Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6592 posts
2268 upvotes
Vancouver

Income to qualify for CERB

Asking for an elder person ago who asked me and as I don't know the answer I hope someone here can help. His English is very bad so he can't call any official #s

This person received $1500 gross in September as self employment income and he already received CERB as well for the month of September.
1500 includes 13% tax he collected and he has to give back to the government.
As this elder person sells something on Etsy - that's his small business, his costs of running his business( materials, memberships, etc) were $400.
So, his gross profit is under $900 qualifying him. He is worried however because he took the payment of $1500 and afraid government can argue that and claw back the $2000.
I gave him my opinion which is not to worry and keep the track of expenses, but If anyone has more knowledge, please post it up and I will let him know.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4783 posts
2772 upvotes
dazz wrote: Asking for an elder person ago who asked me and as I don't know the answer I hope someone here can help. His English is very bad so he can't call any official #s

This person received $1500 gross in September as self employment income and he already received CERB as well for the month of September.
1500 includes 13% tax he collected and he has to give back to the government.
As this elder person sells something on Etsy - that's his small business, his costs of running his business( materials, memberships, etc) were $400.
So, his gross profit is under $900 qualifying him. He is worried however because he took the payment of $1500 and afraid government can argue that and claw back the $2000.
I gave him my opinion which is not to worry and keep the track of expenses, but If anyone has more knowledge, please post it up and I will let him know.
It is taxable income that counts on his tax return. So yes, he should qualify.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1209 posts
675 upvotes
Ripley
CERB is for people who stopped working because of COVID. Did he have a job that stopped or was reduced? If he has been doing the same thing (selling things on Etsy) the whole time and hasn't seen a reduction in sales then he shouldn't have applied.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... apply.html