Automotive

ON to increase penalties for stunt driving/racing

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8715 posts
2416 upvotes

ON to increase penalties for stunt driving/racing

"including longer driver’s licence suspensions and longer vehicle impoundment periods for drivers who engage in stunt driving, street racing and aggressive driving."

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1000 ... eet-racing

watchout young drivers

"Roadside driver’s licence suspensions for street racing/stunt driving increased an additional 52 per cent between March and August 2020 compared to the same period in 2019. Nearly five per cent of drivers suspended during this period had one or more previous suspensions in the previous five years.
Young drivers aged 16-25 represented only 19 per cent of drivers involved in collisions between March and June 2020 but 42 per cent of drivers involved in collisions with a police-recorded speed of 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) or more above the posted limit.
"

The new bill would see roadside vehicle impoundment increase from seven days to 14 days, and roadside driver's licence suspensions extend from seven days to 30 days.

The bill also introduces escalating post-conviction licence suspensions, up to a life-time ban for a fourth infraction.

It would also lower the threshold for laying street racing charges for those travelling 40 km/h or more above the posted limit on roads where the speed limit is less than 80 km/h.
117 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16870 posts
18613 upvotes
Oakville
It will have zero effect on dummies doing this. If it didn't stop them before, it won't stop them now. Only thing that will curb it is to step up enforcement, but it's easier for them to sit by the road and hand out smaller speeding tickets.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6410 posts
2595 upvotes
Ottawa
I've got mixed feelings about this law and the increase. I'm all for the law in cases where it's actually stunt driving / racing but I don't think it should be applied in all cases of simply exceeding by 50 km/h (e.g. IMHO, I don't think someone driving 160 km/h on a 400 series highway with visibility is good and there's light traffic should be charged with stunt driving). I think rather than being an absolute number (like 50km/h) it should a % (like exceeding by 100%). As far as increasing the impound and license suspension, I don't disagree that these should be consequences but I think they should only be after a guilty conviction, not just being charged. (I think the 7 day impound / 7 day suspension is reasonable when you get stopped by I feel that you should be given the opportunity to defend yourself before they can assess a more significant punishment). Ontario already has separate speeding fines and I honestly think that they penalty was plenty severe already. Some of the issues regarding these new increased penalties is that I think it will further encourage drivers to not stop and I think the more severe the penalty is, the less likely officers are of enforcing it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8887 posts
6939 upvotes
Kitchener
michelb wrote: I've got mixed feelings about this law and the increase. I'm all for the law in cases where it's actually stunt driving / racing but I don't think it should be applied in all cases of simply exceeding by 50 km/h (e.g. IMHO, I don't think someone driving 160 km/h on a 400 series highway with visibility is good and there's light traffic should be charged with stunt driving). I think rather than being an absolute number (like 50km/h) it should a % (like exceeding by 100%). As far as increasing the impound and license suspension, I don't disagree that these should be consequences but I think they should only be after a guilty conviction, not just being charged. (I think the 7 day impound / 7 day suspension is reasonable when you get stopped by I feel that you should be given the opportunity to defend yourself before they can assess a more significant punishment). Ontario already has separate speeding fines and I honestly think that they penalty was plenty severe already. Some of the issues regarding these new increased penalties is that I think it will further encourage drivers to not stop and I think the more severe the penalty is, the less likely officers are of enforcing it.
The way it currently is "GUILTY until proven innocent". Even if proven innocent, the license suspension doesn't come off your record and the police don't pay the tow/impound fees (they 100% SHOULD). More like GUILTY even IF proven innocent.

I think that MOST higher performance vehicles SHOULD be able to outrun a Police Interceptor Ford Exploder......this is just going to lead to more police chases.
Feb 8, 2010
472 posts
380 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: I think that MOST higher performance vehicles SHOULD be able to outrun a Police Interceptor Ford Exploder......this is just going to lead to more police chases.
Last time I saw a police Ford Exploder launch start to chase a car near Oakville, it was damn fast. Feels like turbo charged + nitro. Although I think it is completely unnecessary to launch like that to stop a lady driver on HOV lane.

To outrun a Ford Exploder St, need at least be going 230+km/h. Need a serious performance car and very light traffic condition.
Aug 30, 2020
988 posts
1480 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
There's nothing wrong with going 50+ on the 400 series if you're in the left lane, conditions are good, and vehicle has been maintained.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8894 posts
5940 upvotes
Kootenays
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: There's nothing wrong with going 50+ on the 400 series if you're in the left lane, conditions are good, and vehicle has been maintained.
Only if you have lights and siren activated to alert everyone else on the road that you're approaching far faster than they would expect..
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2126 posts
662 upvotes
Toothless. Cops aren't allowed to pursue for HTA offense.

Its only an increased penalty for those who are dumb enough to voluntarily stop for the police.
Not to mention those who are stunt driving, racing etc might be driving without license to begin with anyways.
Last edited by malecoke on Apr 26th, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4195 posts
4381 upvotes
zoro69 wrote:
It would also lower the threshold for laying street racing charges for those travelling 40 km/h or more above the posted limit on roads where the speed limit is less than 80 km/h.
If speed limit >=80km/hr, I'll go <=49km/hr over the limit.
If speed limit <=79km/hr, I'll go <=39km/hr over the limit.

Cool, one more data point to a stupid law. I live in the country where the only thing I'll hit is air. I'll fight idiocy with idiocy.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16870 posts
18613 upvotes
Oakville
Rob_EV wrote: The way it currently is "GUILTY until proven innocent". Even if proven innocent, the license suspension doesn't come off your record and the police don't pay the tow/impound fees (they 100% SHOULD). More like GUILTY even IF proven innocent.

