• Aug 20th, 2021 4:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7726 posts
5710 upvotes
Toronto

Inconsistent moderation for trolling

For anyone who frequents the Toronto Raptors thread, they are well aware that it is often pestered by a ridiculous troll over the last 4 years. It's a pretty decent thread, with all sorts of regular contributors weighing in on things pertaining to the team. Given that it is a sports thread, and things can get it heated, I'd say most contributors are fairly mindful of each other. The troll, on the other hand, is the very opposite. If you look over his post history, you can see that he is pretty much posting the same things over and over and over and over and over and over, purposefully trying to pick a fight and annoy other users in the thread. He clearly has zero interest in any meaningful discourse - all he does is repeat varying taunts, doing what he can to get under the skin of other users.

Generally, I'm fairly laissez fair on what people post. I don't mind opposing trolls jumping into team threads to stir things up, as I don't think these thread should serve as fandom echo chambers.

In any case.... I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry today.

As a form of satire, I manipulated some direct quotes from the TV series "South Park". To be clear, this was not a direct (or quoted) response to the troll user, nor did I identify him by name. My post simply contained adapted dialogue between Eric Cartman and his mom, pretty much emphasizing that Cartman is an a-hole who says anything, and doesn't care what other people think.

Moderation deleted this post, and cited me an infraction for "rudeness".
I honestly don't really care about the post being removed (it really wasn't that original or funny).
I just found it fairly ironic to be given an infraction for rudeness when the user whom I indirectly referenced is hands down the rudest contributor within the thread.

Why does the freedom of this individual outweigh the needs of the community?
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
1 reply
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16850 posts
32966 upvotes
Scarborough
We're aware of the current situation in the Raptors thread (it was actually just brought up in our staff forum today) and are taking extra measures to deal with it. As for infractions, we don't discuss the actions taken against user accounts publicly but if you want to further discuss what happened with your post, you're welcome to PM me.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]