• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2021 7:01 pm
[OP]
Aug 16, 2011
991 posts
1002 upvotes
NORTH YORK

Indian man's voice in google maps

Weirdest thing happened to me today. I'm on the highway and using google maps in my idrive system (bmw), and the regular american voice lady is giving me directions. Suddenly an Indian guys' voice with a really heavy accent repeated the same directions. At first I thought I got the Apple hack on my phone and he managed to get through bluetooth, then I thought maybe there's an indian guy in my trunk, and then I thought that maybe BMW's Emergency call system got hacked and he's trolling me through that. But now I'm thinking that this is an issue with Google Maps.

ANyone else experience this?
60 replies
May 31, 2008
238 posts
395 upvotes
There is a setting that can change the voices, but I'm not sure how it would happen on its own unless there was some glitch.
If you go to the navigation setting, then voice selection, when you scroll down you will see many other English choices, including English (India).

On my phone, it is an Indian woman's voice.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1164 posts
1046 upvotes
ON
Very weird. Sitting at home i just turned on navigation on google maps on my iPhone and lo and behold, I hear the same male Indian voice! Face With Tears Of Joy

Never happened to me before. What’s up google? Did you fire the female due to not being vaccinated? Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Its a sign? Indian food for dinner?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3705 posts
976 upvotes
Home
loooool it's always been the American lady voice, and yes, just tried Google Maps direction navigation and it's the Indian male voice! What's going on at Google?
[OP]
Aug 16, 2011
991 posts
1002 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Ok glad its a global issue. Phew
May 31, 2008
238 posts
395 upvotes
Hey.. What the? Me too... lol
The funny this is when you check the settings, it shows the default woman's voice is enabled.
Jan 7, 2005
799 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
Happens to me yesterday as well. Search Google and there is nothing reported.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3198 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
Imagine how many Indian are like... wow I didn't know Google Map could do this.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1209 posts
668 upvotes
Toronto
CanKon wrote: Ok glad its a global issue. Phew
Happened to my wife today and she called me about it just before I saw this thread LOL
Oct 21, 2006
748 posts
501 upvotes
there's English (India), think that is why?
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3198 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
Jigsaw wrote: there's English (India), think that is why?
It is an option, but what ppl are reporting (including me), who have it set to the "Default - English (Canada)" are getting the Indian Accent played.

It's a bug for sure.. funny.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6811 posts
7313 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Female UK voice - all day, every day
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Mar 25, 2007
166 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver
Adding in my name to the list of those affected!
My wife and I, actually. Yesterday it was about 30% Indian man, 70% Canadian English lady, but today it’s full fledge Indian.
I can only find settings to change the voice search language, which is not doing anything.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1517 posts
451 upvotes
Lol just tried it on my phone, same thing for me.
Sep 13, 2021
1 posts
1 upvote
The same thing happened to me today in Calgary, Alberta. I go to use my maps today and BAM. It’s an East Indian man navigating me. I became more lost then I was to begin with. Spent a hour trying to change it back but it won’t let me. Not sure what’s going on and what they are subjecting us to now haha.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1328 posts
745 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Same thing happened to my wife today, freaked her out.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1976 posts
1469 upvotes
GTA West
You only need to worry if the Indian man tells you to buy $500 in Apple iTunes gift cards and read back the card numbers.