• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2020 1:24 pm
[OP]
Oct 31, 2002
38 posts
20 upvotes
Oakville, ON

Impossible to get pickup or delivery timeslots on groceries

Anyone else finding it extremely challenging to do any kind of online grocery shopping?

I'm in southern Ontario and can't get any kind of window for grocery pickup/delivery from any of the major retailers: Fortinos, Superstore, Longos, Metro, Walmart, etc.

Crazy times. I know the retailers are doing the best they can, but you'd think they'd focus more resources on expanding grocery pickup/delivery and limiting the amount of people physically in the store.
240 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3027 posts
2004 upvotes
Canadia
Stinky wrote: Anyone else finding it extremely challenging to do any kind of online grocery shopping?

I'm in southern Ontario and can't get any kind of window for grocery pickup/delivery from any of the major retailers: Fortinos, Superstore, Longos, Metro, Walmart, etc.

Crazy times. I know the retailers are doing the best they can, but you'd think they'd focus more resources on expanding grocery pickup/delivery and limiting the amount of people physically in the store.
Our local grocery stores (near Calgary) are booked about a week in advance for pickup. They are asking healthy people not to order for pickup to ensure that seniors and those with compromised health have an opportunity to buy.

I'm not sure if Instacart is available in your area, but it's worth investigating.
Dec 10, 2006
69 posts
9 upvotes
Thornhill
Yes, same here. Everything is booked.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17666 posts
5591 upvotes
Toronto
Just goes to show you how bad the systems are here and not prepared for large scale business.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
13497 posts
25713 upvotes
Scarborough
Last Instacart order I placed I had to wait 2 days for. Walmart delivery was booking 2 weeks ahead.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Mar 22, 2020
125 posts
76 upvotes
Both myself and my husband are ‘at risk’ so we are using pick up. I have scheduled 2 orders so far. Have to book about a week and a half out. I am scheduling every two weeks to not hog the spots.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12519 posts
9743 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
The bigger the city, the worse it is no doubt
Even here in less busy Eastern Ontario it can be over a week to schedule

As seniors at risk, my strategy has been the same as @Canoes4Fun just stock up on a few fresh items every 2 weeks, plus anything we may be running low on (going into all this we had a full pantry & freezer)

And like @TomRFD our back up plan is private delivery like InstaCart
It ain’t FREE like Click & Collect is ... but it is same day in most cases, and more stores can be accessed
Figure it’s worth it, if it means keeping us safely isolated at home
Jun 2, 2012
308 posts
289 upvotes
NORTH YORK
My superstore has no slots available at all through the pc express app. So I can’t select anything even into the future.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12519 posts
9743 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gemenichic wrote: My superstore has no slots available at all through the pc express app. So I can’t select anything even into the future.
Their calendars only run 2 weeks in advance
(So today thru April 7th)
If you want to book April 8th ... you gotta figure when it will come on line

That’s the key to grabbing a Spot I would think in the busiest locations
Stores are closing at 8 PM
So start checking around then to see when the calendar adds a day
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19409 posts
2503 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I'm honestly wondering if stores have allocated any additional staff to online orders at all or perhaps there just isn't a place for storage for cold items. It's too bad, would be a great service for our current situation.
Mar 22, 2020
125 posts
76 upvotes
MaxPower19 wrote: Do any of the big stores allow you to modify an online order after you submit/reserve a time slot?
It depends on the store. My local store I can change it up to the night before. At the store I need to book an order for near my parents house you can’t change it once it is submitted.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4888 posts
2233 upvotes
Mississauga
Evil Baby wrote: I'm honestly wondering if stores have allocated any additional staff to online orders at all or perhaps there just isn't a place for storage for cold items. It's too bad, would be a great service for our current situation.
I was at Loblaws this morning and there seemed like hordes of pick-and-pay people running around the store with their special carts filling orders. So it seems like this location has a lot more staff allocated to this service right now.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12519 posts
9743 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
mrweather wrote: I was at Loblaws this morning and there seemed like hordes of pick-and-pay people running around the store with their special carts filling orders. So it seems like this location has a lot more staff allocated to this service right now.
Have heard from someone inside the Grocery Store Biz (Mgmt)
That keeping going is literally an around the clock 24/7 job
Scheduling employees
Scheduling deliveries
Stocking the shelves
DEEP Cleaning & Disinfecting the store
And just processing the 1000s of Customers
Many who are choosing Online Ordering

STORES ARE HIRING ... they need people in all roles
Around the clock

They are so desperate that you’ll often be hired right on the spot
And told your first shift starts ... same day / next day
Jun 21, 2016
277 posts
84 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: I'm honestly wondering if stores have allocated any additional staff to online orders at all or perhaps there just isn't a place for storage for cold items. It's too bad, would be a great service for our current situation.
Out in BC its all hands on deck at the grocery stores and most are hiring but the demand is just too high for them to keep up. I have given up on online ordering, too few slots available and not worth it with the current waits.
Jan 23, 2012
415 posts
110 upvotes
Aurora, ON
No slots available.
We have no gloves,no masks, and no hand sanitizers, to go physically to the store.
Are there any alternative apps, stores or whatever that do delivery to the porch ?
York region- newmarket/Aurora

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)