I think that MOST higher performance vehicles SHOULD be able to outrun a Police Interceptor Ford Exploder......this is just going to lead to more police chases.
I agree that cops shouldn't be acting like judges just for speeding.
billy_z wrote: Last time I saw a police Ford Exploder launch start to chase a car near Oakville, it was damn fast. Feels like turbo charged + nitro. Although I think it is completely unnecessary to launch like that to stop a lady driver on HOV lane.

To outrun a Ford Exploder St, need at least be going 230+km/h. Need a serious performance car and very light traffic condition.
Top spec Interceptor can do 241kph and 5.8sec 0-100kph. Just about any decent sports car can do more than 230kph, unless your definition of serious is pretty low spec. Even my old 20 year old BMW 325 can do 255kph (limited), though only 7sec 0-100kph. I think any BMW, Audi, Merc can do 255kph. In fact you can buy an Explorer ST with the same engine and specs. Also Grand Cherokee SRT can do 160mph, Trackhawk can do 190mph, plenty other cars too.

Category___________Ford PI Utility AWD 3.3L___Ford PI Utility AWD 3.0L
Horsepower_______285 hp_____________________400 hp
Torque_____________260 lb-ft___________________415 lb-ft
Top Speed_________141 mph (226kph)_________150 mph (241kph)
0-60 MPH__________7.84 sec____________________5.77 sec
Aug 6, 2017
700 posts
1168 upvotes
I always thought impounding the vehicle is a dumb law and nothing more than a cash grab. You could have lent your car to someone (family/friend etc) and then suddenly get a huge bill for storage/tow when you have nothing to do with the offence. The HTA is already punishing the driver for stunt driving. The car is just a transportation device.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12372 posts
2057 upvotes
GTA
money grab. government gets a cut from tow yard storage fees fyi
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12372 posts
2057 upvotes
GTA
Kingsmen17 wrote: I always thought impounding the vehicle is a dumb law and nothing more than a cash grab. You could have lent your car to someone (family/friend etc) and then suddenly get a huge bill for storage/tow when you have nothing to do with the offence. The HTA is already punishing the driver for stunt driving. The car is just a transportation device.
guilty until proven innocent just like how ontario operates
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16870 posts
18613 upvotes
Oakville
qaz393 wrote: money grab. government gets a cut from tow yard storage fees fyi
Source?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18732 posts
2456 upvotes
Woodbridge
Like gasoline prices, I can bitch and moan all I want nothing is going to change this.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19711 posts
3769 upvotes
Toronto
No enforcement, just harder fist shaking. Typical. This feelz over the law garbage needs to be disposed of and they need to put an actual traffic enforcement unit into place. If they're this useless during the pandemic when less people are driving they're not able to properly police the roads at all.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2365 posts
1043 upvotes
Hometown
Kingsmen17 wrote: I always thought impounding the vehicle is a dumb law and nothing more than a cash grab. You could have lent your car to someone (family/friend etc) and then suddenly get a huge bill for storage/tow when you have nothing to do with the offence. The HTA is already punishing the driver for stunt driving. The car is just a transportation device.
Assuming the idiot you lent your car to was really stunt driving and it was not just a cop with a superiority complex flexing their "power" Impounding that vehicle makes TOTAL sense to me. It is the one thing that gets the offenders attention right away. ESPECIALLY if they borrowed it...

Least of all because if your judgement is so POOR for lack of a better word that you would ever lend your vehicle to someone. Who do something that stupid on a public road. As far as I am concerned you are just pretty much getting what you deserve for being naïve by having to walk for a week and pay some coin to get it back. Especially since you are also lending them your INSURANCE policy in Ontario in most cases, so handing over the keys is not something you should ever do lightly.

Again that is IF they were truly stunt driving, whatever that may be exactly on any given day according to any cop which is another argument entirely that the public has already lost sadly.
Aug 6, 2017
700 posts
1168 upvotes
Canuck2fan wrote: Assuming the idiot you lent your car to was really stunt driving and it was not just a cop with a superiority complex flexing their "power" Impounding that vehicle makes TOTAL sense to me. It is the one thing that gets the offenders attention right away. ESPECIALLY if they borrowed it...

Least of all because if your judgement is so POOR for lack of a better word that you would ever lend your vehicle to someone. Who do something that stupid on a public road. As far as I am concerned you are just pretty much getting what you deserve for being naïve by having to walk for a week and pay some coin to get it back. Especially since you are also lending them your INSURANCE policy in Ontario in most cases, so handing over the keys is not something you should ever do lightly.

Again that is IF they were truly stunt driving, whatever that may be exactly on any given day according to any cop which is another argument entirely that the public has already lost sadly.
I guess you don't have kids or family members.
Jul 3, 2001
819 posts
222 upvotes
GTA
engineered wrote: It will have zero effect on dummies doing this. If it didn't stop them before, it won't stop them now. Only thing that will curb it is to step up enforcement, but it's easier for them to sit by the road and hand out smaller speeding tickets.
Except that now if they do it 4 times, they'll get a life time driving ban. It's hard to drive dangerously if you don't have a license. Very big deterrent.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16870 posts
18613 upvotes
Oakville
Binden wrote: Except that now if they do it 4 times, they'll get a life time driving ban. It's hard to drive dangerously if you don't have a license. Very big deterrent.
That part I don't mind, but it should be like, 2 times. But that just means people will keep driving around without a license or insurance. There's already too many doing it.