[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2592 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver

Indoor TV Antenna?

Hi

I am looking at buying an Indoor TV Antenna but wondering if anyone has one and can recommend one? I seen them range from a few dollars to $30+ dollars. I really am looking for it to watch news (in particular Global news).

On Global websites you can watch the news live but for whatever reason when I load it up on my firestick Firefox browser it is very choppy, it is just hang for a while or just get cut off. Some days (maybe 1 out of 5 days) it will work perfectly with no interruptions. I also checked their app but from what I can tell is you can't get live news (seems to take them a day to upload the new which is kind of useless) unless you have a cable subscription.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3591 posts
936 upvotes
I started off with a cheap $5 prime cables antenna, then bought a 1byone amped antenna which was no better than the cheap $5 finally settling on a Winegard FL5500A FlatWave. This antenna has given me solid signals all year for all canadian OTA channels, use to get a few US channels as well but they changed frequencies last year.

If you don't mind big the the clearstream 2max indoor one is supposed to be the best, but its big and ugly and i don't have space for it, looking to get one mounted in the attic though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2592 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver
JonSnow wrote: I started off with a cheap $5 prime cables antenna, then bought a 1byone amped antenna which was no better than the cheap $5 finally settling on a Winegard FL5500A FlatWave. This antenna has given me solid signals all year for all canadian OTA channels, use to get a few US channels as well but they changed frequencies last year.

If you don't mind big the the clearstream 2max indoor one is supposed to be the best, but its big and ugly and i don't have space for it, looking to get one mounted in the attic though.
So any think any of these cheap ones from aliexpress would be ok?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000534 ... hweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3273837 ... hweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296210 ... hweb201603_

Primecables has one for about $10 I see but the shipping kinda kills it.
Nov 14, 2014
446 posts
272 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Buy it from a place you can return. Reception depends on your location.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2592 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver
whyami wrote: Buy it from a place you can return. Reception depends on your location.
Yeah I was thinking about that but options are limited at bestbuy and staples. Most are around $30 and I really looking to spend max $20.
Nov 14, 2014
446 posts
272 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Check walmart as well. I got mine at walmart. Been using it for almost a decade now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2592 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver
whyami wrote: Check walmart as well. I got mine at walmart. Been using it for almost a decade now.
I checked on walmarts website and most are all sold by 3rd party sellers and the rest are like $40+ range. I am not sure if you can return 3rd party sellers stuff to a local walmart.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1040 posts
629 upvotes
Vancouver
The one thing I can add here is to get one with a built in amplifier. I got one from Primecables that has an AC Adapter and it really improves reception by a lot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2592 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver
kramer1 wrote: The one thing I can add here is to get one with a built in amplifier. I got one from Primecables that has an AC Adapter and it really improves reception by a lot.
Ok good to know, just now the problem of finding one. Wish some main stores would carry one around $20.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3733 posts
3251 upvotes
Markham
xiaobao wrote: So any think any of these cheap ones from aliexpress would be ok?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000534 ... hweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3273837 ... hweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296210 ... hweb201603_

Primecables has one for about $10 I see but the shipping kinda kills it.
Primecables has one selling at $17.24 or $6.89, with or without amplifier respectively.
https://www.primecables.ca/p-356273-cab ... #sku364157

Personally, I would not buy from Aliexpress now because many flights from China to North America are cancelled and will end up waiting for ages. I may as well wait for Primecables promo of Free Shipping which happens quite regularly.
Last edited by drdtyc on Apr 3rd, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4628 posts
2730 upvotes
xiaobao wrote: Ok good to know, just now the problem of finding one. Wish some main stores would carry one around $20.
Just buy one, check reception, find similar cheaper model online, return $30 one. However that's a lot of trouble to save $10-15.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2592 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver
drdtyc wrote: Primecables has one selling at $17.24 or $6.89, with or without amplifier respectively.
https://www.primecables.ca/p-356273-cab ... #sku364157

Personally, I would not buy from Aliexpress now because many flights from China to North America are cancelled and will end up waiting for ages. I may as well wait for Primecables promo of Free Shipping which happens quite regularly.
Seems like even through prime cables it going to take like a month. 5 days of processing time and 10 to 12 business days.
bhrm wrote: Just buy one, check reception, find similar cheaper model online, return $30 one. However that's a lot of trouble to save $10-15.
Well all the stores like Staples and Bestbuy all the "Sold & Ship by them" are all like, $50 to $80 range the rest are all sold by 3rd parties on their market place. The only place I am seeing for $20 to $30 is amazon which I would have to pay for shipping unless I get some filler, but still have the challenge or returning it.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3733 posts
3251 upvotes
Markham
xiaobao wrote: Seems like even through prime cables it going to take like a month. 5 days of processing time and 10 to 12 business days.
My purchases in the past from Aliexpress had never shorter than 50 calendar days. Those were ordinary time unlike now. Thus PrimeCables is reasonably fast to me at the current time. Nonetheless, this is your call.

