• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2020 10:30 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2012
120 posts
27 upvotes
OTTAWA

Improving Bell wifi speed

Currently have Bell wifi with the home hub 3000. We have the max package we can get in our area which is 25/10 mbps ......the true Fibe internet is not available in our neighbourhood.
Options like rogers are not easy right now as techs can’t enter the house and we would need that for rogers ignite because we have nowhere to connect to Rogers in our house right now.
Sooo.... while we get decent wifi connections throughout the house, we struggle with speed, especially upload. While our package is “up to 10mbps” we can rarely get more than 1.
If I get the wifi pods will that help the speed? Or if we already have decent connections in various rooms in the house, the pods won’t improve the speed?
If I do a speed test standing right next to the modem, is that about the same as what I would get in a room with a pod?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35798 posts
9141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Pods will give you better coverage, not necessarily better speed. In fact it is usually the opposite and speeds are generally worse

What speed are you getting when standing next to the Home Hub 3000?
[OP]
Jul 31, 2012
120 posts
27 upvotes
OTTAWA
Gee wrote: Pods will give you better coverage, not necessarily better speed. In fact it is usually the opposite and speeds are generally worse

What speed are you getting when standing next to the Home Hub 3000?
I get about 21 download and 1.5 upload (sometimes it is .94). I don’t understand why the upload never gets anywhere near what is available on my plan.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1037 posts
349 upvotes
Pickering
Better question is what speed do you get when wired to the HH.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5037 posts
3233 upvotes
stormy13 wrote: Better question is what speed do you get when wired to the HH.
networking is like a chain. Find the weakest link.

If wired speed is still slow, complain to Bell as that's far from the "up to 10Mbps".
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35798 posts
9141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
That may not be possible if he is checking with a mobile device (cell phone, iPad).

But I agree, find a computer and check your wired speeds.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6015 posts
2737 upvotes
Durham
MoB654 wrote: Currently have Bell wifi with the home hub 3000. We have the max package we can get in our area which is 25/10 mbps ......the true Fibe internet is not available in our neighbourhood.
Options like rogers are not easy right now as techs can’t enter the house and we would need that for rogers ignite because we have nowhere to connect to Rogers in our house right now.
Sooo.... while we get decent wifi connections throughout the house, we struggle with speed, especially upload. While our package is “up to 10mbps” we can rarely get more than 1.
If I get the wifi pods will that help the speed? Or if we already have decent connections in various rooms in the house, the pods won’t improve the speed?
If I do a speed test standing right next to the modem, is that about the same as what I would get in a room with a pod?
If your package is 25/10 Mbps .. that means your max speed is ONLY 25Mpbs download and 10Mbps upload. Therefore ... you will not get anything faster than that even if you put it on NOS.

That maximum speed of 25Mbps download (10Mbps upload) is only achieved if you are WIRED via CAT. Wireless will NOT ever get that speed.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Jul 31, 2012
120 posts
27 upvotes
OTTAWA
about the same.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2012
120 posts
27 upvotes
OTTAWA
I realize we won't get more than the package we have...but our upload speed is so pathetic...1.5 at most. I did an online chat with a Bell rep and he said we should get at least 50% of what we have subscribed to, at this point I'd be happy if we reached 5 upload speed, but we don't. Bell sent a technician out today and he says we are too far from the box where the fibre cable is to get any additional speed. So Bell is happy to sell me a package of "up to" 10mbps when they know I can only get a fraction of that. The online chat dude was able to improve the system to enable me to get 2.5mbps up, but the tech today said our system was set too high and since left we can only get 1.5 again.
I hardwired to the modem today and the speeds were no better.

If only rogers would let their techs into the house we could switch. because we have no rogers connection at all, we need a tech to run some cable in the house before we can use that. A family member has rogers with 150mbps and a speed test at their house showed 194 down and 16 up.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1320 posts
954 upvotes
Québec
MoB654 wrote: I realize we won't get more than the package we have...but our upload speed is so pathetic...1.5 at most. I did an online chat with a Bell rep and he said we should get at least 50% of what we have subscribed to, at this point I'd be happy if we reached 5 upload speed, but we don't. Bell sent a technician out today and he says we are too far from the box where the fibre cable is to get any additional speed. So Bell is happy to sell me a package of "up to" 10mbps when they know I can only get a fraction of that. The online chat dude was able to improve the system to enable me to get 2.5mbps up, but the tech today said our system was set too high and since left we can only get 1.5 again.
I hardwired to the modem today and the speeds were no better.

If only rogers would let their techs into the house we could switch. because we have no rogers connection at all, we need a tech to run some cable in the house before we can use that. A family member has rogers with 150mbps and a speed test at their house showed 194 down and 16 up.
What the tech told you is true. Their uppload channel are lower in frequencyouries that than their download. The signal is less stable and they will downgrade the modulation profil to get a more robust signal. That why you have you full download speed and not your upload. I had the same issue and force them to replace the old copper wire outside and tnow it's fine.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4316 posts
1409 upvotes
Brampton
Do you have 2 incoming copper lines to the back of the 3000?
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2012
120 posts
27 upvotes
OTTAWA
prod wrote: Do you have 2 incoming copper lines to the back of the 3000?
If you are referring to 2 standard phone cables,yes. When we “upgraded”to this service in March the technician ran a new phone wire to the room and installed a new jack and 2 cables a plugged into the back of the modem.

With 2 of us working from home with more and more video meetings, we are feeling the pain with the upload speeds.
Apr 12, 2008
639 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
With 25/10 being the best they can deliver to your neighborhood it seems your area is difficult for them to properly serve. I realize the contractual wording is "up to" however 1.5 up - aka 15% of the max - is unacceptable, particularly so at full price. I realize you just want the 10 up, but man, if they had a conscience they'd at least offer a discount.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2012
120 posts
27 upvotes
OTTAWA
Agreed.
I know it takes time to build up the fibre optic network but good grief I live less than 10kms from downtown Ottawa and can’t get any better service.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)