674 upvotes
London, ON

[Dollarama] Incipio CommandKit Smart Power Bar (Apple HomeKit) $4

Price:
$4
Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
Found these in london Ontario. There was only 5 and the box was huge. Some bad reviews on Amazon, but seems to sell for $99 at Lowe’s - this could be another item though.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Incipio-4-Outl ... 1000341937

Picture attached, Hapoy Hunting! At worse it’s a nice looking power bar for $4 Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Images
  • A122B8A8-F623-4E40-A4D2-28E313F25C0B.jpeg
  • image.jpg
657 replies
[OP]
Nov 8, 2012
772 posts
674 upvotes
London, ON
djrarebreed wrote: I need 2. I live in Brampton are u willing to buy for me and I’ll pay u for shipping etc
I Bought 3 but it’s likely the other will sell. I’ll check at other stores to see if I can find more. They should be nationwide though, this particular store wasn’t big so I’m hoping all stores got a shipment
Mar 18, 2017
34 posts
35 upvotes
stilltippin wrote: I Bought 3 but it’s likely the other will sell. I’ll check at other stores to see if I can find more. They should be nationwide though, this particular store wasn’t big so I’m hoping all stores got a shipment
Ok thanks. Those will work good for my Christmas tree in HomeKit
Dec 24, 2017
74 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto West locations (King and Portland and Parkdale) appear not to have :(

If anyone in Toronto or Vaughan find these please pm me (than post it on here an hour later lol)
Oct 18, 2017
289 posts
517 upvotes
New Brunswick
Perhaps more research should be done on these as well. Looking at their app (Incipio CommandKit) on the Apple App Store, the description says: "*Note: compatible with iOS 11.0.x and earlier. Future iOS releases are not supported."

Are these still Homekit capable without the standalone app and is there any fear of them fully losing support?

Perhaps these can be flashed?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1341 posts
3006 upvotes
EthanMcL wrote: Perhaps more research should be done on these as well. Looking at their app (Incipio CommandKit) on the Apple App Store, the description says: "*Note: compatible with iOS 11.0.x and earlier. Future iOS releases are not supported."

Are these still Homekit capable without the standalone app and is there any fear of them fully losing support?

Yikes. Thanks for saving me $4.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1960 posts
483 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks saved me a trip and time searching for them. Such a shame.
EthanMcL wrote: Perhaps more research should be done on these as well. Looking at their app (Incipio CommandKit) on the Apple App Store, the description says: "*Note: compatible with iOS 11.0.x and earlier. Future iOS releases are not supported."

Penalty Box
Jun 19, 2019
1039 posts
1285 upvotes
LOL@ Your Angry Inch…
Saw the wall switches today. Grabbed some but no Power Strips yet.

Bad Reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Incipio-COMMANDK ... merReviews
https://www.amazon.com/Incipio-CommandK ... merReviews

[removed]
IMG_20191030_010231.jpg
Smart Power Strip $4.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/dollaram ... #p31622562
Last edited by Mars2012 on Oct 30th, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed bst request
U still have to pay for goods/services U agreed to — even if U did so only unconsciously.
A Visa Canada survey of web shoppers, 1 in 4 said they read all the online text. 50% skimmed it & 27% Read Nothing at all before accepting a tainted offer.
Oct 27, 2017
778 posts
631 upvotes
App installs in 12.4. But let’s see if I can find one to pair tomorrow
Jan 5, 2016
388 posts
250 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
cursayer wrote: Yikes. Thanks for saving me $4.
$4 for a power bar without wifi crap? Yeah take my money
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
1509 posts
1090 upvotes
St Catharines
For anyone who has found these, were they stocked in the electronics section (with phone cases, etc), or with the extension cords?
Nov 10, 2012
34 posts
17 upvotes
Brockville
I would buy the power strip, but there's no way I'm installing a $4 smart switch from Dollarama into my wall.
Sep 22, 2018
148 posts
85 upvotes
Ajax
DasBub wrote: I would buy the power strip, but there's no way I'm installing a $4 smart switch from Dollarama into my wall.
And if the same switch was for $40-400 would you install? High price doesn’t mean high quality alway.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2012
772 posts
674 upvotes
London, ON
daddyho24 wrote: For anyone who has found these, were they stocked in the electronics section (with phone cases, etc), or with the extension cords?
Electronics in my case.
Oct 26, 2012
938 posts
1357 upvotes

You don't need the app installed to do basic HomeKit stuff on there, that's the beauty of Homekit. I've added my Nanoleaf smart lights without installing the app before, the box will come with a Homekit code. Actually everything the app does you can do natively in Homekit, the app is just an outdated mirror of Homekit. Looking at the app it does 2 primary things: Automation and individual outlet control.

The automation in the app has the same functionality found natively in HomeKit. The app only supports automation on/off based on time and based on when you arrive/leave a location which like I said can be done in the Automation tab of Homekit, and actually on iOS 13 you can do even more with the Shortcuts app.

Regarding the control of individual outlets, Homekit will prompt you to customize each plug with a name and icon and you'll be able to control the individual plug (and tying in the previous point you can then run automations on that specific plug). I haven't tried it but here's how it works on a similar product:
... but given that the product supports HomeKit, that’s not necessary. All you have to do is head into the Home app, choose the “+” in the upper-right corner, select “Add Accessory” and add the device using its HomeKit or tag.

From there, you’ll have the opportunity to set up each of the three outlets on the power strip. You can customize each one with a name and plug type. For instance, one of the plugs on the strip I’m dedicating to a fan so I can choose the “Fan” type in HomeKit. Another is a floor lamp, so I choose the “Light” type. The third is a “dumb” light strip I picked up from Amazon for testing, so I choose the “Light” option here as well.

From there, I had three brand new accessories in the Home app.
Source

The fact that the product is another brand is irrelevant as Apple's Homekit APIs are limited so products all implement it the same way. That's why companies release good companion apps to allow more functionality directly through the app (unlike Incipio's garbage app). So lack of support is irrelevant, except if Apple decides to deprecate some Homekit APIs, and even then, deprecating doesn't mean it stops working but that there's going to come a time in the future where the deprecated feature possibly gets taken out. I don't foresee that happening anytime soon so at $4 this is great.