Careers

Indirectly worked for a company (contractor/proprietor) how do you list this job on your resume?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2020 1:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4015 posts
1172 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

Indirectly worked for a company (contractor/proprietor) how do you list this job on your resume?

Let's say 6-8 years ago I worked for a company, Let`s say Scotia Bank as an example only. When I worked for Scotia Bank (for example) they would only agree to give me work provided I was a self employed sole proprietor or incorporated. I was still listed in Scotia Banks company as an employee, had a login, email, access to their tools and had to do their background check and everything, but instead of being paid by their payroll, I had to invoice them thru my business and their AP would pay my company.

When I am designing my resume and listing all the companies I worked for, during my time at Scotia, do I list this on my resume as Self Employed or do I list it as Scotia Bank? I was told I should NOT list it as Scotia Bank because I was never employed by them and it was misleading? but I was also told by a different colleague I should put that down as its relevant experience and literally no one cares HOW I was employed by them ( IE: contract or on payroll) which would you guys recommend? as i`m getting conflicting information and not sure
Hi
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1184 posts
1024 upvotes
Should put both. Put the name of your company then below it list scotia as the major client you worked for.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4015 posts
1172 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
so a friend of mine who worked there the same time as me transitioned from a contractor to a permanent employee, and from what I heard they backdated his tenure when he was Self Employed as his actual scotia bank seniority, can they do this? and i guess he does not need to put the self employed on his resume but I still need to right?
Hi
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1079 posts
823 upvotes
Ottawa
ProductGuy wrote: Should put both. Put the name of your company then below it list scotia as the major client you worked for.
Agreed.

It also depends a bit on how you've formatted your resume. If you're developing a skills based resume, I think it's perfectly fine to list "(Action verbed) XYZ for Scotia Bank" or some such.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4015 posts
1172 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Well, I'm just going to put Scotia Bank as the employer and put my start and end date and if they ask for further info, im going to explain it was contract employment., I do not think they really need to know I was a sole proprietor and invoiced them instead of getting a pay check, this should be irrelevant to them right? why give them more info than they ask for?
Hi
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
2015 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
If you only had Scotiabank as your only client, I would put

Position title, Self employed Contractor (Scotiabank) Jan 2010-December 2019
Dec 15, 2015
675 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: Well, I'm just going to put Scotia Bank as the employer and put my start and end date and if they ask for further info, im going to explain it was contract employment., I do not think they really need to know I was a sole proprietor and invoiced them instead of getting a pay check, this should be irrelevant to them right? why give them more info than they ask for?
Seems like your trying to hide you were self employed.

Being self employed and holding a large contract for 4+ years is a good thing, highlight your accomplishments, don't bury them.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
2015 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: Well, I'm just going to put Scotia Bank as the employer and put my start and end date and if they ask for further info, im going to explain it was contract employment., I do not think they really need to know I was a sole proprietor and invoiced them instead of getting a pay check, this should be irrelevant to them right? why give them more info than they ask for?
I would still try to indicate somewhere it was contract/self employed. When I worked with an employment agency, my T4 slips were in the agencies name as opposed to the company I was working for but on my resume, I just put the company I worked for. I didn't indicate I was contract so it delayed the process with HR a bit. I still got the job but I made sure to indicate on my resume going forward if it was a contract position next time on my resume just to avoid the hassle.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4015 posts
1172 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Well I put Full-Time, Part-time, Contract, or Seasonal in my resume too depending on which job it relates to so im not hiding anything, just putting it in the description , I find that their keywords scanner gives me better results when I put Scotia Bank (just an example) in my Resume as the company rather than Self Employed Contractor / Sole Proprietor. Get what im sayin? im not trying to hide anything TheMaterial, why u being hard on me? maybe u were not in my shoes before? , Think of it this way, Scotia Bank is the one who is giving me a job but keeping me on a contract to avoid paying out benefits, got it? So theyre the one trying to hide things not me, I'm doing the exact same job as Joe Blow who is my colleage but he is a full time employee.
Hi