• Feb 23rd, 2021 3:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 4, 2004
424 posts
75 upvotes
Richmond

Importing a tesla

Hi guys, has anyone here imported a tesla?

I'm not inquiring for better deals are whatever, just need to find out logistics of moving back to Canada from the USA next year.

I emailed tesla, and they don't seem to really provide much detail on any work needed to legalized the model y for Canada. 10 years ago I imported a car from the USA... Was easy. Just needed to retrofit drls and get it tested at Canadian Tire.

Any opinions would be great. Would kind of be annoying if I had to sell the car and buy a new one (as opposed to road tripping it back)
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1164 posts
1393 upvotes
Barrie, ON
RIV.ca is going to be your best bet.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28384 posts
8826 upvotes
gti303 wrote: Hi guys, has anyone here imported a tesla?

I'm not inquiring for better deals are whatever, just need to find out logistics of moving back to Canada from the USA next year.

I emailed tesla, and they don't seem to really provide much detail on any work needed to legalized the model y for Canada. 10 years ago I imported a car from the USA... Was easy. Just needed to retrofit drls and get it tested at Canadian Tire.

Any opinions would be great. Would kind of be annoying if I had to sell the car and buy a new one (as opposed to road tripping it back)
If you did it before yourself then you probably already know more than most on here about this process and whether or not it's worth it...

As a side note I'd imagine Tesla will do stupid shit like void your warranty and disable supercharging, etc....some stuff along those lines as is par for the course with those losers. Beware.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5986 posts
2081 upvotes
Ottawa
mxthor3 wrote: RIV.ca is going to be your best bet.
RIV doesn't give you any give you any specifics.

For Tesla it simply says:

Model 3 (no notes), Model S (see notes) and Roadster (except for late VINs) are admissible and in the notes is says "
[EIS] The manufacturer confirmed Model S vehicles of 2019 and prior model year will require service to the electronic immobilization system. Read paragraph #9 of the "EXPLANATIONS" section for information on EIS.

Note-1: Please contact the manufacturer prior to importation to determine the exact nature and cost of modifications required."

and for the SUVs

Model X and Model Y are admissible but the notes say "Note: Please contact the manufacturer prior to importation to determine the exact nature and cost of modifications required."

I asked the Ottawa Service Center about importing a used US Model S and I was told that the EIS service to comply to Canadian requirements is about $100.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5986 posts
2081 upvotes
Ottawa
ES_Revenge wrote: If you did it before yourself then you probably already know more than most on here about this process and whether or not it's worth it...

As a side note I'd imagine Tesla will do stupid shit like void your warranty and disable supercharging, etc....some stuff along those lines as is par for the course with those losers. Beware.
From what I've read. it appears they don't do anything and the car retains everything it had including SC and warranty. When the Model S was introduced, it was actually admissible on the RIV list and then became inadmissible for some reason (RIV really doesn't give any information) and remained inadmissible for several years (until 2017 I believe) until someone managed to get Elon Musk's attention in a Tweet asking why he couldn't import his US Model S to Canada to which Musk replied that if there is no regulation preventing it, there's no reason Tesla wouldn't allow it and within a few months, the Model S was admissible again. The Model 3 has always been admissible.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3441 posts
868 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: If you did it before yourself then you probably already know more than most on here about this process and whether or not it's worth it...

Owners who live in by border can get their Teslas serviced under warranty across the border no problem (if it's closer to them), owners do this all the time. As for disabling Supercharging, this applies to salvaged vehicles only (or if the software was modded by IngenNext or some other company). The Model Y was released early 2020, Tesla generally only voids warranty if it has unauthorized mods (IngenNext) or pull stunts like this: https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/01/tes ... ty-denial/
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4114 posts
1609 upvotes
Many years ago, I imported a motorcycle from the USA to the GTA.

It was a way to learn the process. I considered doing it with cars.

But... It is too much wasted time and effort, and it is good if you do it in volume (once that you learn, you keep doing it, many cars). Or to get a car or bike that doesn't sell here (something unique). Other than that, you need to wait until the currency exchange is favorable (you import a really good deal).

Other than that, it is not really worth it. You may break even (which means it would be simpler to buy something locally).

In your case, the currency exchange may work in your favour. You already have the car, you bring it here, and maybe it is worth more.

You need to make the numbers.

good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5986 posts
2081 upvotes
Ottawa
motomondo wrote: Many years ago, I imported a motorcycle from the USA to the GTA.

It was a way to learn the process. I considered doing it with cars.

But... It is too much wasted time and effort, and it is good if you do it in volume (once that you learn, you keep doing it, many cars). Or to get a car or bike that doesn't sell here (something unique). Other than that, you need to wait until the currency exchange is favorable (you import a really good deal).

Other than that, it is not really worth it. You may break even (which means it would be simpler to buy something locally).

In your case, the currency exchange may work in your favour. You already have the car, you bring it here, and maybe it is worth more.

You need to make the numbers.

good luck!
I think you really can't generalize like that. Since 2007, I've imported at least 7 cars, 5 mhs, one trailer and a boat. I basically used them for a while and sold all of them for around what I paid or more. Obviously you have to consider all costs include exchange, transport, modifications, etc but IMHO, you can certainly save a significant amount by purchasing in the US but obviously you have to look at it on a case by case basis.

In any case, I think this thread should focus on importing Teslas - for general vehicle importing questions, there's a huge thread in Hot Deals forum.
wow-new-used-cars-us-up-30-cheaper-read-post-1-307601/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7434 posts
5457 upvotes
Kitchener
Model Y will most likely be identical to import as the Model 3 since it's basically the same vehicle except taller.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2004
424 posts
75 upvotes
Richmond
Thanks Michaelb. Exactly what I read. For others, clarification that we would actually be living for a year and a half in California for education purposes where we need to have a car, hence my question. Thanks everyone. If I carry through I'll update this thread later.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7434 posts
5457 upvotes
Kitchener
I imported a used BMW i3 from the USA (would be similar to importing a Model Y). No restrictions, just pay $295 for the RIV package and around $40USD for an ITN #. Had to pay GST at the border and PST when getting plates for it here.