By the way, I am using this same antenna of PrimeCables without amplifier. It is cheap and good. All in all, the reception of TV signals by any antenna, cheap or expensive, is very much depending on the orientation of the room in your house where you are going to install the antenna.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1502 posts
1755 upvotes
BC
xiaobao wrote: Hi

I am looking at buying an Indoor TV Antenna but wondering if anyone has one and can recommend one? I seen them range from a few dollars to $30+ dollars. I really am looking for it to watch news (in particular Global news).
In Vancouver any cheapo antenna would work as the signal will be pretty strong, you just have to aim it properly as they are directional. It's not like you are trying to pull a Bellingham or Victoria station.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2592 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver
drdtyc wrote: My purchases in the past from Aliexpress had never shorter than 50 calendar days. Those were ordinary time unlike now. Thus PrimeCables is reasonably fast to me at the current time. Nonetheless, this is your call.

By the way, I am using this same antenna of PrimeCables without amplifier. It is cheap and good. All in all, the reception of TV signals by any antenna, cheap or expensive, is very much depending on the orientation of the room in your house where you are going to install the antenna.
Yea, it will take a long time for alliexpress to get here. I may keep my eyes pealed for a free shipping code.
WetCoastGuy wrote: In Vancouver any cheapo antenna would work as the signal will be pretty strong, you just have to aim it properly as they are directional. It's not like you are trying to pull a Bellingham or Victoria station.
Yeah I am hoping on Metro Vancouver it will work fine, from what I seen from the reviews $3 ones work just as well as $30 ones, so that is why I don't want to buy a expensive one but at the same time having a hard time to find a cheap one that won't be a killer in shipping or take like 4 months to come.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2592 posts
491 upvotes
Vancouver
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,
https://nocable.org/availability-report ... ncouver-bc
You do realize that the t.v. transmission tower is on Seymour Mountain. If you don't have a line of sight to Seymour Mountain, you're out of luck. If you're handy with home handyman tools, you can build your own indoor antenna.
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sour ... ent=psy-ab
hmm according to that site I will get like 3 channels. I am trying one more thing with the news. I am now playing it in my chrome browser and then chrome casting it to my TV. It seemed today to work pretty well with it only freezing once. I going to try that for a few days and see how that works then decide what to do.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1017 posts
823 upvotes
you can build your own HDTV antenna - I used something like this homemade one for years, but then I upgraded to PRIMECABLES flat window model with AMPLIFIER.

The DIY model works well, but once in a while it would cut in/out for one of the channels. The PRIMECABLES flat window model with AMPLIFIER solved this for me...

there are many more DIY videos on youtube, but they all look alike, and perform just as well...

Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5695 posts
2261 upvotes
Debtario
Try DIY if you have time. TBH you could even use some speaker wire with the ends slit off into a T shape, or coiled in a loop, twist the other end of exposed wire and thread it into the antenna in coax connector. Ghetto, but it can work surprisingly well depending on your location/signal strengths.

I have a passive RCA flat antenna from the 2013 RFD dollarama deal, still going strong but it will only work great in the living room with a large window, in my room I need amplification to get 2-3 channels so I don't bother there. I have had mixed results with amplification, doesn't guarantee you'll pull in channels and with any consistency.

For reference the model i have is the RCA ANT1050, original thread here: rca-hdtv-antenna-3-dollarama-1386817/
I'd have bought another as a spare if I knew how well it works, when you assemble it it looks/feels like it's barely worth $4 lol
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15064 posts
2646 upvotes
xiaobao wrote: Hi

On Global websites you can watch the news live but for whatever reason when I load it up on my firestick Firefox browser it is very choppy, it is just hang for a while or just get cut off. Some days (maybe 1 out of 5 days) it will work perfectly with no interruptions. I also checked their app but from what I can tell is you can't get live news (seems to take them a day to upload the new which is kind of useless) unless you have a cable subscription.
https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=29

If you live in a high density area with a lot of tall buildings you will likely have an issue with the signal reception due to an obstruction and a signal interference.