for LHD roads. Which don't exist for the Delica. I just love when RHD cars shine their headlights into oncoming traffic...
Yup. Agree, which is why I spent weeks looking for hens teeth — err — I mean LHD headlights for the Delica. They DO exist, they’re IMPOSSIBLE to find, but I got them - and not for $500 per side like the egregious Vancouver area importers charge, but for a much more reasonable $50 per side - shipped. So I won’t be one of those people you mention. :)
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35250 posts
21227 upvotes
Center of Universe
Pseudo Nim wrote: No, I get that, that wasn’t the question though - the question is whether it must be the low beam bulbs, can it be fogs, or can it be literally ANY light.

Yup. Agree, which is why I spent weeks looking for hens teeth — err — I mean LHD headlights for the Delica. They DO exist, they’re IMPOSSIBLE to find, but I got them - and not for $500 per side like the egregious Vancouver area importers charge, but for a much more reasonable $50 per side - shipped. So I won’t be one of those people you mention. :)
Yes, it can be fogs.
There are many makes and models in Canada that uses fogs as DRL from the factory.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3198 posts
1968 upvotes
Montreal
Do they have to be one of the OEM lights or would two small LED bars attached to front and wired to one of the ignition switched fuse work?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
Pseudo Nim wrote: Hi all,

Importing a Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear into BC, and am a little bit confused as to the DRL requirements in BC. Obviously the "common" thing to do is to buy the $50 DRL module in Canadian Tire and have it installed for $150 or so, but I'm trying to see if I can do it cheaper. Does anyone know the actual requirements for DRLs? Does it have to be the headlamps, or can it be the fog lights? Or better yet, can I get some LED bars and tape them onto the bumper? LEDs are easier to wire in than redoing the headlight circuits...

Thanks for any help!
DRL`s work off of the high beam side of your headlight bulb. Just pay Canadian Tire and be done with it. You dont want to cheap out and get pulled over by a bored cop because your DRH`s aren't correct.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35250 posts
21227 upvotes
Center of Universe
jzmtl wrote: Do they have to be one of the OEM lights or would two small LED bars attached to front and wired to one of the ignition switched fuse work?
LED accent lighting are also becoming common as DRLs on modern vehicles... should be good.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5978 posts
2071 upvotes
Ottawa
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe JDM imports have to be 15+ years old and as such they are not subject to RIV rules and I do not believe you have to add DRL (although I would really recommend them).

FWIW, I've imported newer cars from the US and wired the fogs to be DRLs and had no issues. The TC rules on DRLs are super vague and I suspect you won't find a mechanic that knows them anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5978 posts
2071 upvotes
Ottawa
jzmtl wrote: Do they have to be one of the OEM lights or would two small LED bars attached to front and wired to one of the ignition switched fuse work?
I've done this on a US import and it passed the RIV inspection and Ontario Safety (I'm not sure if it's actually part of an Ontario Safety but I remember the mechanic saying the DRLs passed)