[Dollarama] Incipio CommandKit Smart Power Bar (Apple HomeKit) $4

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2020 12:35 am
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2710 posts
2726 upvotes
Vancouver
SammyDavis wrote: does anyone know if you can use these switches in a 3 way with one regular dimmer switch and 1 incipio or do you have to use 2 incipios?
cheystar wrote: Need to use two sadly.
Actually it's possible, but there's an operational issue. The Incipio dimmer works fine by manual or remote WiFi control replacing one of the 3-way switches as long as you leave the other regular dimmer switch on and set to full. If you turn the regular dimmer off, you will disable the Incipio switch. The power to the Incipio switch in this configuration is fed through the other switch. If you reduce the setting on the regular dimmer, you will cause problems and quirky operation for the Incipio switch, depending on what type of regular dimmer you have.

An analog dimmer reduces the voltage with a rheostat (variable resistor) as you turn it down. That works fine for incandescent light bulbs. Florescent and LED bulbs don't like reduced voltage, but modern dimmer-compatible LED bulbs have been made to adapt. Needless to say the Incipio switch won't like reduced voltage.

Electronic dimmers reduce the brightness by pulse modulation - that is, they pulse 110v on and off with a duty cycle that results in the desired average voltage at a frequency higher than the human eye can detect. That plays havoc with electronic devices, including LED bulbs. But again, modern dimmer-compatible LED bulbs have been made to adapt by smoothing out the input voltage pulses. But still, weird and quirky behaviour can occur. And again the Incipio switch certainly won't like it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
5695 posts
4455 upvotes
Calgary
Scote64 wrote: Actually it's possible, but there's an operational issue. The Incipio dimmer works fine by manual or remote WiFi control replacing one of the 3-way switches as long as you leave the other regular dimmer switch on and set to full. If you turn the regular dimmer off, you will disable the Incipio switch. The power to the Incipio switch in this configuration is fed through the other switch. If you reduce the setting on the regular dimmer, you will cause problems and quirky operation for the Incipio switch, depending on what type of regular dimmer you have.

An analog dimmer reduces the voltage with a rheostat (variable resistor) as you turn it down. That works fine for incandescent light bulbs. Florescent and LED bulbs don't like reduced voltage, but modern dimmer-compatible LED bulbs have been made to adapt. Needless to say the Incipio switch won't like reduced voltage.

Electronic dimmers reduce the brightness by pulse modulation - that is, they pulse 110v on and off with a duty cycle that results in the desired average voltage at a frequency higher than the human eye can detect. That plays havoc with electronic devices, including LED bulbs. But again, modern dimmer-compatible LED bulbs have been made to adapt by smoothing out the input voltage pulses. But still, weird and quirky behaviour can occur. And again the Incipio switch certainly won't like it.
Thanks . I have 2 switches so I guess it sounds best to use both in one 3 way circuit.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2710 posts
2726 upvotes
Vancouver
SammyDavis wrote: Thanks . I have 2 switches so I guess it sounds best to use both in one 3 way circuit.
That's a bit of a waste of a dimmer switch, but hey, when they're only $4...

The other common solution is that you replace the other 3-way switch with a WiFi-only button that doesn't do any circuit switching, it just signals your home automation controller/service that you want to turn the light off, which in turn operates the WiFi dimmer. The buttons are cheaper than a WiFi dimmer switch (except of course when it's $4 from Dollarama...)
Oct 24, 2006
120 posts
159 upvotes
Regina
Anyone still finding these incipio switches still in stores or are they long gone?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2395 posts
489 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: So turning off the PIR sensor in HomeKit works to prevent intermittent lights-on for no reason, but I see that it forgets the setting when there is a power failure. The only way I can see to restore the setting is the time-consuming process of hard reset to remove from Home Assistant control, set it up again in HomeKit, turn the sensor control off again, delete from HomeKit, resume HA control. Too bad HomeKit won't allow simultaneous control by two different controllers.
In regards to the power failure or reboot of the router issue, I got away from this be setting up the devices to STATIC IP. I used to have these type of problem until I set them to static. I haven't had any problem since.

edit: I would strongly suggest to setup any headless device to be static.
King of the farm
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2710 posts
2726 upvotes
Vancouver
Rooster wrote: In regards to the power failure or reboot of the router issue, I got away from this be setting up the devices to STATIC IP. I used to have these type of problem until I set them to static. I haven't had any problem since.
My Incipio wall switch does remember its WiFi connection after a power failure, and reconnects to the router just fine. I have no idea why it forgets the other settings. Are you saying that having a static IP address somehow prevents it from forgetting the current PIR on/off setting after a power failure?
Dec 7, 2016
77 posts
60 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: My Incipio wall switch does remember its WiFi connection after a power failure, and reconnects to the router just fine. I have no idea why it forgets the other settings. Are you saying that having a static IP address somehow prevents it from forgetting the current PIR on/off setting after a power failure?
Same issue here, the PIR sensor defaults to on after a power outage. You can test this by pressing that little sliver of a button on the switch that disconnects the power. I have no way around it. For you people without the iOS app, that sounds like a pain in the ass to reset it with Home Assistant.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2710 posts
2726 upvotes
Vancouver
realazy wrote: For you people without the iOS app, that sounds like a pain in the ass to reset it with Home Assistant.
Can't do it. Home Assistant sees the PIR sensor as a separate binary sensor, but there are no accessible settings. To disable the PIR sensor control of the light again after a power failure, you have to reset the switch (long press on the On button), use an iOS device to do the HomeKit setup again from scratch, turn the PIR sensor off, Delete the switch from Homekit, then re-add it to Home Assistant. It's a least a 5-minute process. Most other non-Homekit devices that have settings only available in their app allow control from either the app or Home Assistant at the same time, but HomeKit devices can only have one registered controller at a time. Better security, less convenience.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2395 posts
489 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: My Incipio wall switch does remember its WiFi connection after a power failure, and reconnects to the router just fine. I have no idea why it forgets the other settings. Are you saying that having a static IP address somehow prevents it from forgetting the current PIR on/off setting after a power failure?
Interesting, I never had this problem. All my switches are set to static and internet blocked. I have not yet experienced what you have.
King of the farm
Mar 26, 2013
37 posts
22 upvotes
NANAIMO
snagged all 3 off the shelf, seems to work well enough, cheers!
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1099 posts
300 upvotes
MARKHAM
HuoShing wrote: snagged all 3 off the shelf, seems to work well enough, cheers!
which store?! still has stock of these even?!
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2483 posts
1173 upvotes
B.C.
HuoShing wrote: snagged all 3 off the shelf, seems to work well enough, cheers!
Oh man those have probably been sitting there since November when I bought 4 of them!
Mar 6, 2005
509 posts
149 upvotes
Rooster wrote: In regards to the power failure or reboot of the router issue, I got away from this be setting up the devices to STATIC IP. I used to have these type of problem until I set them to static. I haven't had any problem since.

edit: I would strongly suggest to setup any headless device to be static.
Unless I am not understanding correctly, PIR sensor settings on the incipio swtich have no impact to the IP address it is on.
Having static IP is convenient, but it will not help the incipio switch remember any PIR settings after power failure. Besides, incipio switch DO remember network connection settings, there are no issues there.