Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 13, 2013
42 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill | Whit…

Income tax claim question (student)

Hello RFD, I've been working at a job running CNC machines for about two years. Last year (Sept. 2014) I enrolled in a college course for CNC programming and machine operating to go further in this field as I quite enjoy it. I just claimed the regular tuition from the T2202a form and that was it.

Since the classes this year have been almost 100% computer based, I am planning to get a computer able to run the CAD, and CAM work I do at school. Before I go ahead and purchase anything, I'm wondering if there's any education type credits available for computer hardware? If there's any criteria or guidelines saying what would be acceptable I'd like to follow it.

Apologies if I left out any crucial information, I'll post anything else that would be required.
6 replies
Feb 13, 2011
267 posts
30 upvotes
The tax experts here will know better. But to my knowledge, you cannot claim computer expenses as a student.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37058 posts
23028 upvotes
Center of Universe
What you can claim:
•fees paid for admission or tuition in a qualifying program
•books included in the fee for a correspondence course (textbook credit).
•laboratory fees;
•library fees;
•mandatory computer service fees;
•academic fees;
•exemption, examination (including re-reading), application, confirmation, diploma, membership, or seminar fees specifically related to a program;
•any GST, HST, and/or PST that is included with or charged on the above.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1084 upvotes
No you can't claim a deduction for the computer. Sorry :(
[OP]
Jan 13, 2013
42 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill | Whit…
Ahh I see, alright thank you everyone for the help.
May 26, 2015
26 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Make sure that you inquire about any student discounts at your educational institution. Often there will be discounted software and hardware offers that may benefit you.

A way that you may be able to write the computer and software off is if you start a business that offers services with this equipment. The equipment would be written off over multiple years. I'm not 100% sure about this option, but I think it would work.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12234 posts
3420 upvotes
ffcoach wrote: Make sure that you inquire about any student discounts at your educational institution. Often there will be discounted software and hardware offers that may benefit you.

A way that you may be able to write the computer and software off is if you start a business that offers services with this equipment. The equipment would be written off over multiple years. I'm not 100% sure about this option, but I think it would work.
You are right on student discounts, but no write off unless it's a business.