Automotive

ON to increase penalties for stunt driving/racing

Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
12669 posts
9276 upvotes
Edmonton
Don’t have a horse in this race (being in Alberta), but that’s never stopped me before.

I don’t think the police should be roadside judge/executioners. Yeah, tow the vehicle if you don’t think they should be driving. After that, it should go to the courts.

The penalties, in the other hand, I have no problems with. I wish they were more stringent here for dangerous drivers, which includes 50 km/h over. No excuse for that shit. Find a track if you want to exercise your need for speed.

C
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2424 posts
1091 upvotes
Hometown
Kingsmen17 wrote: I guess you don't have kids or family members.
None that would ever get to use my vehicle if I thought there a chance they would stunt drive.... I have seen too many friends give their kids/family who they KNEW were total idiots behind the wheel the use of their vehicle, when they should not have. LOL

The conversation always goes... I KNEW better than to do it but I felt pressured. Yeah right. LOL
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2424 posts
1091 upvotes
Hometown
Binden wrote: Except that now if they do it 4 times, they'll get a life time driving ban. It's hard to drive dangerously if you don't have a license. Very big deterrent.
Yeah sure, it is a big deterrent to a law abiding person.

To an idiot with more than one stunt driving conviction probably not so much LOL. Not having a little piece of plastic with some numbers on it does not physically hamper their ability to smash a gas peddle or turn a steering wheel in any way. It really takes a conscience which they might or might not have.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1250 posts
616 upvotes
Don't they use planes and tanks to catch stunt drivers?

Wait nvm, that's in F&F
Member
Sep 22, 2020
363 posts
463 upvotes
Kingsmen17 wrote: I always thought impounding the vehicle is a dumb law and nothing more than a cash grab. You could have lent your car to someone (family/friend etc) and then suddenly get a huge bill for storage/tow when you have nothing to do with the offence. The HTA is already punishing the driver for stunt driving. The car is just a transportation device.
I agree, A person who is giving a car along with ownership and insurance shouldn’t be punished by having their car impounded. Instead, insurance companies should go after the person who gave the car and the one who was driving it. If someone is found guilty of stunt driving, then whoever gave that person a car would think twice before giving it to them again. I would say insurance premiums should go up at least 2-3 times for at least couple of years....and lower the premiums for everyone else:) Win-win situation for good drivers and insurance companies.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 7, 2007
3844 posts
2238 upvotes
GTA
Isn’t this law a bit open to interpretation by the officer? There was a thread on here where a guy in a BMW apparently was turning left “fast” where his wheels spun and the cop ticketed him with stunt driving. Not sure how that turned out though.

Dashcams are more important than ever if you ever needed to plead your case to defend yourself.
Newbie
Apr 21, 2011
80 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa - Overbook
Got tagged in VA going 92 mph in a 70 mph zone (empty highway, late at night, heading home to Canada). Max penalty for going over 85 mph on I-95 is 1 year in jail, $2500 and a 6 month driving suspension. The violation is equal to drinking and driving and can make it so I can no longer cross the border into the US. Even when highway is busy, 90% of traffic travels at 80 mph.

Legislators have gone nuts. There they call it Reckless. Far from reality. Laws are way out of proportion, with the goal of enriching the state (and a "reckless lawyers") all based on a big lie.

To make things worse, the state lets the lawyers know I have been charged and they are sending me letters asking me to hire them to "fix" this.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1683 posts
1074 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
ADRiiAN` wrote: Isn’t this law a bit open to interpretation by the officer? There was a thread on here where a guy in a BMW apparently was turning left “fast” where his wheels spun and the cop ticketed him with stunt driving. Not sure how that turned out though.

Dashcams are more important than ever if you ever needed to plead your case to defend yourself.
If I’m not mistaken he was in the dedicated left turn lane but when the light turned green he didn’t have an advanced turn light - he just floored it to make the turn in order to beat opposing traffic which also turned green off the line. Cop charged him with stunt driving for the act.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 7, 2007
3844 posts
2238 upvotes
GTA
100Pacer wrote: If I’m not mistaken he was in the dedicated left turn lane but when the light turned green he didn’t have an advanced turn light - he just floored it to make the turn in order to beat opposing traffic which also turned green off the line. Cop charged him with stunt driving for the act.
If that is the case, that doesn’t seem like it’s grounds for a stunt driving. Careless definitely.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1683 posts
1074 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
YrocMorf wrote: Got tagged in VA going 92 mph in a 70 mph zone (empty highway, late at night, heading home to Canada). Max penalty for going over 85 mph on I-95 is 1 year in jail, $2500 and a 6 month driving suspension. The violation is equal to drinking and driving and can make it so I can no longer cross the border into the US. Even when highway is busy, 90% of traffic travels at 80 mph.

Legislators have gone nuts. There they call it Reckless. Far from reality. Laws are way out of proportion, with the goal of enriching the state (and a "reckless lawyers") all based on a big lie.

To make things worse, the state lets the lawyers know I have been charged and they are sending me letters asking me to hire them to "fix" this.
When did this happen? If it impedes your ability to enter the States should you be convicted as charged it certainly doesn’t hurt to consult with a local lawyer and see if you can get the charge reduced and simply plead guilty to a lower amount/lesser charge. Pay the fine and don’t lose your access which is still coming out ahead since Virginia doesn’t have a reciprocity agreement with Ontario or Quebec unless I’m mistaken?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
4768 posts
2265 upvotes
zoro69 wrote:
The bill also introduces escalating post-conviction licence suspensions, up to a life-time ban
A life ban? For speeding regularly?

