[Indigo] Indigo Online - 30% Off Fountain Pens

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 12:50 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2004
386 posts
82 upvotes

[Indigo] Indigo Online - 30% Off Fountain Pens

It's rare that you see a sale on fountain pens, let alone original and respected brands like Lamy, Visconti, Faber-Castell, and Monteverde.
The Faber-Castell Loom, Lamy LX series, and Lamy Studio Series are great starter/intermediate pens, and these are terrific prices.
...and buy from a Canadian retailer with free shipping over $25 to boot.
Enjoy!
12 replies
Jul 3, 2002
791 posts
1460 upvotes
Some nice pens
If you are new to fountain pens, just pick up a JINHAO 159 from Aliexpress for $7 - just as good as any of these $75 pens. That's if you like a big chunky pen.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2004
386 posts
82 upvotes
Jinhao makes some OK Chinese knock-off pens. The 159 copies the Mont Blanc 149, a much more expensive FP.
Ornate and cheap in both price and finish, ie. you get what you pay for. Fat and heavy too as it is made of mostly brass and not acrylic.
Good for short writing sessions due to girth and weight. Keep that in mind if you're just starting out.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
1693 posts
1248 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Any chance to have a $10 off $50 coupon code?
Jul 3, 2002
791 posts
1460 upvotes
kev_eh wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:13 pm
Jinhao makes some OK Chinese knock-off pens. The 159 copies the Mont Blanc 149, a much more expensive FP.
Ornate and cheap in both price and finish, ie. you get what you pay for. Fat and heavy too as it is made of mostly brass and not acrylic.
Good for short writing sessions due to girth and weight. Keep that in mind if you're just starting out.
Yes I agree you can't compare a $7 knockoff to a $500 fp
But what a knockoff it is!!
Good to get your feet wet if anyone is interested in their first pen.
Aug 26, 2004
20 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary, AB
The sale seems to apply to other pens as well - I just got a rollerball and a ball point pen. Just search for Lamy, Faber Castell, Visconti, etc.

Thanks for posting the LOVEFEB code! I just cancelled my original order and placed another one with the code.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2004
386 posts
82 upvotes
Not even close, for me. The Pilot VP is a grail pen to some and has an 18K solid gold nib; the GVFC had a steel one, albeit very smooth. The latter is quite pricey, even at 30% off.
You've got a great pen! Especially love the black nib on these models.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2413 posts
409 upvotes
Looks like cheaper pens are on sale as well, is this in store too? I need some clicky pens
Jul 8, 2007
981 posts
805 upvotes
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do I get ink to consistently come out of these pens? I've owned a couple and have had problems with the ink not flowing well and just no ink at all coming out even though the cartridge is full
[OP]
Aug 29, 2004
386 posts
82 upvotes
nicolascon wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:27 am
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do I get ink to consistently come out of these pens? I've owned a couple and have had problems with the ink not flowing well and just no ink at all coming out even though the cartridge is full
Not a stupid question as every FP user has faced this issue. Three potential factors:
1. The feed - this is the plastic piece that flows the ink from the cartridge/converter/reservoir to the nib. Always best to throroghly clean the pen with water before using by flowing the water through the feed either under a tap or with water in the converter/reservoir, and through the assembled section/feed. Feed sometimes needs a clean before first use.
2. The nib - sometimes the two tines at the tip of the nib are too tight together or have bits of paper in them from pressing to hard, and this causes flow issues. I use 0.02" brass sheets passed gently between the tines. I've also been known to press the nib firmly onto my thumb fingernail to separate the tines a little - be very careful if you try this as can cause nib damage (you are warned!)
3. The ink - some ink flows wetter than others, and can help with flow. Look for so-called "wet" inks. I like the simple Waterman inks, myself.
HTH