• Sep 5th, 2017 2:29 pm
[OP]
Jan 20, 2013
479 posts
81 upvotes
Woodbridge

incoming text forwarding to email, while phone is OFF

Hi all,
Planning to go on short vacation. We have two rogers phones. Probably one would be using roaming service. Would like to have a second phone off, but would be a good idea to receive an sms if someone called or/and left a voice mail for the second line.
Is there is an option to setup sort of forwarding sms to email while the phone is offline? in this case, we could call from the connected phone to check voice mail and/or return call.
Or may be someone has a smarter idea?
P.S. The second line (less important one), which we would like to keep off, does not have a WiFi calling
TIA
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4743 posts
3030 upvotes
LaLaLand
Google Voice does all of this. If you had a working GV number, you could forward your cellphone to your GV number. There are options to email you when you receive a call, sms or voicemail. It even transcribes voicemails for you. However making it work for a Canadian is a new level of difficulty because you need a real US number to verify it. Plus you will need VPN to get the GV number. There is someone on rfd that will verify it for you for $2. I'm not sure if they were kidding or being serious though.

Realistically, why not forward the line to the line that you will be roaming with? Or use an app like Sugar Mobile or TextNow to call daily for messages when you have WiFi?
[OP]
Jan 20, 2013
479 posts
81 upvotes
Woodbridge
GV is not the best option, it would involve a long distance to us number (I have Canada wide)
Call forwarding is an option, but you never know which line has an incoming call, who should answer.
So far I had in mind forwarding to fongo number and run fongo on working phone.
Unless I am missing something with fongo or someone would give a better idea
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14613 posts
12653 upvotes
Going to the Moon
@vnkvnk text to email forwarding requires the phone being on. If you're going on a trip, leave that phone at home on a charger.

Another option is to grab a toll-free number. Might cost a bit more in usage, but there might be caller ID options and could eventually forward to a Canada or US number.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14613 posts
12653 upvotes
Going to the Moon
l69norm wrote: If you have Rogers/ Fido, checkout extreme texting

http://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/add- ... -messaging

Don't think Bell/Telus has anything similar
Bell just launched advanced messaging but it's still new and hardly anyone happens to have a compatible handset on their network. Give it a couple years and most Bell/Virgin subscribers will benefit from it.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]