Do you know that Marco Muzzo, the idiot that killed 4 people, was banned from driving for only 12 years (after he got out of prison)?

Drunk drivers that hurt or kill people need a life-ban from driving. Not regular people who speed (and hurt no one, because there was no accident).

THIS IS A BIZARRO WORLD. Ontario is all upside-down.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 19, 2001
8772 posts
2446 upvotes
motomondo wrote: A life ban? For speeding regularly?

Do you know that Marco Muzzo, the idiot that killed 4 people, was banned from driving for only 12 years (after he got out of prison)?

Drunk drivers that hurt or kill people need a life-ban from driving. Not regular people who speed (and hurt no one, because there was no accident).

THIS IS A BIZARRO WORLD. Ontario is all upside-down.

you failed to read

"Young drivers aged 16-25 represented only 19 per cent of drivers involved in collisions between March and June 2020 but 42 per cent of drivers involved in collisions with a police-recorded speed of 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) or more above the posted limit.
"
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
13226 posts
10114 upvotes
GTA, ON
Good.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17199 posts
19096 upvotes
Oakville
qaz393 wrote: they aRe contracted by the police force.
Are they? I think there's just kickbacks that corrupt police get for calling their tow truck buddies. So corrupt cops get a cut, not the gov't coffers.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Member
Oct 25, 2020
292 posts
212 upvotes
Apparently they handed out over 140 infractions this past weekend in Ottawa Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes.

ONE guy got pulled over with his 4th stunt driving charge. How dumb do you gotta be?

I hate the idea of blanket 50kmh+ being considered stunt driving. I'm more annoyed autocross and other motorsports are shut down right now. I'd much rather go there and race.

Mobing around the city streets is not worth it. Too much traffic, idiots, and risk of tickets.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
4768 posts
2265 upvotes
zoro69 wrote: you failed to read

"Young drivers aged 16-25 represented only 19 per cent of drivers involved in collisions between March and June 2020 but 42 per cent of drivers involved in collisions with a police-recorded speed of 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) or more above the posted limit.
"
You fail to understand. They quote is talking about collisions. Speeding doesn't always result in an accident. This is the typical FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt), which is used to pass authoritarian laws.

"Young drivers are getting into accidents... Think of the children!!". Please, let's get real and use logic !!! Furthermore, they are using an extremely small window of time (March to June 2020) during the pandemic. These are not the regular conditions. The reduced volume of cars on the roads allowed people to speed more.

If young drivers are involved in collisions, then we need to introduce mandatory driving training, and we need to reform the Graduated Licensing System. And we need the police to actually enforce the no hand-held electronic devices while driving, which is a big root cause of collisions.

So do not get confused. Speeding is an action that doesn't necessarily involve a collision.

This law is sheer stupidity.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2424 posts
1091 upvotes
Hometown
motomondo wrote: A life ban? For speeding regularly?

Do you know that Marco Muzzo, the idiot that killed 4 people, was banned from driving for only 12 years (after he got out of prison)?

Drunk drivers that hurt or kill people need a life-ban from driving. Not regular people who speed (and hurt no one, because there was no accident).

THIS IS A BIZARRO WORLD. Ontario is all upside-down.
This is the issue.... You do not see going 50kph over the limit REGULARLY as being anything to be concerned about, and getting caught charged and convicted 4 TIMES. Which probably means they got away with it 10 to 20 times without being caught.

On a race track I agree speeding is nothing to be concerned about. However, on public roads, with the talent level of the other drivers being less than ideal at best. It is a huge issue especially given the condition of most roads here in Ontario.

At 50kph over you have a potential closing speed of 1.5 times or higher than what other traffic might be doing. Never a good thing to have happening a regular basis.

If people want to race at 50kph over and get caught and convicted 4 times they need to go to a track or walk for then on, it is just that simple.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
4768 posts
2265 upvotes
Canuck2fan wrote: This is the issue.... You do not see going 50kph over the limit REGULARLY as being anything to be concerned about, and getting caught charged and convicted 4 TIMES. Which probably means they got away with it 10 to 20 times without being caught.

On a race track I agree speeding is nothing to be concerned about. However, on public roads, with the talent level of the other drivers being less than ideal at best. It is a huge issue especially given the condition of most roads here in Ontario.

At 50kph over you have a potential closing speed of 1.5 times or higher than what other traffic might be doing. Never a good thing to have happening a regular basis.

If people want to race at 50kph over and get caught and convicted 4 times they need to go to a track or walk for then on, it is just that simple.


The issue I mentioned is that we are going to end up in a Bizarro world like in the comics.

Laws that would punish people the wrong way.

  • A driver that regularly speeds up at 50 kph or more over the speeding limit is fined 4 times. NO accidents. No collisions. No people hurt. RESULT: Banned for life.
  • A drunk driver like Marco Muzzo (or high on pot) that actually demonstrates gross indifference for the life of others has a massive collision. Children are actually killed. RESULT: Banned for 12 years.

How would you justify that scenario?

Please make note: I am not arguing for a "free for all" on the highways. I am not proposing to remove the speed limit. The system and fines we had for speeding (before stunt/racing law) were perfectly fine.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
13226 posts
10114 upvotes
GTA, ON
Y'all need to have your rides impounded and licenses taken away... Lol
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!

Top